TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Eye-Catching Matte Black Tesla Model 3 Goes Out In The Wild

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by S'toon, Apr 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. CTreast

CTreast Member

Man, I must be the only person in his/her 20's that doesn't like matte. I see a ton of them around Atlanta (factory and butt ugly home jobs) and all you see is fingerprints. Smudges on the door, the hood, the trunk. People touching your car while your in a store. It'd be a nightmare to keep clean. That being said, love matte Harley's. Less paint I guess for your eyes to key in on all the smudge.

• Like x 4
  2. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

I love the looks, but around here at least it's just not practical. I drive a black car right now, and every speck of dirt just stands out on it. In the winter our cars get covered in shmutz, not a good look.

• Like x 1
  3. SuperDragon

SuperDragon Member

matte needs to be a production color please!

• Like x 2
  4. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

The whole matte paint/wrap thing was cool for a while, but was played out fast. Just like the blacked out wheels, just burned out from them being too overdone.

But hey, everyone has their likes and dislikes, just not digging the matte for me.

• Like x 1
  5. vjason

vjason Member

Can't help it, makes it look like a stealth aircraft. I'm keeping an open mind until the final color options are decided.

Then sensible person in me knows it would be a pain to keep looking good.

6. erthquake

erthquake Active Member

Thanks for this. I was all for the matte finish, but after reading that article I'm over it. I have young kids, can't really garage it, and it's my daily driver. Oh well :)

• Like x 1
  7. xmetal

xmetal Member

A much better option would be to get a nice color that you like, and then spend a few hundred bucks and an afternoon plasti-dipping it. You can have matte, satin, gloss, whatever you like in whatever color you like and peel it right off when you are done. It also gives you awesome paint protection so your original paint stays pristine. I dipped my M3 and put it back to stock when I sold it.

IMG_5735.jpg

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  8. CTreast

CTreast Member

That's brilliant

9. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

Your tv screen looks terrible with fingerprints all over it, too. The trick is to keep your fingers off ;)

• Funny x 2
  10. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Member

@xmetal:
    How does one plasti-dip a car without it looking like crap without professional experience and tools?

• Like x 4
  11. xmetal

xmetal Member

It helps to be a little bit handy, but it's not hard. I've never painted anything before and got an excellent result, and subsequent color changes only got better as I went. A proper spray gun is hugely important, I used the one available from dipyourcar.com. Other than that, taking the time to really make sure the car is clean and dry (wipe it all down with rubbing alcohol and make sure it is 100% dry in every crevice) and mask off annoying parts like mirror glass and windows. Spraying lots of light coats (the first few just "pepper" the surface), keeping a good wet edge while painting and letting them dry about 15 min will get you a really nice finish.

I've done 5 cars now and can do it in an afternoon. I'll most likely dip the Model 3 with a gloss, perhaps in some nice pearl or metallic color that doesn't come stock, and black out the wheels and trim. The people that really complain about plastidip are the folks that rush it and don't put on enough material. That can turn into a mess, but done right, slowly building up a nice surface gives tons of paint protection and peels off very easily. They also have some new material (google "autoflex high gloss") that are indistinguishable from paint. I hear that's harder to get perfect and haven't tried it myself, but the results look pretty amazing.

If you DIY you can totally change your car and give it basically a full coverage paint protection "bra" for about 1/10 what vinyl costs.

• Informative x 3
  12. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Member

When I take delivery, can I pay you to come do my Model 3? :)

• Love x 1
  13. Craig9080

Craig9080 Member

Although it looks amazing, any paint job that can be harmed by rubbing a paper towel on it is not for me.

• Informative x 1
  14. BBryson

BBryson Member

I like the look, but as a native Floridian all I really see is a solar oven.

• Funny x 2
  15. ibdb

ibdb Any excuse for a road trip

I was at the reveal. I haven't looked at many of the pictures that have been shared from the reveal, but however many fingerprints and smudges were visible, I can assure you that it looked even worse in person.

16. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

What a difference between the Model X and Model 3. Forum members were always trying to find Model X mules and it was a fairly long time before they were seen in the wild.
    And here we are a week after the Model 3 unveiling not just a mule but the Model 3 without being camouflaged.

17. NoPetrolDream

NoPetrolDream Fandango

Maybe I am merely old school, but a matte finish on a car, any car, looks unfinished. Like a primer coat where one wonders when the owner will ever put a finish coat on the car.

• Like x 6
  18. int32_t

int32_t Tesla Spotter

Honestly I have to agree with NoPetrolDream. It looks unfinished. I will say that it looks nice in direct sunlight when it's clean (I mean pristine) but it looked decidedly unfinished in the dark/under the spotlights at the reveal.

19. houdini

houdini Member

• Like x 7
  20. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Nice but I would have preferred to the Silver Model 3 in the day light.