Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory dvd option in the model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had some videos that were encoded about 15 years ago. Once I upgraded to Windows 7, the videos would no longer play since the codecs weren't included with Windows. I spent days trying to find the right codec which would allow me to play the files but eventually gave up.
Sorry. I wasn't on your tech desk back then. Here ya go:

VideoHelp - Forum, Guides, Software and DVD lists

;-)

$2000 sounds like a lot of money until it makes the screaming from the back stop right away, then it seems really cheap.
+42! A point well made!

Pretty obvious most of you against a factory entertainment system don't have kids... or never had an integrate entertainment system from the factory.
We've have a minivan since my kids were babies. When they're small, they can't hold a tablet or work the DVD controls so we could control it from the front. They would fight and pick on each other after 20 minutes, or never stop talking- which is cute for a few minutes but gets out of hand after 20 minutes. There was NO WAY I'd go on a road trip without a DVD system when they were younger.
Now they're 9, 11, 12 and I'd still never go on a road trip without a DVD player. Now they can use wireless headphones so I can listen to Spotify or even the radio over the front speakers. They have phones and tablets and play game via hotspot, but on road trips, they always end up going back to the DVD for most of the drive. I tend to buy Bluray discs that include a DVD copy or at least a digital copy for the pads that we can then play through the van screen via an input. It's not needed for shorter trips but it's HUGELY useful for anything more than 30 minutes.

Have any of you tried watching a movie in the back of a vehicle using a pad... good luck not puking after 20 minutes or you're neck will be sore after 30 minutes unless you hold it up, in which case your arms will be tired after 10 minutes. Not to mention how many gigs of data would it be to run 3 pads be for 4-5 hours? Some would say use a head rest stand; call me paranoids, but I don't want ANYTHING that could injury my children in an accident. That pad could come flying out or they could smash their head or even their hand on it. It's not crash tested at all.

Just my 2 cents from a parent who has younger kids and always had an integrated entertainment system and hopes Tesla will make something available.

The absence of DVD players, CD players, analog input, iPod®/iPhone® integration, Apple® Carplay® (or whatever) and other forms of 'Rear Seat Entertainment Systems' as built-in functions of Tesla Motors vehicles makes perfect sense to me. ...

That said, some of you might consider setting up a mini-itx computer in the car as a WiFi server to tablets and phones in the car. You may also be able to set it in such a way that you control the server from the driver's seat, and stream content to the children. For those using the rear facing jumpseats in a Model S, you can set it to switch between cameras that are viewing children, and use it as a sort of video intercom, where the kids can see your face and you can see theirs. That can be done perhaps with your phone on a mount, and a tablet set up for the kids, with the mini-itx computer being used as a server in between.

Now that also sounds like an easy, cheap and convenient way of going about the whole thing :rolleyes:

I fully understand that Tesla doesn't offer a factory RES based on DVD tech and I agreee it is unnecessary for them to do so as there are cheap and easy to use aftermarket players available. What I don't agree with is the notion that tablet/streaming service based content would in any way be better than the "old-tech" solutions.
I mean, setting up a media server? Connecting various devices or trying to do so in the hope of getting things to work. Honestly?
No one here has yet shown that any of the alternatives are cheaper and more convenient than connecting a DVD player to the headrest, popping in a film, plugging in a headset and voila, you're done. Takes less than five minutes, doesn't require a degree in media server tech, plus works stable even if you are somewhere with no data connection.
I would go as far as to say that those new "high tech" solutions are just as unnecessary for the average user as they are neither cheaper nor easier to use than the "old tech" ones - at least as regards rear seat entertainment for the kids.

- - - Updated - - -

The 'Cheaper, more convenient, and easily upgradable’ comment you quoted is in reference to the incredibly over-priced built-in entertainment systems (usually well north of $1,000 US) which usually end up obsolete within a couple years.

Ok, that makes sense. I misunderstood that.

- - - Updated - - -

As a side note, most content here is not available on DVD any more.. it’s moved to digital download and blu-ray (which is probably going to be short-lived as mediums go).

Wow, didn't know that. All the media content our kids are interested in is readily available on DVD still. Plus, things recorded on our receiver can be transferred to DVD whenever necessary too. And, also as a side note, our two car DVD players have USB and SD-card support and can play most media formats from those input devices. So not completely "old tech" alone ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Furthermore, who has actually stopped and closely observed their kids recently? I have a 6 year-old nephew who slightly prefers interacting with a tablet (e.g. both educational games and simple games) over watching a film on the tablet. My 9 year old niece is about 50/50 between interaction and watching. My older kids definitely prefer interaction over watching, probably 75% interacting vs. 25% watching.

As is often the case, across the pond things might be a little further along the way into the future. Our kids (3 and 7) don't show that behaviour. Both like to play with their tablet at home but seem to prefer watching DVD on a long drive. Perhaps they find it more relaxing. Whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

The mobile platforms are now more lucrative than either videogame consoles or PC gaming. Since tablets are based on the same technology and have larger screens, they too have seen a revolution in mobile gaming. The ability to stream video from YouTube, Hulu, and NetFlix has been a revelation. And being able to take along your favorite movies and television shows without a stack of DVDs has been a boon. The fact these devices can also be used to communicate with audio (as a phone), video (via Skype), photos (Instagram) or good old fashioned text (e-mail, Facebook) is for all intents a bonus.

I don't disagree with that argument. But all of those mobile media services require a stable connection to be useful. I don't know about the US in that respect, and I thought Germany was a first world country, but you wouldn't believe how bad mobile connections can be over quite long stretches of Autobahn here. Perhaps that will get better over time, but at the moment I can fully picture the reaction our kids would have if they were watching their favorite films over Youtube or whatever service and every few minutes would have a stalling picture or other faults due to missing connection.

- - - Updated - - -

I see a lot of "outdated" talk in this thread. I was unaware DVDs suddenly stopped working at the point when iPads came out :rolleyes:

+1000

I think Apple seems to have brainwashed common sense out of a lot of people. Pictures of people camping in front of Apple stores days before some new "wonder product" launches come to mind. ;-)

AustinPowers: Yeah, well I'm a tech guy. I've been working with computers in one way or the other for most of the past 35 years. Certain things that are 'easy' for me are a lot harder for others, I know. I've built all my own computers since the first one I bought. Heck, I customized the first one so much that it was an entirely different animal when I was done. If you read what I wrote before again, you may realize that the system I have in mind would still allow either streamed content from the web, or streamed content over WiFi LAN, or use of stored content on individual devices. Access to anything and everything in whichever way was most convenient or essential at the time. And the sort of system I'd build myself for maybe $500 would far exceed the abilities of a $2,000 factory system, and would be a $5,000 install by a custom shop. So yeah, it would be 'cheaper'.

I repeat myself, because this point needs to be made:

Replacing elegant integrated rear screens with dangling power cords and hold-it-yourself-or-with-duct-tape tablets without in-car Wi-Fi in a $100,000+ car is hardly modern. It's just cheap. Model S absolutely sucks in the modern rear entertainment arena when compared to high-end competition. We shall see how Model X fares.

These are high-end cars. They would preferably have high-end features. I get the lack of CD, DVD and TV in particular as a principle (while at times inconvenient because they remain convenient technologies), but there is no "modern" reason for not having great tablet integration with factory-integrated power and holders and/or seat-integrated touchscreens for modern video input and rear-seat car control, like the competition has. In fact, Tesla's front UI is proof of what they could do in the rear as well, if they so decided, and keep it up-to-date through software.

The "riffraff" (to quote another convo) can go buy a Model 3 and hook some tablets with ducttape. ;) In a $100,000+ car holding your own tablet while watching movies and powering it from the lighter plug or an extra battery in your coat pocket is a not a good solution, nor is it the modern solution - and let's not pretend it is, no matter what Tesla does or does not. Also, Tesla definitely should offer in-car Wi-Fi using car 4G aerial, if they intend to have people rely on tablets for rear-seat entertainment. Hopefully Model X will address this concern (and if the feature needs its own SIM card, that's fine).

The guy in the rear of the Audi or BMW next to your Tesla is enjoying elegant car-powered, car-aerial networked entertainment with rear-seat car feature control (including navigation) with their hands free for working on a fine wood-veneered table, with their behind on a ventilated and massaged seat no less, while your kids on the back of the Tesla are trying to get their tablets powered somehow by dangling wires to the front and connected to something through their cellphones while duct-taping it all to your neck - and begging you to turn on and off the rear seat heating every five minutes from the front.

Being bad is not modern.

Don't know man, I have two very active boys and I hope that being glued to an iPad or an ICES would be the last thing I would want on a family trip. One of my colleagues said that audio books works well with his kids and I tried it with mine, seems to be really cool with them. We were able to have discussions about the stories and the bigger one wanted some paper to draw what he imagined one of the scenes to be.

However, that's just my kids and my opinions.

Also, while we have enough electronic devices to go around, no device has an owner and they are all family property to be shared. Accordingly, everyone has learnt to wait their turn. They have even learnt to bargain another's turn away from the other or from one of us parents.

Pretty obvious most of you against a factory entertainment system don't have kids... or never had an integrate entertainment system from the factory.
We've have a minivan since my kids were babies. When they're small, they can't hold a tablet or work the DVD controls so we could control it from the front. They would fight and pick on each other after 20 minutes, or never stop talking- which is cute for a few minutes but gets out of hand after 20 minutes. There was NO WAY I'd go on a road trip without a DVD system when they were younger.
Now they're 9, 11, 12 and I'd still never go on a road trip without a DVD player. Now they can use wireless headphones so I can listen to Spotify or even the radio over the front speakers. They have phones and tablets and play game via hotspot, but on road trips, they always end up going back to the DVD for most of the drive. I tend to buy Bluray discs that include a DVD copy or at least a digital copy for the pads that we can then play through the van screen via an input. It's not needed for shorter trips but it's HUGELY useful for anything more than 30 minutes.

Have any of you tried watching a movie in the back of a vehicle using a pad... good luck not puking after 20 minutes or you're neck will be sore after 30 minutes unless you hold it up, in which case your arms will be tired after 10 minutes. Not to mention how many gigs of data would it be to run 3 pads be for 4-5 hours? Some would say use a head rest stand; call me paranoids, but I don't want ANYTHING that could injury my children in an accident. That pad could come flying out or they could smash their head or even their hand on it. It's not crash tested at all.

Just my 2 cents from a parent who has younger kids and always had an integrated entertainment system and hopes Tesla will make something available.

There are devices/mounts that you can use to hold the tablet...and there's no need to stream video. Did you know you can put media files on the device and watch them that way? It may be more difficult with iPads but with Android, you can rip copies of your own DVDs/Blurays and just copy them over to the device. 0 GB of cellular data needed...and no additional cost if you already own the movies. Also, just last week Amazon started allowing offline viewing of videos available with their Amazon Prime service and I know most cable companies have apps which allow you to download video for offline viewing.

When I travel, I always have a dozen or so movies on my tablet so I have a variety of movies to choose from. I've never used a single kilobyte for streaming data...as I don't even have a data account.

Last edited:

Don't group everyone with kids into the same category. I wouldn't want a RES as standard on any car I own, as option sure (for others, not me). If my kids saw screens in the car, they'd always want them on. It'd lead to more fights (but I want to watch 4 hours of TV instead of just 2!)

My kids (still young, almost 3 and 5) have grown up taking road trips in the car. They never see a screen. They play/fight/talk, look at the window, play games (I spy, draw, etc.), check the trips tab in the car to see how far we are from a charger, etc. etc. etc.

AnxietyRanger: I rarely reply to you directly, because we often agree. When we agree, I just click the kudos collector, and move on. This is one of those where I disagree*. Let me tell you why...:crying:

I repeat myself, because this point needs to be made:

Replacing elegant integrated rear screens with dangling power cords and hold-it-yourself-or-with-duct-tape tablets without in-car Wi-Fi in a $100,000+ car is hardly modern. It's just cheap. Model S absolutely sucks in the modern rear entertainment arena when compared to high-end competition. We shall see how Model X fares.
There's nothing 'elegant' about the rear seat of a Porsche Panamera Executive. The screens attached to the back of the front seats are just plain stupid looking. Did someone on the design team just recently discover 'Pimp My Ride' reruns or something?:cursing:

These are high-end cars. They would preferably have high-end features.
The commercials that BMW has on YouTube to cover their latest 7-Series are absolutely pitiful in that they spend so much time talking about the detachable tablet that someone in the limousine position can busy themselves with... It's more embarrassing for them than anything that is left out of a Tesla Motors product. Because theirs is supposedly 'THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE' as opposed to the ultimate plush fatcat mobile.:rolleyes:

I get the lack of CD, DVD and TV in particular as a principle (while at times inconvenient because they remain convenient technologies), but there is no "modern" reason for not having great tablet integration with factory-integrated power and holders and/or seat-integrated touchscreens for modern video input and rear-seat car control, like the competition has. In fact, Tesla's front UI is proof of what they could do in the rear as well, if they so decided, and keep it up-to-date through software.
The point is that no matter how 'modern' a rear entertainment system may be on the date of purchase, it will be woefully backward, staid, and incompetent within two years. Better to allow your Customers to 'future proof' the in-car entertainment themselves.

The "riffraff" (to quote another convo) can go buy a Model 3 and hook some tablets with ducttape. ;)
What? I LIKE duct tape! Besides, the more civil among barbarians such as myself have upgraded to Velcro®. :biggrin:

In a $100,000+ car holding your own tablet while watching movies and powering it from the lighter plug or an extra battery in your coat pocket is a not a good solution, nor is it the modern solution - and let's not pretend it is, no matter what Tesla does or does not.
Wait... What?!? Since when is the Model X a pullman carriage with a Butler, Maidservant, and Footman at your beck and call? You can't have your children bothered to actually hold the tablet that they want to watch? Lemmeguess... They've never worn the same pair of socks twice have they? You buy them a new car every other month... Or whenever the old Rolls gets dirty, don't you? You want 'hands free' operation? VELCRO® is your answer!:cool:

Also, Tesla definitely should offer in-car Wi-Fi using car 4G aerial, if they intend to have people rely on tablets for rear-seat entertainment. Hopefully Model X will address this concern (and if the feature needs its own SIM card, that's fine).
No. They shouldn't. Tell your Chauffeur to give the kids the login for his T-Mobile Hotspot.:tongue:

The guy in the rear of the Audi or BMW next to your Tesla is enjoying elegant car-powered, car-aerial networked entertainment with rear-seat car feature control (including navigation) with their hands free for working on a fine wood-veneered table, with their behind on a ventilated and massaged seat no less, while your kids on the back of the Tesla are trying to get their tablets powered somehow by dangling wires to the front and connected to something through their cellphones while duct-taping it all to your neck - and begging you to turn on and off the rear seat heating every five minutes from the front.
Dude. I care about that as much as I care about boulevard cruisers on Saturday night. Because they will be 'beside' me for all of 0.0003 seconds, if that long, while I pass them at hyperspeed. They'll be saying, "Whuwuzzat?!?" as my tail lights disappear over the horizon.:scared:

Being bad is not modern.
Tell that to the other guys!:smile:

* In case you were not aware, I am a moderately civil barbarian who cares nothing for luxury features.

My kids are now 10 and 11. I've had integrated systems in prior cars. My opinion stands: I'd much rather use tablets or portable devices than an expensive and cumbersome built in option. The beauty of tablets is they can be upgraded and you can buy/stream content on the fly.

There are devices/mounts that you can use to hold the tablet...and there's no need to stream video. Did you know you can put media files on the device and watch them that way? It may be more difficult with iPads but with Android, you can rip copies of your own DVDs/Blurays and just copy them over to the device. 0 GB of cellular data needed...and no additional cost if you already own the movies. Also, just last week Amazon started allowing offline viewing of videos available with their Amazon Prime service and I know most cable companies have apps which allow you to download video for offline viewing.

When I travel, I always have a dozen or so movies on my tablet so I have a variety of movies to choose from. I've never used a single kilobyte for streaming data...as I don't even have a data account.

Those brackets are exactly what I'm talking about when it comes to potentially breaking and turning the pad into a projectile or the kids hurting themselves against them in an accident. Hell, and adult could easily hit their head on a pad on a headrest bracket.
Yeah, but that's a pain to load movies on the iPad. I'm not a fan of iTunes at all. The Amazon Movies download is a pretty cool feature that I'll be using on my next trip.

Don't group everyone with kids into the same category. I wouldn't want a RES as standard on any car I own, as option sure (for others, not me). If my kids saw screens in the car, they'd always want them on. It'd lead to more fights (but I want to watch 4 hours of TV instead of just 2!)

My kids (still young, almost 3 and 5) have grown up taking road trips in the car. They never see a screen. They play/fight/talk, look at the window, play games (I spy, draw, etc.), check the trips tab in the car to see how far we are from a charger, etc. etc. etc.

Who said anything about it being STANDARD??? RES are NEVER standard.
And I don't recall grouping everyone with kids into the same category and I'm certainly NOT telling you how to raise your kids. Just explaining there is a place for an OPTIONAL RES on a Model X.

Those brackets are exactly what I'm talking about when it comes to potentially breaking and turning the pad into a projectile or the kids hurting themselves against them in an accident. Hell, and adult could easily hit their head on a pad on a headrest bracket.

If you spend a little bit more (still a fraction of the cost of built-in RES), you can get some very nice holders:

bmw_ipad_holder__1__01.jpg

ipad_holder_layer.jpg

And they are safe as they are up to OEM standard and safety.

You don't need to load the actual movies in each device. You can buy a $30 travel router which can act as a media server:

DIR-506L-feature2.png

Just plug in a flash drive with movies in the router, and multiple devices can stream from it - no wires.

I personally haven't touched any DVDs in the last few years.

If you spend a little bit more (still a fraction of the cost of built-in RES), you can get some very nice holders:

bmw_ipad_holder__1__01.jpg

ipad_holder_layer.jpg

And they are safe as they are up to OEM standard and safety.

You don't need to load the actual movies in each device. You can buy a $30 travel router which can act as a media server:

DIR-506L-feature2.png

Just plug in a flash drive with movies in the router, and multiple devices can stream from it - no wires.

I personally haven't touched any DVDs in the last few years.

Those holders won't fit Model X. No posts holding up the headrests.

To be clear, a great factory-made tablet integration with a holder system, neatly integrated power, access to in-car Wi-Fi and Tesla app control for car features would be a perfectly acceptable approach to RES in my books. Add a few factory-optioned seat-integrated screens with CarPlay support and it would be perfect, but not even that is mandatory. I'm not at all saying we need DVD drives and physical controls or whatnot.

But let's just not pretend duct tape and after market cable dangling is a preferable or somehow modern solution.

- - - Updated - - -

There's nothing 'elegant' about the rear seat of a Porsche Panamera Executive. The screens attached to the back of the front seats are just plain stupid looking. Did someone on the design team just recently discover 'Pimp My Ride' reruns or something?:cursing:

I prefer Audi and BMW in this regard, I agree Porsche is not very elegant.

The point is that no matter how 'modern' a rear entertainment system may be on the date of purchase, it will be woefully backward, staid, and incompetent within two years. Better to allow your Customers to 'future proof' the in-car entertainment themselves.

The point is: You could do a future-proofed rear-entertainment solution. Look at the front of a Model S (and imagine adding support to CarPlay etc. over software updates) to see how it could be done. Same could be repeated on the rear, with added integrated holder and powering system for tablets etc. Different tablet styles and charging can be solved with factory-made adapters that can by upgraded every so often for a few of the most common options like Audi's media and phone adapters. Heck, support the iPads and offer a generic Android solution and you're good to go.

Wait... What?!? Since when is the Model X a pullman carriage with a Butler, Maidservant, and Footman at your beck and call? You can't have your children bothered to actually hold the tablet that they want to watch? Lemmeguess... They've never worn the same pair of socks twice have they? You buy them a new car every other month... Or whenever the old Rolls gets dirty, don't you? You want 'hands free' operation? VELCRO® is your answer!:cool:

No. They shouldn't. Tell your Chauffeur to give the kids the login for his T-Mobile Hotspot.:tongue:

I don't have a butler or a chauffeur, but I do like high-end cars. I am, in my own way, pushing Tesla to be competitive in that area. As for the hotspot, the point was about the car aerial: In a moving metal cage the reception is hardly optimal. Using the car 4G aerial for an in-car Wi-Fi is much preferable - and yes, the modern solution.

To summarize: I think a modern car rear-seat entertainment solution offers clean access to car's power, car's Internet, car's features (like heating and navigation) and offers holding for handsfree operation - all this without looking like someone pulled out the duct-tape and looted RadioShack.

1: kids that are too young to hold an iPad should not be watching TV to begin with. Get a sock puppet.
2: my kids can hold iPads and never ever watch TV on them. They want to be online and interact. They can't interact with an iPad that is glued to the seat.
3: as was said before, any entertainment system mounted in a car is outdated as soon as it is mounted
4: my kids know nothing about DVDs, compact cassettes,fax machines, or rotary phones. Those who think that a DVD player in a car is a great idea should consider leaving the eighties behind. The age of floppy disks is as distant a ticker tape and radio tubes.

What my passengers need is powerful USB ports (not those skimpy 500mA ports that my Model S has :mad: ), a way to "throw" music from the iPad onto the car audio, and maybe a hotspot functionality.

Reactions: AreV
1: kids that are too young to hold an iPad should not be watching TV to begin with. Get a sock puppet.
2: my kids can hold iPads and never ever watch TV on them. They want to be online and interact. They can't interact with an iPad that is glued to the seat.
3: as was said before, any entertainment system mounted in a car is outdated as soon as it is mounted
4: my kids know nothing about DVDs, compact cassettes,fax machines, or rotary phones. Those who think that a DVD player in a car is a great idea should consider leaving the eighties behind. The age of floppy disks is as distant a ticker tape and radio tubes.

What my passengers need is powerful USB ports (not those skimpy 500mA ports that my Model S has :mad: ), a way to "throw" music from the iPad onto the car audio, and maybe a hotspot functionality.

I agree powerful USB ports are a useful and necessary part of a good rear seat system.

A few points:

1: Many people dislike holding tablets when watching video, no matter their age. Hence the holders, which would double as a charging/powering solution - and a place to put the tablet when they are not in use. A movable holder might be useful for interaction too.

2: Going online without an in-car Wi-Fi (or other solution that uses car's own external aerial) is not optimal, especially should Tesla ever venture into actual high-end glazing on their cars which kills signal. I understand you agree with this.

3: Obviously not true considering the solution can be based on smart devices that are connected through a system with software upgradeability and swappable hardware mounting gear. Others do this already, Tesla could shine in the software department. Also, with things like CarPlay and Miracast and what have you, integrated screens could still do wonders - even if they are just screens for external things.

4: CD, DVD, TV are not needed to make the above point - all the points above are about modern conveniences and not incompatible with Tesla's philosophy. (Although personally I would find CD/DVD/TV convenient sometimes. We can watch TV in out other cars but not in the Model S.)