Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EZ Pass Placement on AP2 cars - NY/NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked the DS when I got my cars few weeks ago where I can place the E-ZPass since the dark shade area on the wind shield is gone. He told me that the E-ZPass issue has been resolved. We should be able to put the E-ZPass right next to the 3 cameras.

I finally got a chance to try it today with the normal (shorter/newer) white color E-ZPass attached right behind the rear view mirror next to the 3 cameras. Drove from L.I., took the Throgs Neck Bridge, Tappan Zee bridge, and quite a few NYS Thruway tolls. On my way back, more NYS Thruway tolls, went through George Washington Bridge, and then Tri-boro (RFK) Bridge. Some with stop-gate, some 5 mph ones, some 25 mph ones, and some very fast ones (65 mph?). All without a hitch! :)

Last edited:
Passenger side, but according to the DS, anyway is fine on the AP2 car now.

The black tube thingy is a rear view Blackvue camera attached on to it. :)

IMG_20161229_112441.JPG

Passenger side, but according to the DS, anyway is fine on the AP2 car now.

The black tube thingy is a rear view Blackvue camera attached on to it. :)

View attachment 208147
This is very useful info for toll-passes and for dashcams (getting a reliable GPS connection); thank you.

You have a rear-facing camera there; what sort of view do you get from it - I should have thought the rear headrest would get in the way and the view through the tailgate is narrow anyway.

You can see a bit on the side and a bit through the tailgate, but it's really more for the interior view.

I was going to have another standalone Blackvue mounting in the back. I didn't want to route a long cable all the way around the car.

View attachment 209381
Good pic; thank you. Spy-in-the-cab camera - everyone has to behave!

I see that you're not showing speed; do you not have that option turned on or is there no GPS signal? And where is your forward-facing camera - behind the mirror?

Reactions: wesley888
Good pic; thank you. Spy-in-the-cab camera - everyone has to behave!

I see that you're not showing speed; do you not have that option turned on or is there no GPS signal? And where is your forward-facing camera - behind the mirror?

You got the idea! That's exactly what I want it to be, a spy-in-the-cab camera, since my daughter JUST got her learning permit. :)

The forward-facing camera is behind the mirror. I positioned it so that I don't see it at all at the driver seat.

Regarding GPS, I just didn't want the speed showing on the video, for obvious reason. ;) . I can still get the speed info from the Blackvue app anyway.

As you can see in the picture, I got full bars on GPS signal, 80 mph, GPS coordinates, everything. :)

upload_2017-1-7_9-31-34.png

upload_2017-1-7_9-46-55.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-7_9-44-19.png
    upload_2017-1-7_9-44-19.png
    680.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Personally I don't think this is a good use of the rearview camera, you can route the wire yourself it took me like 10 minutes and I never done anything like it before.

Something to consider.
Yes, that's what's usually done when the camera is at the back; I want to install one myself when the new car comes. Did you push it through the headlining?

Our new car will have the glass roof like yours; are you pleased with it?

You got the idea! That's exactly what I want it to be, a spy-in-the-cab camera, since my daughter JUST got her learning permit. :)

The forward-facing camera is behind the mirror. I positioned it so that I don't see it at all at the driver seat.

Regarding GPS, I just didn't want the speed showing on the video, for obvious reason. ;) . I can still get the speed info from the Blackvue app anyway.

As you can see in the picture, I got full bars on GPS signal, 80 mph, GPS coordinates, everything. :)

View attachment 209473

View attachment 209475
You're letting a learner drive a Tesla? Brave man! Valet mode? Good use of a camera, though.

Thanks for the new pics. It seems much easier to get GPS with the latest cars, which apparently do not have the coating on the windscreen of the older cars. The BV viewer gives a lot of info, doesn't it; and My Way is a great addition.