Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Service Agreement Coverage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DerbyDave

Jul 2, 2020
Kentucky
I must be overthinking the 4 year, 50,000 miles Extended Service Agreement coverage. I have read the entire agreement, and the effective date is the date following the expiration of the 4 year 50,000 mile factory warranty and extends for 4 years. When it says 50,000 miles on the extended coverage, is that total miles on the car, or an additional 50,000 miles past the warranty end date/mileage. In other words, if my car had 43,000 miles on it at the end of 4 years, would my $4250 only cover me for another 7,000 miles?

The warranty is "additional". So with 43K miles it would be 93K miles or 4 years - whichever comes first from the start of the ESA.

Where are you getting the ESA from anyway? Tesla doesn't do 4 year warranties anymore.

The warranty is "additional". So with 43K miles it would be 93K miles or 4 years - whichever comes first from the start of the ESA.

Where are you getting the ESA from anyway? Tesla doesn't do 4 year warranties anymore.

tesla still allows ESA on new
Purchases. Just not on a used purchase. (Unless there is still time left on the original factory warranty)

Reactions: SilverGS

I don’t think it works that way. It basically becomes 100K miles or 8 years which ever comes first. But I agree it’s not very clear.

Reactions: DerbyDave
I don’t think it works that way. It basically becomes 100K miles or 8 years which ever comes first. But I agree it’s not very clear.

I have the same understanding as @SilverGS:

If I store my car and by the time the new warranty expires in 4 years but only has 5 miles on the odometer because it was delivered straight to my house and I never drove it for the past 4 years, then the ESA would add another 50,000 miles or the car will run out of ESA at 50,005 miles or 4 more years whatever first and NOT 100,000 miles on the odometer.

That's because the ESA only takes effect when the New Car Warranty expires which, in my case, would be 5 miles and 4 years.

And the maximum ESA would cover is 4 years or 50,000 miles whichever first.

Odd that I was just going to create a thread with the same question. In my case when my warranty expires next month I will have about 37,000 miles so I guess my new limit for the added 4 year warranty is only 87,000 not 100,000? Seems a bit unfair if so but the language of the extension does only mention 4 years or 50000 miles. Nothing is said about a total of 8 years or 100,000 miles. I asked the tech who worked on my car at my home today and of course he had no idea. (He also had no idea why I keep getting scheduled by his SC for HW2.0 to HW3.0 update when the work was done several months ago. The joy of having a car model that is too new to have a network of experienced, independent mechanics, which is the main reason I am buying an extended car warranty for the first time. :))

Last edited:
Odd that I was just going to create a thread with the same question. In my case when my warranty expires next month I will have about 37,000 miles so I guess my new limit for the added 4 year warranty is only 87,000 not 100,000? Seems a bit unfair if so but the language of the extension does only mention 4 years or 50000 miles. Nothing is said about a total of 8 years or 100,000 miles. I asked the tech who worked on my car at my home today and of course he had no idea. (He also had no idea why I keep getting scheduled by his SC for HW2.0 to HW3.0 update when the work was done several months ago. The joy of having a car model that is too new to have a network of experienced, independent mechanics, which is the main reason I am buying an extended car warranty for the first time. :))

This place thinks it’s 8 years or 100K as do other references. It’s possible Tesla changed wording.

Tesla Warranty Options | Cost Review | Extended Options