Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extension cord from dryer outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Multiple electricians and Tesla tell you not to do something potentially hazardous and you are planning to do it anyway? You might want to reconsider.

I suggest speaking to your landlord about the situation. Ask him if he is willing to install a charging station in the garage. If not, ask him if it is OK if you do so at your expense. (It improves the value of the property, only an idiot would say no as long as you have it done by a reputable electrician.)
As long as you use the right extension cord (e.g 30 amps), you power down power to 24 amps, and you reuse the dedicated gen 2 adapters from tesla... I really don’t understand what the f problem is.

Not to mention if you use the tesla gen 2 adapters power will be automatically capped.

I have been doing this and the only thing that gets warm is the tesla charger.. my heavy duty extension cord is not warm at all. An electrician also reviewed this setup and is OK with it. Charging is so quick i only need to charge twice a week.

Dryer plugs can be a safe and efficient means to charge a Tesla. Problems happen when the dryer plug is inside the house, still being used to power a dryer, is old technology and wiring or needs a long extension cord.
Maybe we should stop calling this “dryer plug”. It’s a stupid name.

Btw...natural gas... is likely way more efficient to power a dryer than electricity... and way cheaper too, at least where I live!

I know this is a ridiculous question, but what is the difference between this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00STD8CXC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this (the 14-30 version)?

Model S/X/3 Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

I’m basically trying to find a 14-30P to 14-50R adapter for my car. The amazon link is exactly what I need, but the reviews aren’t great. Anyone know of a similar product that has higher ratings? Is it the same thing as the Tesla branded one linked above?

I don't officially know because I have not tried mine yet. But the HPWC at setable and networkable to allow for automatic safe charging. Think of the superchargers when you plug into an A stall with someone in the B stall the current is automatically reduced to a safe charging level. I would not be surprised that the adapter cords are chipped to tell the charger what the maximum allowable charge will be. example if you have a 20 amp adapter the car will charge at the 16a limit. a 30 amp adapter will automatically set the the limit to 24 amp.

You will notice in almost every post everyone says to remember to set the charger to 24 amps. What happens the one time you forget and the circuit breaker turns out to be defective( which is not uncommon) and burn your house down.

Remember a long time ago when the guy had a Volt and plugged it in at the same outlet with other loads, and burned his house down. Chevy had defaulted the chargers to 12 amps which is fine for a single outlet with nothing else on the circuit. But I can't recall but something else was also sharing the same outlet or circuit. It might have been another Volt or Leaf. Anyway the breaker was probably bad and the fire was the result. Note a circuit breaker only has to get wet one time and it trip mechanism rusts and stops working properly. That could have happened when the house was being built. The breaker will flip back and forth just fine, but not automatically.

I'd also point out, if you use a 14-30 adaptor from Tesla and cut off the neutral pin, it will plug into a 14-30 & a 14-50 outlet - and, more importantly, restrict charging to 24a. It allows use of a 14-50 cord and automatically limit current.

Are you kidding. the minimum fine from OSHA is $1,000.00 for a missing pin. Not to mention this is illegal set up. can you spell Lawyer If anything goes wrong at all you will be sued buy the insurance companies and everyone one else looking for something to blame. Trust me there are people out there who would see this and sue you for endangering there lives. Trust me give them a reason and they WILL come after you. doesn't even matter if it's your own house. Anyone one could simply claim they were shocked by your car and you'll wish you paid the electrician to wire it right or bought the proper outlet and changed it. This is why Tesla or electricians won't recommend anything but the safest possible method. Hell Tesla is getting sued because there semi looks like the Nicoli truck, totally baseless.

Lupend88 where is your dryer outlet in the garage or in the house?

Are you running the cord through a door or window? That could be an issue.

the Dryer Buddy may be an good option. Or do you even use the dryer outlet?

Is there an electrical panel in the garage or only the 15 Amp outlet?

Some of the first posts were the best advise.

Now that I have typed all this I guess what i would say is the cords are ok in temporary situations but for everyday use I don't think so. Tesla wants everyone to properly wire there homes for something we will use from here on out. I don't plan on going back to gas. Your renting and as the early poster said talk to the landlord and see if they would do it or at least split the cost. It doesn't hurt to ask. Let me know on the questions above.

Wouldn't this be a more elegant (if not expensive) option?

Model S/X/3 Gen 2 NEMA Adapters
Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 10.10.13 AM.png

AC Connectors 25 ft. NEMA 14-30 4-Prong 30 Amp 125/250-Volt Rubber Dryer Extension Cord-1430PR-025 - The Home Depot
black-ac-connectors-general-purpose-1430pr-025-64_1000.jpg

It’s exactly what I have. I followed the recommandations of the users on this forum a couple months ago. I too was initially planning a 50 amp cable and use a Nema 14-50 to Nema 10-30 adapter but a couple folks convinced me otherwise. At least two users told me not to.

This by the way was the most cost effective for me. $37 for adapter and $100 for cable.

This is the way to go. Not only it’s cheaper, it uses fewer adapters and the power is automatically dialed down to 24 amps in the car. So it’s the safest approach by far.

I follow the rest of the things you point out, but this one doesn't make sense. The OSHA Act covers employers and their workers (excluding the self-employed). By what authority could they fine an individual for something they did for personal use at their home?

What he is saying is removing a prong is not a good idea. Just seeing a missing prong gets you in an OSHA setting a $1000 fine, and probably a complete look at everything you are doing electrical after that discovery. So why would one do it where they live and sleep?

What he is saying is removing a prong is not a good idea.

By "I follow the rest" I was saying I understood that.

Just seeing a missing prong gets you in an OSHA setting a $1000 fine, and probably a complete look at everything you are doing electrical after that discovery. So why would one do it where they live and sleep?
I don't follow this - OSHA applies to businesses, they're not going to come into your home to comfirm that the plug you're putting into your dryer outlet is not missing any prongs.

OSHA is part of the United States Department of Labor. ... The OSH Act covers most private sector employers and their workers.

Last edited:
Reactions: David99
By "I follow the rest" I was saying I understood that.

I don't follow this - OSHA applies to businesses, they're not going to come into your home to comfirm that the plug you're putting into your dryer outlet is not missing any prongs.

Then I can't really help you. If I knew something wasn't OSHA kosher. Well it wouldn't be happening in my home. I think @Reddy Kilowatt was trying to make that point. No OSHA inspectors aren't coming in your home. Just like your local building inspector is not coming over to watch you plug in an extension cord.

Hi everyone I have an electrical question that hopefully you can help with. Here is my scenario..

I am renting a house. My Model 3 (that I’m picking up in a few weeks) will be in a detached garage about 30 feet away from our dryer.

Multiple electricians in addition to Tesla themselves advise strongly not to run an extension cord from the dryer to the car.

My question for you all is- based on my living conditions, are there any specialty made extension cords or specialty made breakers that exist that I could buy to safely charge my Model 3 via the dryer outlet? Thank you!
I've used this extension cord

Camco Heavy Duty Outdoor Extension Cord for RV and Auto with Easy PowerGrip Handle- 50 Amp, 6/8-Gauge, Includes Convenient Carrying Strap - 30ft (55195) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024ECIP0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_n3G6Ab32XCGA6

It's very well built. 30 feet. Thick and heavy. Then get adapter for the specific dryer receptacle you have to connect to the 14-50 plug. I've used it at two places so far. Got the full 40 amp charge my UMC was capable of (when plugged into 14-50 outlet). When using with dryer receptacle, dial down the charge rate in the car to 30, or whatever the receptacle is rated for.

The cord and adapter are going to cost $150 or so.

Last edited:
I simply used OHSA as an example. I'm sure there is some type of AHJ out there or a fire marshal that will make a deal out of it. Trust me been there done that. What if you took the cut cord out to public area then what?? someone else could nail you then.

Bottom line just don't cut the cord it will Void the UL listing and then where are you.

I've seen to many law suits over nothing you know. it's just easier to do it safe.

Actually I have spoke to AHJ's who don't like the chargers on dryer outlets because a dryer is considered a "non continuous" load and was calculated at a derated load for the homes incoming electrical service. This gives you a false impression that the homes service is assumed to be adequate to handle the additional continuous load because the outlet is already there. But there are homes with the old 60 amp services that really dont have the adequate service to handle the load for a long period of time. This is their main concern, and as a result canned response to get an electrician out there to survey the property and that all is well. Imagen going with two tesla charging at home.

Brkaus not trying to pick on you, just making it an example of the act. Sorry if I offended you personally.

Does anyone know if the Tesla Adapter auto adjust the chargers output based on the adapter? I've bought the adapters but never tried it. I may have to pull mine out and give it a try if no one knows.

Does anyone know if the Tesla Adapter auto adjust the chargers output based on the adapter? I've bought the adapters but never tried it. I may have to pull mine out and give it a try if no one knows.
If you’re referring to the UMC adapters, yes, that’s the whole point of using them. It sets the max draw as 80% of what type of outlet it is intended for (with the exception of Gen 2 NEMA 14-50 adapter that sets max at 32A rather than 40A).

I have an 80 foot 14-30 extension cord that I made using 3-conductor 10-guage cord (available at Home Depot). Works great at 24A or less, fits in the Model 3 frunk, and it's not too heavy to carry around. Happy to see that Tesla came out with a 14-30 adapter for the Model 3 mobile charger.

so can an electrician weigh in? so is the neutral prong safe to cut? I have noticed my Gen 2 adapter with the prong cut seems to throw a tiny spark sometimes when first being connected to 14-50 extension cord (I think it may be that the plug is not as secure as a fit with the neutral removed) so I'm thinking of getting a replacement 14-30 gen 2 adapter and using my previous setup which worked well for the past year with this heavy duty 14-30 outlet to 14-50 plug (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SJESJU2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I just use one outlet