Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extension Cord Sidewalk Push Back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you very much for the responses.

I don’t have a drive way or a way to get the cord to my car without it going across that sidewalk.

If can feed a cord under the sidewalk somehow then great but the other side is all road so I’m not sure how that will work or if I have permission.

Some suggested I build a permanent box. How can I do that and where would it go?

You would likely have to have a pedestal professionally installed. It would need conduit laid in the ground with cable run through it and up through a concrete foundation with the pedestal mounted on top and the wall charger mounted on that. Or a NEMA 14-50 outlet - that would be far more cost effective since it appears you're using that plug type already.

You might be able to go simple and just have a 4x4 post with one of these RV weatherproof 50 amp outlets on it.

But again, that cable has to be buried under the sidewalk.

Reactions: Floydsox
I would suggest putting together a make-shift detachable pole (or antenna) that attaches to your car, where you can then run a cable above ground directly to your unit's window. I would look at your HOA's bi-laws for any language prohibiting any above ground wiring. If you can't find anything, I suppose you can go that route.

I'm sure they'll make a complaint about it, but as long as it's not violating any rules, and that it temporarily routes to your unit when the car is charging, you may have a viable loophole.

Or just push for a legit EV charging station to be installed on the premises.

Reactions: Willy’sEV
I would suggest putting together a make-shift detachable pole (or antenna) that attaches to your car, where you can then run a cable above ground directly to your unit's window. I would look at your HOA's bi-laws for any language prohibiting any above ground wiring. If you can't find anything, I suppose you can go that route.

I'm sure they'll make a complaint about it, but as long as it's not violating any rules, and that it temporarily routes to your unit when the car is charging, you may have a viable loophole.

Or just push for a legit EV charging station to be installed on the premises.
Like this?

clocktower.jpg

clocktower2.jpg

As we are spit balling here.... (and as I am typing this there are likely building code regulations for gaps size) BUT an option would be if you were allowed to widen that existing expansion joint to the left of your cable/mat that separates the sidewalk sections and notch the curb such that the cable could lay in that joint below the surface. Likely code issues with this however the OP is looking for ideas and all of these are definitely ideas.....

As we are spit balling here.... (and as I am typing this there are likely building code regulations for gaps size) BUT an option would be if you were allowed to widen that existing expansion joint to the left of your cable/mat that separates the sidewalk sections and notch the curb such that the cable could lay in that joint below the surface. Likely code issues with this however the OP is looking for ideas and all of these are definitely ideas.....
Yes. I hope I can do just this. I will buy another rubber mat and just put the two together to totally cover the sidewalk and then some.

My neighbor runs his cord over the sidewalk with a mat like yours. Inelegant but I think that's the best solution available. If there is a law in MD that says you have a right to install a charger at home it is reasonable to argue that that same law implies you have a right to use that charger and in doing so cross the sidewalk.

I think this will continue to be an HOA battle for people until lobbyists convince someone to protect their charging rights like they did for satellite dish users in the 90s.

Side note, aren't you worried someone could just steal your charger and sell it on ebay?

Reactions: tm1v2 and Floydsox
My neighbor runs his cord over the sidewalk with a mat like yours. Inelegant but I think that's the best solution available. If there is a law in MD that says you have a right to install a charger at home it is reasonable to argue that that same law implies you have a right to use that charger and in doing so cross the sidewalk.

I think this will continue to be an HOA battle for people until lobbyists convince someone to protect their charging rights like they did for satellite dish users in the 90s.

Side note, aren't you worried someone could just steal your charger and sell it on ebay?
Exactly my thoughts. I have the right to install the charger.

Not worried about someone stealing it as the neighborhood is on the nicer side. Also I have nest camera posted on my door.

Not a good look. I am also not surprised you are getting complaints. If they allow this your block will become the Wild Wild West...
Little dramatic but I see what you mean. My neighborhood will need to face that more and more people around here are buying EVs and they also own townhomes.

I as well as another person does this with his model s in the same street. He doesn’t even cover his. I imagine more and more people will have this issue in the coming years.

Reactions: DocHolliday

Having a right to install doesn't really mean you have the right to create a safety hazard though. I'd have to look up the actual legislation, but my guess is that at best, they'd have to allow him to hire an electrician to do it the "right way" (which will probably be expensive).

I don't quite have a sense of the location layout, I guess you're in a home without a specific driveway, that uses a communal parking area[?]

Are there some parking spots with power access where you could maybe discuss a designated EV parking area? It might not be directly in front of your house, but might be more HOA friendly solution, especially if there are any other EV owners in your plan.

Reactions: IWRBR and Floydsox