Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NY/NJ EZ Pass Placement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there are a lot of posts on this topic, but I am wondering if there are any news on this topic.. Picked up my new refreshed Model S 2 weeks ago and read all about EZ Pass headaches.. Brooklyn delivery team claimed that external tag is the only way to go.. Got it, installed it.. Got stuck at the Battery Tunnel Gate this morning.. If it works on some occasions, what's the point of having this monstrosity on my front plate.. Any luck with the inside smaller tag from anyone? TIA.

The black spot to the right of the rear view mirror is where it's "supposed" to go but I've had mixed success with it in the NY tolls (I have the new small rectangular one). I removed my front plate so the front mount is not an option. Kind of a PITA but hopefully the plate readers work well.

The black spot to the right of the rear view mirror is where it's "supposed" to go but I've had mixed success with it in the NY tolls (I have the new small rectangular one). I removed my front plate so the front mount is not an option. Kind of a PITA but hopefully the plate readers work well.
You mean you took plate frame off? I took that off as well and have black tag sit on top of my license plate.. That setup did not work at BBT toll booth.

I placed my California FastTrak transponder to the right of the rear mirror stem with the transponder upside down. Seems to work for me at least here in California.
Thanks.. Can you send a pic? Not sure what the differences are but I'll try inside unit, as I am not sure I can handle external tag that does not work all the time.

Bbt and rfk toll plaza do not work with ez pass bumper placement. No idea why. Everywhere else does. I mounted it on the interior of the old face mount using an external ex pass. Took me about a month and 5 failed attempts to work through this. Unfortunately, bbt and rfk remain a mystery still.

I placed my California FastTrak transponder to the right of the rear mirror stem with the transponder upside down. Seems to work for me at least here in California.
Ummmm interesting, upside down? I will try this. Right side up is not working for me but I wondered if the dash cam might be interfering. Do you have the transponder with the 3 switch issued by LA Metro or without from the Toll Roads of OC?

I think the age/condition (cleanliness from diesel emissions, etc) of some of the EZPass readers at the tollbooths is also a problem. I have held my EZPass above the car through the open sunroof when entering exiting the NJTP, specifically using Exits 14 (Newark Airport) and 14C (Holland Tunnel) and consistently the prompt says 'No EZPpass read, while I never have an issue at the PANJNY Holland Tunnel toll booths holding it above the sunroof. And for the record, all the NJTP EZPass readers (other than north/south terminus) are the traditional slow down to 10MPH and squeeze between tollbooths type. The Garden State Parkway has many more EZPass readers that span the entire width of the roadway and do not require a slowdown and I rarely have an issue there.

I know there are a lot of posts on this topic, but I am wondering if there are any news on this topic.. Picked up my new refreshed Model S 2 weeks ago and read all about EZ Pass headaches.. Brooklyn delivery team claimed that external tag is the only way to go.. Got it, installed it.. Got stuck at the Battery Tunnel Gate this morning.. If it works on some occasions, what's the point of having this monstrosity on my front plate.. Any luck with the inside smaller tag from anyone? TIA.

This may not help you, but I have a PA EZ Pass and was worried that it would not work from within the car (S75D picked up on 9/30/17). But I took a chance and tested it going through one of the slow lanes to make sure it worked showing the green 'Thank you' light - and it did. So I did not have to consider the other 'Tesla approved' options to make EZ pass work

Any luck with the inside smaller tag from anyone? TIA.

Mine seems to work anywhere around the windshield. Initially I had it mounted to the right of the rear view. The vecro fell off in high heat. Now I just hold it up anywhere and it has always registered so far. I have the newer small transponder from NJ. On the MS refresh, I don't think there is a black area to the right of the rear view any more. Mine doesn't have one.

I have one of the old, big square box transceivers, mounted on the windshield to the right of the right of the rear view mirror. 2017 March build model S. Never had a problem, traveling Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Jersey Turnpike, and NYC. It just works, but, yes, it looks ugly. I'll settle for "it just works." Better is the enemy of good enough.