Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended bumper to bumper warranty.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a Toyota currently and paid £40 monthly for an year which covers me for two years. Not sure how well it will relate to Tesla though. At the end of two years I can start paying again as long as I'm under 100k.

As time draws closer to the imminent delivery of my Model 3 (787 days to go), can anyone confirm what options I have for a decent extended warranty. What I want is an 8 year 100,000 mile b2b cover. Is there such a thing?

You're the only one I've seen with an exact countdown, how'd you figure that?

That's well worth it. Even at £500 a year, a total £4000 over 8 years would still be less than a replacement charger or a new charging port/dead air suspension/brake calipers would cost.

Warranties in general are a ripoff that preys on the sheep mentality. That's why dealerships push them so much. Do you really prefer a 100% chance of paying $4,000 compared to a 10% (or less) chance of paying $5,000??? Not what I would call "well worth it". Even at a 50% failure rate, that makes no sense. You should reconsider.

The laws on this can vary by location but any manufacturer is generally responsible for providing a marketable item. So you're basically asking to pay extra for something they should do anyway.

Reactions: DavidP
Warranties in general are a ripoff that preys on the sheep mentality. That's why dealerships push them so much. Do you really prefer a 100% chance of paying $4,000 compared to a 10% (or less) chance of paying $5,000??? Not what I would call "well worth it". Even at a 50% failure rate, that makes no sense. You should reconsider.

For this particular brand, I would think an extended warranty might be in order, especially one that not only offers peace of mind but is reasonably priced as well. I would rather have a good extended warranty that is reasonably priced and transferable over free Supercharging included free.

I could take my 10-year old Lexus to any number of independent repairs shops that would charge less than half what a Lexus dealership would charge. Not the same for Tesla however, and their repairs appear to be pretty pricey. On-the-hand, my LS-430 has never required a mechanical repair of any type.

Many years ago, I was going to buy a BMW and inquired about an extended warranty. I thought the price was outrageous. If this was such a quality piece of machinery, why was the extended warranty so expensive I begged. The answer was a bunch of nonsense. As I walked away, the price of warranty dropped by 50%. That's when I bought the Lexus without a warranty and never looked back.

For this particular brand, I would think an extended warranty might be in order, especially one that not only offers peace of mind but is reasonably priced as well. I would rather have a good extended warranty that is reasonably priced and transferable over free Supercharging included free.

I could take my 10-year old Lexus to any number of independent repairs shops that would charge less than half what a Lexus dealership would charge. Not the same for Tesla however, and their repairs appear to be pretty pricey. On-the-hand, my LS-430 has never required a mechanical repair of any type.

Many years ago, I was going to buy a BMW and inquired about an extended warranty. I thought the price was outrageous. If this was such a quality piece of machinery, why was the extended warranty so expensive I begged. The answer was a bunch of nonsense. As I walked away, the price of warranty dropped by 50%. That's when I bought the Lexus without a warranty and never looked back.

...especially in an environment where service manuals, parts, and 3rd party options are, today, non-existent. If this extends to the Model 3, it might be your only viable, financially prudent option.

Interesting points but I stand by my last paragraph: "The laws on this can vary by location but any manufacturer is generally responsible for providing a marketable item. So you're basically asking to pay extra for something they should do anyway."

They're not going to be screwing people over with the whole automotive world watching Tesla like a hawk.

Reactions: 182RG
Interesting points but I stand by my last paragraph: "The laws on this can vary by location but any manufacturer is generally responsible for providing a marketable item. So you're basically asking to pay extra for something they should do anyway."

They're not going to be screwing people over with the whole automotive world watching Tesla like a hawk.

I probably should have clarified. I think Tesla is acting anti-consumer as they stand now. If the service manual and parts situation isn't clarified when it comes time for me to click the "Buy Now" button, I'm out.

For those willing to tolerate the "Tesla Service Center" only attitude, an ESA might be your wisest option. For me, it will not be. I'll buy an ICE MB, BMW, or another Audi.

• Disagree
Reactions: CarlitoDoc
I probably should have clarified. I think Tesla is acting anti-consumer as they stand now. If the service manual and parts situation isn't clarified when it comes time for me to click the "Buy Now" button, I'm out.

For those willing to tolerate the "Tesla Service Center" only attitude, an ESA might be your wisest option. For me, it will not be. I'll buy an ICE MB, BMW, or another Audi.
You know it could be more of a reliability and brand image thing. Not everyone who gets a service manual is adept and actually servicing a vehicle. As in the news currently it only takes a few bad apples to cause panic about such a new manufacturer.

In addition, it's service centers are able to provide feedback as to catch problems early on and adjust manufacturing or design accordingly. To give this up would slow the feedback loop and thus slow down innovation.

It could be just a temporary thing...

Well... Bye.

Not necessarily. There is still plenty of time to measure the question of quality and maintenance. As I said earlier, even without the federal and state tax incentives, I'm happy to be about 200,000 out on the delivery. It will give me plenty of time to measure the quality of build and potential support issues, something a person living 200 miles from a service center should also be very worried about.

If Tesla cannot provide a reasonably priced extended warranty, or if certified, third-party maintenance isn't available, I'm out as well.

I seriously think that Tesla, should have a warranty that matches a Kia. Say, a 5 year 60k bumper to bumper warranty. A power terrain warranty of ten years and 120,000 miles. Electric cars are much simpler than ICE cars and if Tesla wants to create a brand. Tesla cars will have to beat the reliability of a Toyota or a Kia. My Volt comes with a 150,000 mile, ten year warranty.

• Helpful
Reactions: pedriscoll
I seriously think that Tesla, should have a warranty that matches a Kia. Say, a 5 year 60k bumper to bumper warranty. A power terrain warranty of ten years and 120,000 miles. Electric cars are much simpler than ICE cars and if Tesla wants to create a brand. Tesla cars will have to beat the reliability of a Toyota or a Kia. My Volt comes with a 150,000 mile, ten year warranty.
That's what Hyundai did with their 10 year warranty thing. They were horrid cars about 15 years ago. Now not so bad.

Reactions: JoRey
150,000/10 years? Since when? Nothing on the Volt website indicates that and I'm a Volt owner.
It's a california thing, it is a requirement inorder to get green car pool stickers. Sad thing is that it is a hybrid thing and the Volt has one the best BMS in the industry. The Leaf by comparison is one of the poorly engineered electric cars ever. The batteries cannot even last 5 years and have to realistically replaced every 7 years.
Battery Warranty 10 yrs / 150,000

Last edited: