Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eye-Catching Matte Black Tesla Model 3 Goes Out In The Wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not a fan of any matte car color, no matter what car it is on. Looks like primer.
That's actually what popularized it back in the 90s when the whole import car scene started spreading beyond CA. Kids couldn't afford to get their body kits painted or rolled around in fully primered body panels on black steel wheels. Now, matte finishes aren't so bad, but the whole black-wheel look is completely played out. It makes no sense to pay so much for nice wheels only to be indistinguishable from space-saver spares while in motion.

• Funny
Reactions: plankeye
Yeah, I just read this article about caring for matte paint...as gorgeous as this is, I'll have to pass.

The last paragraph of the article should have been the first:

"It’s worth noting that matte paint is probably a poor choice if you’re planning to use the Veloster as a daily driver. It looks cool, but unless you have a garage and the time to spot clean and hand wash on a regular basis, it’s going to be a short-lived fairy tale with a sad ending."​

Reactions: erthquake
I think I will stick with the tri-coat white one. I have owned a black Ford Escape and a black Ford Fusion more recently. It literally showed every single blemish you could think of from scratches(lots of road construction here), door dings(dumb people), paint blemishes, and so on. They were also insanely hot during the summer as it would feel like sitting in a furnace until the a/c did its job.

I love black cars but I totally agree with you, maintenance is a nightmare especially if your OCD like me about it. Swirl marks can be a nightmare if you don't care for the paint properly and literally everything shows up. I've never owned a white car but I'm seriously considering it this time around just for ease of care and overall appearance. While I like the matte it just isn't realistic.

If you like the matte, just get a "stealth" or "satin" wrap, or even a "matte" colored wrap of any color you like. You were probably going to have to fork out extra money to have it factory-painted in matte anyways. And at least with a wrap you don't have to "take care of it" per se and you can always remove it upon resale if need be.

If you like the matte, just get a "stealth" or "satin" wrap, or even a "matte" colored wrap of any color you like. You were probably going to have to fork out extra money to have it factory-painted in matte anyways. And at least with a wrap you don't have to "take care of it" per se and you can always remove it upon resale if need be.

yep most wraps are pretty easy to take care of. satin black and matte white look amazing.
a good wrap is now less than 3k. a few years back shops were getting 5-6k

• Informative
Reactions: SuperOmega
I agree with the wrap mods and/or making sure you see some matte cars BEFORE taking the plunge. I've seen a number of them around Portland lately on a variety of ICE cars. I've never actually seen one that looked good. They always have a ton of smudges, swirls, fingerprints, and imperfections and generally end up looking pretty crappy.

Invariably, I love the pics of the matte cars (especially the model ≡) but hate the real world look of matte finishes. It just never lives up to the beauty of the pictures. Instead, it just looks dull and poorly cared for.

Your mileage may vary; we have a neighbor who washes his car literally every day (and buffs it at least every few) - this sort of finish might be a good fit for people like him. But definitely not for the once a month or less washers.

Timing is everything, they say. Just checked my e-mail box and discovered the latest update on Supercharger "technology," LOL. It's a start!

LOL! I keep a spray bottle of distilled water in my trunk, and a stack of microfiber towels, but unfortunately, none of them are green, so I'll have to go buy some more.

I've never seen the need for any "cleaners". Plain water gets the bugs off. A little water sprayed on a micro towel, spray the windows, clean the windows. Spray the front and hood, clean the front and hood. Then the dirty back end. I do this while supercharging on trips for a touch up, because it takes more distilled water (like maybe a gallon) to clean the tires and wheels. I don't think a cup of anything will do that.

And I've never seen superchargers in the shade.

Reactions: SuperOmega
If you DIY you can totally change your car and give it basically a full coverage paint protection "bra" for about 1/10 what vinyl costs.

I'm too lazy to plastidip it myself but looking at Nissan GTR in Cobalt Blue colour makes me think Cobalt Blue could be a fix if I end up buying a CPO/Inventory car that isn't blue. I'd still have to find someone local to do it for me but if I could get that kind of a finished product I'd seriously consider it.