Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to protect new front half-shafts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my 2019 MX Raven from the SC today for its last in-warranty service (expires next week). Among the repairs was replacement of the front half-shafts. What is the current wisdom on "best practices" for preserving these new half shafts (e.g. run suspension in low, drive in chill mode, etc.) ? I am aware of the N2itive product but I'm planning to pop for an XCare warranty soon and don't have the budget currently for both.

You can trash front axels in less than 25k miles. So….. what causes them to wear f is hard acceleration. the smaller the drive shaft angle the less the shafts wear.

So chill mode in low. But what fun is that. tires will wear faster. Keep it in normal drop it to very low when you know you want to thrash on it and then when the wheels are straight. That should get you a few thousand more miles.

Warranty before camber kit. You can drive quite a while on shuddering shafts.

After my 4th set on my P85D, I lowered the car an inch and never had the problem come back. Sold it 3 years later with 65K miles on the last replaced set. Note, that the 4th set wasn't even the redesigned shafts that was supposed to fix the issue. Also, in addition to lowering, I only accelerate hard from a stop on lowest and only when going straight. Once you're past 25 mph, you can accelerate hard on the next highest setting and when going around a corner.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Reading this thread, you all seem to have resigned yourselves to the fact that we will have to pay for new half shafts every 15-20k miles…. Mine are going in for their 5th set at 120k km. so far all under warranty. It seems to me some cars MX never have a problem. I know a few that have driven 100k performance version and never had a half shaft problem. I drive mainly motorway at 140km/h and after 10-15k km it vibrates horribly untill I get them swapped again. Even when new there is a very high frequency vibration as if something is not quite aligned. This is in my view the reason that in my car the shafts need replacing every 15k miles. They admit that some cars are not as aligned as others. (Presses change their shape and need re-calibrating) but insist that mine is within tolerances, but my experience seems to say otherwise. Basically I think we all have misaligned cars that cause this issue. Yes driving in low helps. I have even had Tesla against their orders set my car to be aligned when in Low. I don’t accelerate hard when cold and never in a bend, but it still keeps coming back…. Anyone thought of going legal?

• Informative
Reading this thread, you all seem to have resigned yourselves to the fact that we will have to pay for new half shafts every 15-20k miles…. Mine are going in for their 5th set at 120k km. so far all under warranty. It seems to me some cars MX never have a problem. I know a few that have driven 100k performance version and never had a half shaft problem. I drive mainly motorway at 140km/h and after 10-15k km it vibrates horribly untill I get them swapped again. Even when new there is a very high frequency vibration as if something is not quite aligned. This is in my view the reason that in my car the shafts need replacing every 15k miles. They admit that some cars are not as aligned as others. (Presses change their shape and need re-calibrating) but insist that mine is within tolerances, but my experience seems to say otherwise. Basically I think we all have misaligned cars that cause this issue. Yes driving in low helps. I have even had Tesla against their orders set my car to be aligned when in Low. I don’t accelerate hard when cold and never in a bend, but it still keeps coming back…. Anyone thought of going legal?
Did you read my post right above yours?

Any chance you drive with range mode always on??

Just drive in the standard height. Don't use the option to change the height at different speeds.
This is incorrect. Use the “default to low” setting at all times.

When they changed my half shafts on my MX Raven the SC handed me a piece of paper that said to always drive on low

I have a performance model and can confirm that after many launches and plenty of spirited driving I’ve had no issues after 10k mi (too early to tell, I know, but still a good sign)

• Informative
This is incorrect. Use the “default to low” setting at all times.

When they changed my half shafts on my MX Raven the SC handed me a piece of paper that said to always drive on low

I have a performance model and can confirm that after many launches and plenty of spirited driving I’ve had no issues after 10k mi (too early to tell, I know, but still a good sign)
Is that true for legacy ones ie. years with verticle screens?

I've had friends that were told standard height by tesla mobile techs as an example .... or maybe that is just for tire wear?

Just had my half shafts done on the 2017 MX. $350 per the TSB, but it was a bit of a fight.

So far, so good. I ride at the 2nd lowest suspension setting and at acceleration it seems like a tiny bit of shudder is still around, but could just be because I was so used to how bad it was before.

Thinking of the N2itive links, though, just to save tires and not have to mess around with lowering and raising and of course another round of half shaft replacement.

A bit of a fight why? Last time it was ~$800 for pair - how did you negotiate $350?
TSB correction code. There are hundreds of examples of peoples' invoices showing that centers are doing these for $350. They quoted me over $1700 and then I took two other TMC members' invoice images and also sent the link to this topic on this forum. Then they adjusted the estimate to $350 + tax. I provided the invoice in another thread about this topic here: Thread About Half Shafts

Reactions: pereiks
I have a 2018 Model X, and at 80k miles I replaced the 3rd time front half shafts. I had to replace my rear tires at 31k miles. They told me it was because of the alignment.
I always drive on chill mode, and the setting to autoadjust the height.

Great that I found this forum and see that I'm not alone. Will ride it on standard or next lower from standard setting.