Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EZ Pass location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I switched to the green plan and they sent me an external transponder. I mounted it here, zip tied under my plate. Many have mounted it behind the front bumper cover as well, if I ever need to remove my frunk, I’ll probably move it there.
072E580A-1E56-4630-A263-4468D43CA05E.jpeg

I switched to the green plan and they sent me an external transponder. I mounted it here, zip tied under my plate. Many have mounted it behind the front bumper cover as well, if I ever need to remove my frunk, I’ll probably move it there.
View attachment 704270
I also recently had the green plan added to my account and they sent me the same giant transponder as well. The good news is you can call them and they'll easily switch the green plan to another mini transponder on your account, or you can just go get a new mini one from a local store or something and have them switch to that one. Takes a quick phone call and you won't have to deal with this tag.

Here's my mini transponder that I covered in a black 'skin' from Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZDJJPWH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• IMG-9434 (1).jpg
    IMG-9434 (1).jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 387
I also recently had the green plan added to my account and they sent me the same giant transponder as well. The good news is you can call them and they'll easily switch the green plan to another mini transponder on your account, or you can just go get a new mini one from a local store or something and have them switch to that one. Takes a quick phone call and you won't have to deal with this tag.

Here's my mini transponder that I covered in a black 'skin' from Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZDJJPWH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't mind the "giant" external one. It's easily mounted with the two holes and easily hidden outside the cabin. Can't even see it until you get down low and look for it when mounted where I have it. I expect I could even zip tie it to the grill and it would still work. When my custom plates arrive, I may do just that. Seems the receivers sense these things (almost) no matter where you put them.

I switched to the green plan for my daughter's Prius about 2 weeks after I received the external version for the Tesla. I was expecting another external transponder, but instead they sent a mini one to her - a (literally) green one. No idea what their logic is. 🤷‍♂️

• Funny
Reactions: zpaul
I don't mind the "giant" external one. It's easily mounted with the two holes and easily hidden outside the cabin. Can't even see it until you get down low and look for it when mounted where I have it. I expect I could even zip tie it to the grill and it would still work. When my custom plates arrive, I may do just that. Seems the receivers sense these things (almost) no matter where you put them.

I switched to the green plan for my daughter's Prius about 2 weeks after I received the external version for the Tesla. I was expecting another external transponder, but instead they sent a mini one to her - a (literally) green one. No idea what their logic is. 🤷‍♂️
We've discussed on here how NY EZpass must have some outdated knowledge article from 10 years ago about how the normal transponders don't work inside Teslas due to 'special glass', so they seem to mail everyone the large license plate one instead. Like you I'm seeing snow and salt for 6 months a year and personally don't want the transponder bar hanging down there or even mounted to my license plate at all (if I had a license plate on).

We've discussed on here how NY EZpass must have some outdated knowledge article from 10 years ago about how the normal transponders don't work inside Teslas due to 'special glass', so they seem to mail everyone the large license plate one instead. Like you I'm seeing snow and salt for 6 months a year and personally don't want the transponder bar hanging down there or even mounted to my license plate at all (if I had a license plate on).

I'll let you know if it causes any problems, but not expecting it to.

Reactions: suprax
Anyone place the EZ Pass in the frunk ???
Are you sure you can do that? The transponder I have is the style that has a switch for HOV and TOLL, but on the instructions it explicitly says that it cannot be mounted more than 6 inches from the roofline. So I mounted mine right where the glass meets the roof, on the passenger side of my rearview.

I've had mine mounted where it's supposed to be near the top of the windshield to the right of the mirror for a year now with no problem going through the slow or express E-ZPass. I had the green plan but got rid of it. It's worthless for me.
no discount on the weekend which would be my main time on the NJTP or Parkway
week days 9-4:30 & 6:30+

so a couple times a year I'd use it. By deleting the green plan I can use it on ICE vehicles too.

PXL_20210904_025419210.png

Really?! That’s interesting, I don’t like having it mounted on the windshield so pull it out every time I go through a toll (not very often). I may have to try the glovebox!
I have a model Y and use it with SunPass, if that matters. I have checked it many times in and out of the glove box. NO difference in price charged to my sun pass account. Hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: Itsuo-DC
The new 2022 model s plaid owners manual says to mount it at the bottom right corner of the passenger side windshield. To see for yourself go into your owners manual on the app or on the car and then look under maintenance the. Parts and accessories it’s in there with the picture I just posted. Hope this helps someone. I just put mine there after going through the toll and it not registering.

The new 2022 model s plaid owners manual says to mount it at the bottom right corner of the passenger side windshield. To see for yourself go into your owners manual on the app or on the car and then look under maintenance the. Parts and accessories it’s in there with the picture I just posted. Hope this helps someone. I just put mine there after going through the toll and it not registering.

The 2020 Model Y owner's manual still shows this area as the recommended location.

1644147314029.png

When attaching an RFID transponder (used by many automated toll systems) inside Model Y, place the transponder on the passenger side of the rear view mirror as shown. This ensures best results and minimizes any obstruction to your driving view.

Note
You can also attach a weather-proof transponder to the front license plate.

I've read the many posts and it seems there is no one size fits all of where to mount these RFID transponders on my 2020 Model S. I just signed up for the E-Pass Uni system and looked in my manual in the car and it also is not specific. They show a picture of where the best location is but I'm not sure if my car has the metal free area as shown. I do have ceramic Pro heat tint and it has a cutout for the RFID. Just not sure about the Tesla windshield. I guess I will just have to try it in a test run to see if it works. Then I will need to determine if my account shows a RFID recognized or if it just charged a toll by plate photo. What should the cutout area look like?
IMG_2550.jpg
IMG_2551.jpg