Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Warranty option disappeared from account

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car is a little less than two months away from 4 years old and when I logged in to sign up for the ESA, there is no longer an option to purchase even though it had previously been on my account page for the past two years (Bought the car used in 2017). In the past when I have clicked on the Buy button, it has come up with the lower price (purchase ESA within the first few months of buying a new car) even though it is now almost 4 years later. I guess I should have bought the ESA a few weeks back when I saw it available last time, but I figured I still have a couple of months before handing over the cash. I talked with the Service Centre and they don't know what is going on. They are even claiming that because I am not the original owner, I cannot buy the ESA. The car has not gone through a dealership so I'm pretty sure I should be ok there. As a matter of fact, the SC has over the last couple of years tried to sell me the ESA even though the original warranty still had months/years left on it.

Did anyone else notice their ESA section missing from the My Tesla pages for your account? Also, if anyone knows why I was quoted the cheaper price by the account page, please let me know. I though I had read somewhere on this forum that earlier cars could get it for the lesser price, but I can't seem to find it.

If you buy the ESA but you are still within the factory 4 year warranty period, can you get what you paid back, as long as the ESA was never used?

The refund is "pro-rata basis" even when you never make any claims.

That means when I have driven 999,999 miles and 7 years and 364 days, not quite 100,000 miles and 8 years yet, I could file a refund.

The most I could get is the 1 mile that I didn't drive or the 1 day that is short of 8 years.

That means I cannot get the full refund just because I never made any claims.

But what if you get the ESA at time of delivery, since you get a discount, and then cancel it in 3 years and 8 months, before the ESA was used at all? Do you get 100% back?

No.

The contract says "pro-rata basis" based on either the number of miles you drive or the age of your car whichever the lesser the refund would be.

In your case, your car has aged 3 years and 8 months out of 4 year contract so you'll get the refund for the unused age of 0 years and 4 months. You'll get 0.06% back.

At that age, your car's odometer should be reaching toward around 100,000 miles but if your car's odometer is 75,000 miles which meant you drove 50% of your 50,000 mile contract, you won't get the larger refund which is 50% back. You'll get the lesser refund of 0.06% back because you get the lesser amount of refund based on either mileage or age of your car.

No.

The contract says "pro-rata basis" based on either the number of miles you drive or the age of your car whichever the lesser the refund would be.

In your case, your car has aged 3 years and 8 months out of 4 year contract so you'll get the refund for the unused age of 0 years and 4 months. You'll get 0.06% back.

At that age, your car's odometer should be reaching toward around 100,000 miles but if your car's odometer is 75,000 miles which meant you drove 50% of your 50,000 mile contract, you won't get the larger refund which is 50% back. You'll get the lesser refund of 0.06% back because you get the lesser amount of refund based on either mileage or age of your car.

Wasn't the point of the question that the Extended Warranty doesn't begin cover until after the initial 4 year warranty has expired... ? (as long as mileage didn't trigger it).

Reactions: PhilDavid
But what if you get the ESA at time of delivery, since you get a discount, and then cancel it in 3 years and 8 months, before the ESA was used at all? Do you get 100% back?
Of course, your still under the factory everything warranty. The previous post may have not understood you bought new. Of course under 50,000 miles also. The ESA moves into the 50-75k miles and 4-6years or 50-100k miles and 4-8 years, depending on which you buy. Thats the way I understand it. Please tell me if I am wrong, it won't be the first time.

This I think takes care of any questions. Now if yours in not in place on website, could your warranty have run out? If not you should be able to buy it online or call Tesla-not at the end of the quarter. Caveats a plenty within the ESA. Read info.

IMG_1472.JPG

How long after purchase is the discount on ESA available? I don't remember being offered that when I took delivery of my 2018 MS 100D in December.
There is no discount that I know of, You can buy the ESA of your choice within 1000 miles or 30 days of your new car warranty expiring.

Probably advisable to buy prior to warranty ending. I hope this helps

Correction there is a discount for buying the plan early 180 days to get the discount. Transferable and refundable unused portion prorated

Last edited:
If you buy the ESA but you are still within the factory 4 year warranty period, can you get what you paid back, as long as the ESA was never used?

Sorry! I've been misunderstood that if the car has been 50,001 miles or 4 years old and the ESA has never been used.

Back to your question as others @Mark_T and @Oldschool496 have answered:

You'll get your full refund of ESA back as long as the car is less than 50,000 miles or 4 years old whichever first. Actually, it has a grace period of 60 days for a full refund after your car turned 50,000 miles or 4 years old whichever first.

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
Hmmm, I'm still in my first 180 days after delivery. What discount on ESA do I have available to me??

I'm still on the fence myself to buying the ESA. I think there are some copays also??????

Extended Service Agreement

For Model S and Model X, the Extended Service Agreement extends coverage beyond your New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage period.

The Extended Service Agreement covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of most parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla during the coverage period, excluding the car’s lithium-ion battery and drive unit, which have their own separate warranty. Coverage is based upon the purchased agreement option and takes effect on the date that your original New Vehicle Limited Warranty expires.

2-Year Extended Service Agreement
2 years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first.

4-Year Extended Service Agreement
4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Model S Purchased within 180 Days Purchased after 180 Days
2-Year Extended Service Agreement $2,100 $2,600
4-Year Extended Service Agreement $4,250 $4,750
Model X Purchased within 180 Days Purchased after 180 Days
2-Year Extended Service Agreement $2,400 $2,900
4-Year Extended Service Agreement $4,800 $5,300
1 Purchase price if purchased within 180 days of the vehicle’s date of initial delivery by Tesla.
2 Purchase price if purchased after 180 days of the vehicle’s date of initial delivery by Tesla.

Washington, New Mexico and Oklahoma state residents must purchase the extended service agreement directly at a local Tesla Service Center and may not be available for sale in certain areas. See your Tesla Account for availability.

I'm still on the fence myself to buying the ESA. I think there are some copays also??????

Extended Service Agreement

For Model S and Model X, the Extended Service Agreement extends coverage beyond your New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage period.

The Extended Service Agreement covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of most parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla during the coverage period, excluding the car’s lithium-ion battery and drive unit, which have their own separate warranty. Coverage is based upon the purchased agreement option and takes effect on the date that your original New Vehicle Limited Warranty expires.

2-Year Extended Service Agreement
2 years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first.

4-Year Extended Service Agreement
4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Model S Purchased within 180 Days Purchased after 180 Days
2-Year Extended Service Agreement $2,100 $2,600
4-Year Extended Service Agreement $4,250 $4,750
Model X Purchased within 180 Days Purchased after 180 Days
2-Year Extended Service Agreement $2,400 $2,900
4-Year Extended Service Agreement $4,800 $5,300
1 Purchase price if purchased within 180 days of the vehicle’s date of initial delivery by Tesla.
2 Purchase price if purchased after 180 days of the vehicle’s date of initial delivery by Tesla.

Washington, New Mexico and Oklahoma state residents must purchase the extended service agreement directly at a local Tesla Service Center and may not be available for sale in certain areas. See your Tesla Account for availability.

THANKS! I see it now. I'll need to make a decision before May 21 to get the discount. At least I know now.

...copays also??????...

Yes. $200 deductible per visit as stated by the contract.

Many owners do pay that as expected but for myself and some others, Tesla didn't charge us any deductible at all.

Financially, the return on investment for ESA works well for those whose car repairs will be huge. If your car won't have any significant car repairs then it's a loss.

My 2012 Model S was very reliable. It only had 3 issues in its old age:

Mobile Connector
17" Screen with its MCU
Heater

Those 3 items alone paid off my investment on ESA handsomely even if I had to pay $600 deductibles for them (which Tesla waived them as a courtesy).

Yes. $200 deductible per visit as stated by the contract.

Mobile Connector
17" Screen with its MCU
Heater

Those 3 items alone paid off my investment on ESA handsomely even if I had to pay $600 deductibles for them (which Tesla waived them as a courtesy).

I'm on the fence, its early. Surely something is going to go MCU, Handles, AC, Heater. Everything else besides wiring has been replaced. Cinch motor, Clockspring, Charging connecter and door.

Is Air Suspension covered under drive train? I think not>