Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extend range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you guys arrive home from work detoxed and refreshed after a long commute, or does that wear you out even worse than the workday? Driving a Tesla never gets old, so a long commute isn't as bad as it used to be. I've always been curious what a commute like that does to someone. Here in NH I don't know anyone who has a drive longer than 45 min.

Do you guys arrive home from work detoxed and refreshed after a long commute, or does that wear you out even worse than the workday? Driving a Tesla never gets old, so a long commute isn't as bad as it used to be. I've always been curious what a commute like that does to someone. Here in NH I don't know anyone who has a drive longer than 45 min.
In my case, my 2+ hour drive home is 20 miles of heavy traffic, 20 miles of 80MPH, then 20 miles of heavy traffic. There's really no way to feel good about that. The overwhelming feeling of despair fades over time, and you grow to accept that the commute is terrible.

I think it helped me a lot to put it into perspective with some of my co-workers. I work in San Diego, and most of my coworkers live in SD. Many of them have almost hour long commutes despite living in the same general area. I live out of the area where I can afford a MUCH nicer/bigger house in a (IMO) MUCH nicer neighborhood, the price I pay is the commute. I knew what I was getting into when I bought my first house 20 years ago, but since then the commute times have doubled or more and continue to degrade. I also have coworkers that live in China and India. They take multiple buses, multiple trains, and walk to work (well over 4 hours a day). Their commutes are worse than mine, I assure you.

Buying the Tesla made a significant difference in the drive for obvious reasons. TACC alone is a lifesaver when you're in so much slow freeway traffic constantly speeding up and slowing down. The gas savings is very significant, but of course doesn't fully offset a car payment. A combination of the slow traffic and mild winter gives me really great efficiency. My daily drive is 119.8 miles, and I use 27 kWh according to the trip computer. My "lifetime" usage over 10K miles is 228 Wh/mi as of this morning. The comfort level is great, I get out even after a particularly bad day with very little issue.

BTW: If you want to blend in, buy a Tesla and drive around Sorrento Valley in San Diego.

Reactions: Paddy3101 and KenC