Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is purchasing extended warranty for Tesla plaid worthwhile? Any opinion would be much appreciated

It's not available for newer cars like Model 3, Y...and 2021 and after Model S and X (production year, not the name "2021" that was produced in the fall of 2020).

See the reference:

It must not be worthwhile for Tesla or otherwise, it would love to continue that to the rest of the fleet and not cut the loss and discontinued after the last batch of 2020 S and X.

It sounds like there have been more claim expenses than the premium that they got. That may also be an alarm for those who think that EVs require fewer services.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's not available for newer cars like Model 3, Y...and 2021 Model S and X (production year, not the name "2021" that was produced in the fall of 2020).

See the reference:

It must not be worthwhile for Tesla or otherwise, it would love to continue that to the rest of the fleet and not cut the loss and discontinued after the last batch of 2020 S and X.

It sounds like there have been more claim expenses than the premium that they got. That may also be an alarm for those who think that EVs require fewer services.
Actually, Tesla has been slowly backing out of the room on warranties not because of expense (although there are lots of high dollar claims) but rather they cannot realize the income until the end of the ESA, effectively locking up the money for 8 years, then only able to realize the residual amount. Meanwhile, in real time they need to pay/administer/do the repairs, which for Tesla is not a very sustainable model. XCare can help, click HERE for a no hassle quote for Long Term Coverage. Cheers, Brent @ XCare

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
Upvote 0
Is purchasing extended warranty for Tesla plaid worthwhile? Any opinion would be much appreciated

This is my first Tesla so I cannot speak directly to it. But I drive 30-40k miles per year and keep cars 12-36 months. Having almost every major maker (Japanese, American, British, and German), I have never purchased an extended warranty and only on one (maybe two) occasions would the have paid for itself. I am also in a place financially that I can handle any missteps and move on.

Upvote 0
I have an Xcare policy on a Model X that is currently in the claims process. First claim. Will keep you updated how it goes. It is for an AC compressor replacement.

The policy has been in place for about 9 months or so, depending on how this goes will determine if it is something that can be relied upon for the duration of the 7 year contract.

Reactions: SilverGS
Upvote 0