Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eye-Catching Matte Black Tesla Model 3 Goes Out In The Wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man, I must be the only person in his/her 20's that doesn't like matte. I see a ton of them around Atlanta (factory and butt ugly home jobs) and all you see is fingerprints. Smudges on the door, the hood, the trunk. People touching your car while your in a store. It'd be a nightmare to keep clean. That being said, love matte Harley's. Less paint I guess for your eyes to key in on all the smudge.

I love the looks, but around here at least it's just not practical. I drive a black car right now, and every speck of dirt just stands out on it. In the winter our cars get covered in shmutz, not a good look.

Reactions: jkk_
The whole matte paint/wrap thing was cool for a while, but was played out fast. Just like the blacked out wheels, just burned out from them being too overdone.

But hey, everyone has their likes and dislikes, just not digging the matte for me.

Reactions: Luke42
Can't help it, makes it look like a stealth aircraft. I'm keeping an open mind until the final color options are decided.

Then sensible person in me knows it would be a pain to keep looking good.

Man, I must be the only person in his/her 20's that doesn't like matte. I see a ton of them around Atlanta (factory and butt ugly home jobs) and all you see is fingerprints. Smudges on the door, the hood, the trunk. People touching your car while your in a store. It'd be a nightmare to keep clean. That being said, love matte Harley's. Less paint I guess for your eyes to key in on all the smudge.

A much better option would be to get a nice color that you like, and then spend a few hundred bucks and an afternoon plasti-dipping it. You can have matte, satin, gloss, whatever you like in whatever color you like and peel it right off when you are done. It also gives you awesome paint protection so your original paint stays pristine. I dipped my M3 and put it back to stock when I sold it.

IMG_5735.jpg

A much better option would be to get a nice color that you like, and then spend a few hundred bucks and an afternoon plasti-dipping it. You can have matte, satin, gloss, whatever you like in whatever color you like and peel it right off when you are done. It also gives you awesome paint protection so your original paint stays pristine. I dipped my M3 and put it back to stock when I sold it.

That's brilliant

@xmetal:
How does one plasti-dip a car without it looking like crap without professional experience and tools?

It helps to be a little bit handy, but it's not hard. I've never painted anything before and got an excellent result, and subsequent color changes only got better as I went. A proper spray gun is hugely important, I used the one available from dipyourcar.com. Other than that, taking the time to really make sure the car is clean and dry (wipe it all down with rubbing alcohol and make sure it is 100% dry in every crevice) and mask off annoying parts like mirror glass and windows. Spraying lots of light coats (the first few just "pepper" the surface), keeping a good wet edge while painting and letting them dry about 15 min will get you a really nice finish.

I've done 5 cars now and can do it in an afternoon. I'll most likely dip the Model 3 with a gloss, perhaps in some nice pearl or metallic color that doesn't come stock, and black out the wheels and trim. The people that really complain about plastidip are the folks that rush it and don't put on enough material. That can turn into a mess, but done right, slowly building up a nice surface gives tons of paint protection and peels off very easily. They also have some new material (google "autoflex high gloss") that are indistinguishable from paint. I hear that's harder to get perfect and haven't tried it myself, but the results look pretty amazing.

If you DIY you can totally change your car and give it basically a full coverage paint protection "bra" for about 1/10 what vinyl costs.

I was at the reveal. I haven't looked at many of the pictures that have been shared from the reveal, but however many fingerprints and smudges were visible, I can assure you that it looked even worse in person.

What a difference between the Model X and Model 3. Forum members were always trying to find Model X mules and it was a fairly long time before they were seen in the wild.
And here we are a week after the Model 3 unveiling not just a mule but the Model 3 without being camouflaged.