Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failed rear half shaft and half shaft seal - where to get OEM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2018 TM3 awd 50,000 miles with failed rear half shaft and half shaft seal. My car developed clunking sound at slow acceleration at around 30mph in the rear. I checked under the car and saw oil. Removed cover and confirmed leaking rear driver axle seal and by moving the wheel in neutral I confirmed failed half shaft. Done my share of replacing those in my ICE cars. Spent some time exchanging messages with Tesla Service advisor who will not do any axle seal or half shaft work under drive unit warranty. The service person wants for $400 to lubricate my drive axle to wheel hub location that I have already done. The seal happens to be part of drive unit. I can buy after market TM3 rear half shaft from Amazon for $80, and seal for $20. I do have service manual for the TM3 from online and the job itself is not any different from the ICE care I have done before. Does anyone know if I could buy from Tesla OEM half shaft
or seal? Has anyone successfully used aftermarket half shaft? My concern is it will not last long given the Electric torque involved. Is it worth spending my time to drive to Tesla service place and asking to sell me the parts? It is 1 hour away for me.

IMG_0738.jpeg

Reactions: Adam3
nobody sells new OEM Tesla half-shafts on ebay. There are vendors that make aftermarket new half shafts. I had good look with aftermarket in my ICE cars, but I would like to get new OEM for my TM3. To be seen if Tesla will sell me the parts - I will report back. I will be disappointed if they don’t sell the parts…

nobody sells new OEM Tesla half-shafts on ebay. There are vendors that make aftermarket new half shafts. I had good look with aftermarket in my ICE cars, but I would like to get new OEM for my TM3. To be seen if Tesla will sell me the parts - I will report back. I will be disappointed if they don’t sell the parts…

My son bought an old Model S that needed some parts, and he was able to buy everything he wanted via the Tesla app by making a service request, a quarter panel, window regulator and some interior clips. So I can't see any reason if you know the half-shaft part number they won't be able to sell you it.