Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failing Brakes - Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He's done 37,000 miles on the original brakes, his rotors are in shocking condition, it's been parked at an airport in winter for a month and when he finds out he needs a couple of new pads he kicks up a fuss for having to pay for them. o_O

And he's now got an extra click from me because of it all. :mad:

No, it's not a common issue (the pad breaking up) and he wants the moon on a stick.

Just because a car doesn't need to use it's brakes much isn't an excuse to not look at them for a year and a half and then complain when they need some maintenance. I think he's just doing it to generate more traffic to his YT account. He does this a lot. I think I'll just ignore him from now on, like he does his brakes. :D

I reckon he mis-heard them at the service centre. They didn't say "It's because of your rims".

They said "It's because you're dim".:p

Last edited:
I reckon he mis-heard them at the service centre. They didn't say "It's because of your rims".

They said "It's because you're dim".:p

+1 - seems he can't read either. The paperwork that he showed didn't say the brake pads needed replacement because of the rims. It said the brake calipers got scratched (purely cosmetic issue) because of the rims.

It is very easy to believe that the rims could scratch the calipers due to poor fit or careless installation. Tesla may have a history of avoiding warranty repairs by blaming aftermarket parts, but in this case I believe Tesla is telling the truth about the cause of the scratched calipers.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Also, just because brakes don’t get used due to regen in everyday driving, doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be cleaned and given a jolly good pasting every now and then to keep them honest.

It’s a rotating/friction combination that will last longer if kept in good order and used hard occasionally.

It is odd how different rules seem to apply to some owners when they are dealing with basic vehicle components that are the same as on every other vehicle.

Iron, steel, carbon-steel and road grime doesn’t change when fairy-dust is the power source .....