Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Facial Recognition via exterior cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

2101Guy

Breaker of Ignore Buttons
Jan 6, 2020
USA
The Genesis GV60 uses an external camera for facial recognition to unlock the vehicle. Is it possible that with software coding, the existing Tesla hardware cameras on the B pillars could be used for facial recognition as an option to unlock Teslas as well?

The Genesis GV60 uses an external camera for facial recognition to unlock the vehicle. Is it possible that with software coding, the existing Tesla hardware cameras on the B pillars could be used for facial recognition as an option to unlock Teslas as well?

It seems possible, but doing so would either slow down the unlock process as you have to wait for the computer systems to wake up, or use as much energy as Sentry Mode by keeping the systems running. Tesla's current entry system uses a very small amount of power and is very responsive due to being completely independent from the main computer. I'm curious how Hyundai is handling this.

It seems possible, but doing so would either slow down the unlock process as you have to wait for the computer systems to wake up, or use as much energy as Sentry Mode by keeping the systems running. Tesla's current entry system uses a very small amount of power and is very responsive due to being completely independent from the main computer. I'm curious how Hyundai is handling this.
Sentry Mode uses a lot of energy because the AP computer is analyzing the camera inputs looking for threats. Facial recognition wouldn't need to do that. If there was enough interest, Tesla could probably implement it in an energy-friendly way.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Sentry Mode uses a lot of energy because the AP computer is analyzing the camera inputs looking for threats. Facial recognition wouldn't need to do that. If there was enough interest, Tesla could probably implement it in an energy-friendly way.
The AP computer has to be running in order for the cameras to work. How would facial recognition work without the computer being on?

Reactions: sleepydoc
The dashcam doesn’t require the AP computer to record video, the AP computer is only used to process that video. Facial recognition wouldn’t require that kind of processing.
It still requires the computer to be on and constantly monitoring the video.

This seems like a cool feature at first but I’m trying to figure how it would be truly useful. Very few facial recognition systems have the same security - the iPhone is one of the better ones but it uses much more than a plain camera image and even if you can unlock the car, you still need a key to drive it.

Honestly, the phone key system Tesla uses has been practically flawless for me and is incredibly seamless. I can’t see how a facial recognition system would be better and I can think of a lot of ways it could be worse.

Reactions: Big Earl
It still requires the computer to be on and constantly monitoring the video.

This seems like a cool feature at first but I’m trying to figure how it would be truly useful. Very few facial recognition systems have the same security - the iPhone is one of the better ones but it uses much more than a plain camera image and even if you can unlock the car, you still need a key to drive it.

Honestly, the phone key system Tesla uses has been practically flawless for me and is incredibly seamless. I can’t see how a facial recognition system would be better and I can think of a lot of ways it could be worse.
The Genesis GV60 actually has a fingerprint reader inside so you can turn on the car using that. So basically your face and finger can act as the key to the car.

For me though, and I'm guessing a good chunk of the population, the phone might as well be surgically attached to me, so using the phone key is probably more convenient.

As far as I can tell you activate the facial recognition camera on the GV60 by touching the door handle. I don't know if any Tesla (certainly not the Model Y) have something outside that could be touched to activate anything, so I'm not sure how facial recognition could be practically implemented.

The Genesis GV60 actually has a fingerprint reader inside so you can turn on the car using that. So basically your face and finger can act as the key to the car.

For me though, and I'm guessing a good chunk of the population, the phone might as well be surgically attached to me, so using the phone key is probably more convenient.

As far as I can tell you activate the facial recognition camera on the GV60 by touching the door handle. I don't know if any Tesla (certainly not the Model Y) have something outside that could be touched to activate anything, so I'm not sure how facial recognition could be practically implemented.
That would allow the system to stay in sleep mode until you turn it off. Living in a region where it's cold enough to require gloves for half the year a fingerprint sensor isn't my first choice!

I actually got a card wallet that clips on the back of my phone that has my license and a couple of credit cards. I realized that I never use cash anymore and I forget my wallet far more often than I forget my phone. Especially now that my phone is my car key!