Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla’s do last

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Budie

2020 Model 3 SR+, 3k+ miles driven a month.
Jan 7, 2024
Titusville,FL
Here I have my Model 3 SR+ with 87k miles and still getting 230+/- Wh/mi on the highway! Averaging 70-75mph.

So I just want to encourage you all. Tesla’s do last and are very very good cars. Even when you beat them to hell. I have not in anyway babied my car at all. I supercharge my every week and drive 3,000+ miles every month. Drift and drive like a maniac! And the only maintenance I’ve done is one set of tires and refill the window washer fluid.

Attachments

• DD3FB067-2EF0-4127-82BF-0173A41D6C51.jpeg
    DD3FB067-2EF0-4127-82BF-0173A41D6C51.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 7A6BFB13-3555-4EA4-8D89-60736BD9C466.jpeg
    7A6BFB13-3555-4EA4-8D89-60736BD9C466.jpeg
    998.5 KB · Views: 24
Some of us regard 87,000 miles as still being a new car. Let's talk after 15 years and 200k miles.

No offense, but in no way is a car with 87,000 miles on its odometer "new" unless it is "new" to you because you just purchased it. A car with this many miles on it, EV or ICE, is no longer considered new by any stretch of one's imagination.

No offense, but in no way is a car with 87,000 miles on its odometer "new" unless it is "new" to you because you just purchased it. A car with this many miles on it, EV or ICE, is no longer considered new by any stretch of one's imagination.
I think the point is more that no car should have meaningful issues at 87k. It should just be routine maintenance. Realistically if there are commonly major failures before 200k, that would be considered unreliable

Reactions: evo9rs and rwiegand
I was in my mid-40's before I ever owned a car with that few miles on it; I'd regard any modern car of any sort that required significant mechanical repairs beyond routine maintenance (tires, brakes etc) before 100K miles as unreliable. So yes, I regard the sub-100K miles period as the "honeymoon" time during which I expect a new car not to break. Obviously a car with that many miles will be beginning to show wear and tear, so my comment was a bit tongue in cheek, but the point being that, unless a car is really awful, 87K miles should tell you almost nothing about its potential longevity.

but the point being that, unless a car is really awful, 87K miles should tell you almost nothing about its potential longevity.
I've owned a couple of BMW's that manifested a lot of issues around 80k miles. Plastic cooling system parts love to split, various ancilliaries throw a wobbler. That's just my experience, but having hung around BMW forums I'm certainly not unique.

Reactions: buckets0fun
My Model 3 RWD has about 21K miles and tires almost need to be replaced. I bought it in April. How long did your first set last?
Teslas tires lasted about 25k for me. But I didn't go back to tesla to get my tires replaced because I thought surely could get more out tires then that. so I went to local shop near me and had them put on some Toyo tires and they lasted me 55k miles! so I went right back and bought the same tires
(Toyo Tires 255/45R18 103W) but those are much larger then the stock tires because I was going for a specific look. The total cost for the toyo tires balenced and monted was $950!

I've owned a couple of BMW's that manifested a lot of issues around 80k miles. Plastic cooling system parts love to split, various ancilliaries throw a wobbler. That's just my experience, but having hung around BMW forums I'm certainly not unique.
Yes, definitely not unique! My BMW problems began around 40K miles and went on from there. That's why BMWs are on my fun but unreliable list. I didn't buy another one. Being slow on the uptake I followed up with a Mini, it broke constantly, but I loved it anyway. Meanwhile DW just drove her Toyotas and a Ford C-max for years and years with no trouble. About 20K on the Model Y at this point.

Reactions: buckets0fun