Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity - what is it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently bought M3. I am still figuring out things that it does. I have to say that I love the car, but not too happy about the missing functionality - I paid for EAP. Still, will wait and see on that. My question is about premium connectivity. Apart from telling you about traffic jams, what does it do? Does it provide wifi? My car asks me about connecting to wifi and I have the 30 day trial of premium connectivity, so not sure that it is provided. I am probably being a bit stupid here but any help appreciated.

Here is what all Premium includes.

I believe it’s worth it. Just for music streaming alone along with traffic and Sentry Live cams.
Live Traffic Visualization
Sentry Mode - View Live Camera
Satellite-View Maps
Video Streaming**
Caraoke*
Music Streaming**
Internet Browser*

Attachments

• 57304196-FF73-47F5-8203-61290C08F234.jpeg
    57304196-FF73-47F5-8203-61290C08F234.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 481
  • Informative
Reactions: BitJam
Upvote 0
Talked about often. I'm too new to answer succincly, but there are lots of posts on this. If will come down to how you want your music (no RF tuner is included. Personally I'm gonna use the premium, then try tethering, and if we miss the colored updates on the nav screen (all you lose nav wise) then I'm happy to spend the $100 a year.

Upvote 0
Here is what all Premium includes.
Live Traffic Visualization
Sentry Mode - View Live Camera
Satellite-View Maps
Video Streaming**
Caraoke*
Music Streaming**
Internet Browser*
That was on the email but still does not tell me what it is. It says about wifi. To me, that needs you need wifi in addition to PC. Therefore not seeing the benefit. As I said before, could just be me not getting it.

Upvote 0
Talked about often. I'm too new to answer succincly, but there are lots of posts on this. If will come down to how you want your music (no RF tuner is included. Personally I'm gonna use the premium, then try tethering, and if we miss the colored updates on the nav screen (all you lose nav wise) then I'm happy to spend the $100 a year.
Am in the UK. Costs more than that here! However, cost is not the issue, just can’t figure exactly what the benefit is

Upvote 0
That was on the email but still does not tell me what it is. It says about wifi. To me, that needs you need wifi in addition to PC. Therefore not seeing the benefit. As I said before, could just be me not getting it.
If the car is connected to WiFi, you'll get those features. But once you drive off and the car loses WiFi and connects to LTE, you won't get those features unless you subscribe to PC. I use it for live traffic and streaming audio while driving. Live traffic is kinda useless if you get a snapshot at the beginning of your drive and then all data becomes stale, and streaming audio kinda requires continuous connectivity.

I also do not give my car any WiFi credentials because I don't want it constantly nagging me to update the software, since Tesla had so many software bugs that I don't install any new version until it's been out for at least 4 weeks and I haven't seen anyone report serious issues with it. Then once I decide to install a new version, I'll give it the credentials so it can download the software, install the new version, then revoke the credentials again. So actually, I would never have these features if I didn't have PC.

Upvote 0
I recently bought M3. I am still figuring out things that it does. I have to say that I love the car, but not too happy about the missing functionality - I paid for EAP. Still, will wait and see on that. My question is about premium connectivity. Apart from telling you about traffic jams, what does it do? Does it provide wifi? My car asks me about connecting to wifi and I have the 30 day trial of premium connectivity, so not sure that it is provided. I am probably being a bit stupid here but any help appreciated.
It allows you to have cellular data on the car. it wants wifi when you are home for it to download updates Etc as needed.

Upvote 0
If the car is connected to WiFi, you'll get those features. But once you drive off and the car loses WiFi and connects to LTE, you won't get those features unless you subscribe to PC. I use it for live traffic and streaming audio while driving. Live traffic is kinda useless if you get a snapshot at the beginning of your drive and then all data becomes stale, and streaming audio kinda requires continuous connectivity.

I also do not give my car any WiFi credentials because I don't want it constantly nagging me to update the software, since Tesla had so many software bugs that I don't install any new version until it's been out for at least 4 weeks and I haven't seen anyone report serious issues with it. Then once I decide to install a new version, I'll give it the credentials so it can download the software, install the new version, then revoke the credentials again. So actually, I would never have these features if I didn't have PC.
Thanks for this info. I think I need to sit in the car longer and switch on things. I will just subscribe to PC anyway, it is not too big a cost. It is actually pretty overwhelming for a new owner to work out what to switch on/off, where to find it etc. This forum has been helpful in a lot of things.

Upvote 0
Am in the UK. Costs more than that here! However, cost is not the issue, just can’t figure exactly what the benefit is
There's no rush. You might want to see what it is like to skip paying for Premium Connectivity.

Premium Connectivity does not provide wifi.

If you pay for internet at home, you can broadcast your own wifi but again, Premium Connectivity does not provide wifi.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I recommend taking a look through the tesla website on it, and looking thorough the faqs there, then coming back and asking a specific question if you are still unclear.

here is the website tesla has for premium connectivity features:

This site also has a bunch of frequently asked questions they answer. Hope that helps.

• Informative
Upvote 0
My understanding is that you need PC for certain features even if you tether to your phone for wifi. I have PC and never give it a thought though so I couldn't tell you all the features. Tidal for one, even if you download songs it needs PC to check with Tidal that you are still a valid user. Live traffic is the other that comes to mind. But will these work without PC if I'm tethered? I don't know. It seems like a small price to pay though.

Upvote 0
They bundled my *must have* feature into PC -- Sentry live view -- so I ended up subscribing to it. It's worth it at $10 a month. When you're paying north of $700 a month for your car payment, $10 doesn't seem like a big deal for what you get.
Mine was bought outright so no payments. However, subscribed to PC as I noticed some differences after free trial. I just hate anything on subscription. I would prefer to pay annually. I know it is no different and makes no sense…..probably an age thing 😂

Upvote 1
My understanding is that you need PC for certain features even if you tether to your phone for wifi. I have PC and never give it a thought though so I couldn't tell you all the features. Tidal for one, even if you download songs it needs PC to check with Tidal that you are still a valid user. Live traffic is the other that comes to mind. But will these work without PC if I'm tethered? I don't know. It seems like a small price to pay though.
Agreed small price to pay, but with cost of car why have an additional £120 a year. It makes no sense when you have already paid around £60k for the car. Still, have subscribed. FOMO! 🤣

Upvote 0