Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extension cord for Nema 14-30

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: laudbrian

Curious if you've had any issues with this extension cord on different outlets... I purchased the 30 ft months ago and hadn't had the opportunity to try it until now. When I plugged it into my inlaws 14-30 dryer outlet, received errors on the M3 display:

Unable to charge with Mobile Connector
Inadequate outlet grounding - Try a different outlet

Unable to charge
Check charging equipment

It's possible that they have wiring issues but not probable, so I'm trying to debug this but I have limited access to outlets. I'm also having issues charging on 20 amp outlets with the evse 5-15/5-20 to 14-50 adapter as well, and wondering if it's because of this cord or my UMC. I want to debug as best I can before I schedule a service appointment, to avoid wasting anyone else's time

I have not had issues with a Gen 1 UMC and the cord.

Does the 5-15 adapter on the UMC work at the same house?

Sounds like could be any if following -
- grounding problem @ house
- cord problem
- Gen 2 UMC doing some sort of more robust checking.

Reactions: ohmman
Curious if you've had any issues with this extension cord on different outlets... I purchased the 30 ft months ago and hadn't had the opportunity to try it until now. When I plugged it into my inlaws 14-30 dryer outlet, received errors on the M3 display:

Unable to charge with Mobile Connector
Inadequate outlet grounding - Try a different outlet

Unable to charge
Check charging equipment

It's possible that they have wiring issues but not probable, so I'm trying to debug this but I have limited access to outlets. I'm also having issues charging on 20 amp outlets with the evse 5-15/5-20 to 14-50 adapter as well, and wondering if it's because of this cord or my UMC. I want to debug as best I can before I schedule a service appointment, to avoid wasting anyone else's time

The only thing that cord does is remove the neutral wire. If you're getting that error message, there is something wrong with the inlaws outlet. Likely the ground is not properly connected. Or possibly (and this is dangerous), the ground and neutral are swapped? If the dryer works right, at least the two hot leads are connected properly.

Reactions: ohmman
Bad ground or wiring was my thought as it probably would go unnoticed with typical tools or appliances plugged in, car charging being a little more complex.

I tried the following at two different houses (5-15 or 5-20 outlets) and one public parking garage (5-20 outlet, but maybe not 20 amp breaker.) With the 5-15 UMC adapter all outlets worked well with 4/5 mi charge rate. When I attempt to swap the EVSEAadapter [NEMA 5-15P/5-20P to 14-50R 120V Adapter for EV, 3 ft.] and 14-50 UMC at the parking garage with the amps dialed down 12 in the car, it appeared to start charging and upping the amps, but the miles never rose above 0. Maybe I tripped the breaker, but I don't think it would show the amps dialing up when I tried to initiate the charge. At the in laws house with 20 amp outlets, I was able to get about 6 miles out of it with the adapter and heavy duty cord going into the 14-50 UMC, but charging was interupted at 1:45 hrs and it would no longer restart after that.

The same for this combo into the 15 amp outlets, appeared to charge with green lites on the UMC, car charge port, and the screen showed 12 amps, but milage never rose above 0.

I then tried to connect the NEMA 14-50R cord to our in-laws 15-30 dryer outlet, but after the car initially started drawing a charge and ramping up, it stopped with the error I mentioned above. I wonder if it maybe tried to charge higher than 24 amps before I dialed it down. It kept resetting the input amps to 32 when I was playing around with different wire combos, so that's a possibility. It also seemed to have a memory and once I had a bad connection it wouldn't attempt to restart the charging from that outlet like it did the first time. Breaker was not tripped as we plugged the dryer back in and it ran. I'm wondering if this is the UMC or on board charger possibly.

I also received a weird error when using the SuperCharger a week ago that said my batteries needed service immediately, but the Tesla support technician didn't seem concerned since the car worked on the next charger over. He told me to contact Tesla during normal business hours by email but they have yet to respond.

If you’re only pulling 12 amps, the charge rate may show 0 if you’re in the car with climate/stereo on and etc. Before we got the electrician out we were using a regular household outlet and it would only go up to 5mi/hr after we walked away and let the car lock and turn features off. Basically we only ever saw it in the app, not on the dash. (I think it might have gone to 1-4 on the dash if we were out of the car and watching through the window, but never 5, and it definitely showed 0 sometimes if we were still in the car with everything on.) We had to use an extension cord, but it was quite a beefy one for 15A.

If you have an RV park around, you could try your UMC with a proper 50A (14-50) socket and see if that works.

If you’re only pulling 12 amps, the charge rate may show 0 if you’re in the car with climate/stereo on and etc. Before we got the electrician out we were using a regular household outlet and it would only go up to 5mi/hr after we walked away and let the car lock and turn features off. Basically we only ever saw it in the app, not on the dash. (I think it might have gone to 1-4 on the dash if we were out of the car and watching through the window, but never 5, and it definitely showed 0 sometimes if we were still in the car with everything on.) We had to use an extension cord, but it was quite a beefy one for 15A.

If you have an RV park around, you could try your UMC with a proper 50A (14-50) socket and see if that works.

Oh sheesh, excellent point. I'm embarrassed I didn't think of that. It was parked outside and would have definitely been drawing down to 0 with everything running.

Although I didn't see this behavior with the Tesla 15 amp dongle plugged in, I never thought about the fact that the car was still powering everything. I wonder if being parked out in the sun may have been the reason for it kicking off the 20 amp charging session after less then 2 hours. It might have been trying to cool the batteries and shut down due to heat. The error message was simply charging interrupted so not real descriptive.

I'll have to test this more as I've solely relied on L2 and SC to charge up until now. Thanks for everyone's input.

Has anyone sourced a reasonably price already made extension cord for a standard dryer plug. Will be visiting my parents in miami and we have an outlet in a utility closet but it is not super close to the where the car parks, so i would need like a 25ft extension.

Looking to get one without having to make it.
Home Depot currently $111.67 for 25ft or $92.00 for 10ft