Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to protect new front half-shafts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Resonance caused by Half Shaft phasing or Half Shaft rumble​

Description

Firmware Details
Steps To Test
Steps To Fix

Effects
Causes

DESCRIPTION​

This is an issue in which the two driveshafts begin vibrating in phase with each other.

Each driveshaft has a tendency to plunge in and out slightly (to the left and right), which is worsened by greater driveshaft angles. If both axles are plunging in and out and they are both going left and right at the same time (in phase), there will be a vibration felt from the rear. If they are out of phase, they will cancel out and there will be no detectable vibration.

FIRMWARE DETAILS​

None

STEPS TO TEST​

1. Explore all other causes for vibration (bushings, damaged links, subframe damage, tires and wheels, rear hub concentricity, road force measurements).
  2. Drive the vehicle and accelerate quickly from approximately 30 mph. Do this several times, noting whether the vibration is consistent or inconsistent.

STEPS TO FIX​

If the vibration is not consistent (and only appears during some accelerations), the issue is with driveshaft phasing as described above. There is no fix available for this issue. Some driveshafts may have a lower tendency to plunge in and out, so it is possible that changing out an axle may change the resonance slightly. However, this can be expected to some degree in all vehicles.

What is the current wisdom on "best practices" for preserving these new half shafts (e.g. run suspension in low, drive in chill mode, etc.) ?
Ain't no way I bought any Tesla to "drive in Chill", definitely not a Plaid. 🚀

I'm currently running the N2itive Lowering Links, camber shims, and wheel spacers on aftermarket 20" Martian forged wheels on my 2023 LR X.

Will be getting it aligned shortly as soon as get around to dialing in my preferred ride height and swap the shims (going thicker RED w/ new bolts).

I rarely keep any vehicle off warranty so If anything goes bad before then I'll return to stock and have Tesla replace the problem parts.

Reactions: towndrunk
Ain't no way I bought any Tesla to "drive in Chill", definitely not a Plaid. 🚀

I'm currently running the N2itive Lowering Links, camber shims, and wheel spacers on aftermarket 20" Martian forged wheels on my 2023 LR X.

Will be getting it aligned shortly as soon as get around to dialing in my preferred ride height and swap the shims (going thicker RED w/ new bolts).

I rarely keep any vehicle off warranty so If anything goes bad before then I'll return to stock and have Tesla replace the problem parts.
What spacers are you running?

What spacers are you running?
7075 Forged spacers from 4wheelspacers.com 👍🏻

Currently running 15mm Front and 20mm Rear, but going down to 15mm Rear for a little less tire/rim poke.

It sits slightly outside the fender in Low and I can see it with my side-view mirrors.

On OEM wheels the 20mm would be perfect in the rear, but these wheels are slightly wider at 20x10.5 +40. I’ll be putting the 20mm set up for sale shortly.

Attachments

• IMG_0919.jpeg
    IMG_0919.jpeg
    614.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0920.jpeg
    IMG_0920.jpeg
    645 KB · Views: 4

Currently running 15mm Front and 20mm Rear, but going down to 15mm Rear for a little less tire/rim poke.

It sits slightly outside the fender in Low and I can see it with my side-view mirrors.

On OEM wheels the 20mm would be perfect in the rear, but these wheels are slightly wider at 20x10.5 +40. I’ll be putting the 20mm set up for sale shortly.
Thanks! I had spacers on my 3, but kinda wanting them on my X with stock 20’s for a SLIGHT flush look. Nothing crazy or too aggressive. I was thinking 15mm.

Reactions: NJturtlePower

10% off and free shipping is a pretty good deal.

I want to go square, maybe 20x9.5, with my winter set so I can rotate them.

A 20-25 mm spacer on the rear should be close enough to make it look even. But I feel funny not using longer bolts and spacers w/o studs with my Plaid.

10% off and free shipping is a pretty good deal.

I want to go square, maybe 20x9.5, with my winter set so I can rotate them.

A 20-25 mm spacer on the rear should be close enough to make it look even. But I feel funny not using longer bolts and spacers w/o studs with my Plaid.
Easter Sale is Live! Get 15% OFF | FREE Shipping on Orders over $100 | Use Code EASTER2024 ;)

The chat said 15mm might not fit without pockets. 18mm may work though. I may do 15mm up front an 18mm rear.
Kinda forgot about that detail.... OEM pocket depths. 🤷‍♂️

No issues at all with my aftermarket Martian wheels. Pockets were nearly an inch deep. ✅

Guess I'll find out in the fall when I planned on putting winter rubber on the OEM 20's.