TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Facial Recognition enabled in app for Model S (Currently iPhone only)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by SKRGO, Aug 30, 2018.

1. SKRGO

SKRGO Member

Facial recognition is now on the Tesla APP. When I went to use it on the MS and the vehicle unlocked and I was seated the display showed "Keyless driving enabled" :) Keyless Entry enabled.jpg

2. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

#2 cgiGuy, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    You sure you didn't hit the "start" button on the app?

Facial recognition has been on the iOS app to start the car for at least 6 months, if not more. Has to be enabled in the settings first, however.

3. SKRGO

SKRGO Member

#3 SKRGO, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    yes I did. But no fob in my possession or within range of the MS. When I hit the unlock button it checked my facial recognition before unlocking the MS. Then I selected the start button on the Tesla APP and the pic shown is what I viewed.

4. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

Ok. I think many will read your thread title of "keyless entry" as the type the M3 has, where you don't need to even touch your phone. The car senses the phone and gets authorization without any action required from the driver.

The whole point of the "start" button is to allow driving without a fob, and it's been on the app for quite a while. I would, however, never rely on it.. since yesterday was a perfect example that the network can go down at any time and then you're stuck if you're outside of the car without a fob.

• Like x 1
  5. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.48.12.1

What phone do you have? What version of the Tesla app?

6. SKRGO

SKRGO Member

Agreed how do I change the Title?

7. SKRGO

SKRGO Member

Model X Iphone

APP Version 3.4.4 (fad4a582e)

MS version 2018.28.5 377ec8b

• Informative x 1
  8. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

You can use the "report" button, which will send a message to the moderator.

Also, in case you didn't know, you can tell Siri to "open the car" or "unlock the car" and it will use facial recognition and then unlock it. It's been a little flaky at times, so I don't know if it relies upon the app having been opened recently. Can't say "start the car" just yet, though. :)

9. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.48.12.1

It looks like the moderators just updated it. :)

• Like x 1
  10. Evoforce

Evoforce Member

My problem with this update is that it keeps rebooting my small screen constantly. Are there any later update fixes for this?