Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extending Cabin Overheat Protection With App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I just thought I’d share a little trick I found with my 13 P85 and the Tesla app - I have been searching for ways to extend my COP beyond 12 hrs and couldn’t find a real solution. Unfortunately my car bakes out in the Las Vegas sun all day and sometimes for more than 12 hours. Anyway, I can only speak to this with the car plugged in and connected to my home Wifi (haven’t tried under any other conditions) that I have been able to successfully restart the 12 hr COP timer by unlocking the car with the app and immediately re-locking it. I’ve also tried it with just pushing the keyless start but it didn’t work for me. I’ve already had to get my MCU replaced due to the fluid leaking out so I don’t mind a little extra protection at the cost of a few range miles if I can help it.

• Informative
Reactions: Duffer and Chaserr
have you tried using a sunshade and tinting your windows?

I do have a sunshade and every single piece of glass tinted on the car. :) It was only 96 today but the interior of the car still got to 128F. Thanks for the suggestions though. The preconditioning (without burning fossil fuels) was the big sell to the wife to let me get this car. Just unfortunate that we have 3 other cars taking the garage spaces.

I'm not really sure why you are worried about it. What if the car didn't have Cabin Overheat Protection?
It's not as if there are another million+ cars in Nevada and Arizona that don't have Cabin Overheat Protection.

If it's too warm to get in, just turn on the AC 5 minutes before getting in car.

Reactions: jerseygirl18
I'm not really sure why you are worried about it. What if the car didn't have Cabin Overheat Protection?
It's not as if there are another million+ cars in Nevada and Arizona that don't have Cabin Overheat Protection.

If it's too warm to get in, just turn on the AC 5 minutes before getting in car.

I’m not terribly concerned about it - was just sharing a trick I found for extending COP beyond the 12 hr mark if anyone was interested. No complaints from me. I love the feature.

I really believe the extended interior heat can slowly ruin and deteriorate many of the interior trim pieces, not to mention of course the screens. I use mine all day here in Texas. Worth the loss of miles easily.
All I worry about is the early dying of the AC unit someday

What about all the other cars? Cars are built to withstand the summer heat, even in Texas.

@allenshaw Thanks for posting this. I have cycled the door locks via the app while I was away for this reason. I'm glad to hear that it wasn't just a placebo that made me feel better.

I have top of the line thermal film (including windshield), custom fit sunshade, factory sunscreens, pano roof set to "vent" and the interior will still be 105° by 9:00 A.M. I'm not concerned about getting into a hot car since it knows my schedule and it's nice and cool when I get in. My concern is for the electronics that the "overheat protection" feature is supposed to take care of. The standard 12 hour protection is usually more than sufficient. However, knowing that I can extend the time, if needed, does give me peace of mind.