Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failure of Traction, Stability, Emergency autobraking, and Cruise Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model X is back from service after ...23 days in the shop. Yes, 23. Parts availability problems. The RR toe angle misalignment was significant (about 1.5 degrees), but too little in my view to cause shutdown of the safety systems by a different wheel speed, which was the theory presented. It would have to be out 8 degrees for a 1% change in wheel speed. A differential in rear tire pressures, which was NOT the case, would have made more difference that this tow error. Replacing the ECU with an upgraded unit fixed the notifications of disabled functions and TACC.

Front axles, half-shafts, and jackshaft were also replaced due to grinding_sound/vibration on full acceleration in Standard height. Many others have noted this problem. Reading the posts, about 1/3 say new parts completely fixed the problem, 1/3 said it made no difference, and 1/3 said it initially fixed the problem but it returned in a few months. So, time will tell. It's completely smooth and quiet now. No pull on acceleration, and no lateral instability: the X drives like it should and tracks straight. As for the shudder, a tech said the extreme angles that can be produced by height changes with the X air suspension make for a challenging design for the constant-speed joints. In later Xs, the front motor was moved forward to reduce the angles. Not a fix for early Xs because the motor mounts cannot be changed.

• Informative
Reactions: Matutino and mspohr
Hi, Ross! Sorry your X was jinXed... and glad they're getting it fiXed. I didn't know about what all things Tesla checked that might have caused the problems, though I once had radar quit, killing TACC. It recovered the next day, and I wondered if there was something on it. Nothing near as exciting as what you've had.

We got our 3 a couple weeks ago and have near a thousand miles on it already, with no problems other than I don't know how to work the screen, which is all the controls. You may pass us sitting on the side of the road looking like trouble, but we're just punching things seeing which will put the air on the window at the right temp, or figuring out which "Lock" function we need to use. It's amazing how easy it is to accidentally touch something else, like seat heat, while trying to touch TACC control.
Hi Rob and Millie.
You are true Teslaratis with an S and now a 3. Interesting comment about the touchscreen. A few hours sitting in the car running through all the menus should help, but I know how frustrating it could be to press the wrong button and be somewhere else in the menus. Good luck on your travels!