Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extend range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What settings or adjustments can I do to extend my range on SR+? I get about 170 instead of 250 on a charge, that’s a big gap. I travel a fixed 236 mile commute 3-5 times per week so I know my range is off. It is mostly freeway and I travel about 70-75mph which is standard for this freeway. Service center wasn’t much help but after the first leg my range is depleted and I have to fully recharge to make it home. 30% range loss seems extreme so there must be some sort of settings I can do to reduce the usage per mile? The road is flat.

You are charging to 100% right? What is your typical Wh/mi reading? It needs to be 230-ish to achieve maximum range.
To help try to maintain a constant speed. Use Chill mode. Accelerate slowly. Use the brakes as little as possible. Max tire pressure. Aero wheel covers. I imagine you are mostly on the flat if Clovis is your home base so you should do better than most.

It needs to be 230-ish to achieve maximum range.

That's a little optimistic for a 2020 SR+, the OP's vehicle.

What settings or adjustments can I do to extend my range on SR+? I get about 170 instead of 250 on a charge, that’s a big gap.

If you want to get 250 miles on a 100% to 0% discharge, for a 2020 SR+ (what you have - it is different for other vehicles), you need to see your Wh/mi on the trip meter read about 199Wh/mi. Since you have a brand new vehicle, it's possible you might be able to accomplish this with ~202Wh/mi.

If you can, post a picture of the screen showing rated miles at the beginning of your drive (along with the trip meter details), and another picture at the very end of your one-way trip, showing the trip meter (showing miles traveled and efficiency), again capturing your remaining rated miles, with no time spent in park between the two pictures.

In this post, you can look at the BMS & discharge constants to get an idea of how it works.
2020, 2019, 2018 Model 3 Battery Capacities & Charging Constants

If you don't want to use the buffer (you don't!), you'll only be able to achieve about 95.5% of the EPA range (239 miles) at the rated consumption of 211Wh/mi. Or, 100% of the EPA range at ~4.5% less than the rated consumption...

Seems like a lot of driving for an SR+! This would be more easily accomplished in an LR, and even there it would be difficult at these speeds in all conditions.

Last edited:
You are not going to get 250 miles of range driving 70-75mph. If you reduce your speed to 65 your efficiency will improve. If you can reduce it to 55 or 60mph it will improve even more, although I know it is not easy to drive that slow on California freeways.

• Informative
Reactions: daniel
You'll be much happier in a few months.

Personally, if I had a commute of 236 miles on a near daily basis, I would never be happy. And I'd be even less happy if I had to do it in an SR+, unless I had destination charging at work. It would be brutal having to Supercharge on every commute.

You shouldn’t have bought an SR+ for that long of a commute. Bad call.
Agreed. That’s too much of a commute for a sr+. You have very little room for error. You have to be mindful of speed, hvac, elevation changes, cabin overheat mode, sentry mode, etc... those factors affect gas car too but you can’t freely and easily recharge in minutes obviously. I’d trade it in or get rid of it. Wrong car for your needs.

Try to find a way to charge at work, then you can drive there and back without having to make extra charging stops on the way.

I'd run some
simulations on ABRP, abetterrouteplanner.com, to get some ideas what factors might make a difference. Obviously, play around with speed and charge levels. There's no pat answer, since slowing down, may save you a charging stop, but you're going slower, so driving time is longer. The two may cancel each other out. You can use simulations to test out the possibilities. Driving slower than the surrounding traffic also isn't a great idea, since that makes you a moving chicane, not the safest thing, and you are going to drive in the right lane where there are more semis, so more potential broken windshields from road debris, that's no good either.

Reactions: strykeroz