Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Cold Weather Parking w/o Charging Ability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We will be heading out of New England for 16 days (to a warmer climate). We will be parking our Model Y LR in a public parking lot with no charging stations. I plan on turning Sentry Mode off. Surrounding temperatures will likely be in the teens and mid-twenties. Hoping to leave car with 65-75% charge when we depart. Will we have any remaining battery charge left when we return?

Log out of Tesla app on you phone and don't check it. Let the car sleep. As you said sentry mode off, also preconditioning off.
Count on 1% range loss first day then 0.5% (or just a bit less) daily after that. If you want to be very conservative and overestimate you losses do your calculations with 1% loss daily while parked. It would be very unusual for you to loose as much 16% range in 16 days in the winter.

Upvote 0
Will we have any remaining battery charge left when we return?

Assuming sentry is off and the car sleeps, it probably loose about 1% per week. (Tesla says to plan for 1% per day, but thats a huge margin to the real consumption when parked).
Both my M3P ’21 and my MSP ’23 use roughly 1% per week.

It is the same in cold weather but the displayed SOC will fall more the first day.
Tesla consciously displays a lower SOC when the battery is cold. How much depends on the battery temperature but you can se 5% less than the real SOC if it is well below freezing. This ”drop” will not continue when the battery has cooled down, so you mostly ”loose” these percent the first day, then there is no more such drop (except if it gets colder).
All of this energi still is in the battery, so you will get it back if you warm the battery.
(You can see the displayed loss due to cold battery as a blue part of the green charging level.

Tesla states you should avoid to leave the car below -22F (-30C) for more than one day.
I have had it several times standing > one day below -22F but then I have activated charging which heats the battery. Actually mostly only let it heat and then cut off the charging.

Upvote 0