Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failure to drive off lot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine was perfect when I took delivery September 19th 2022 and after 5390 miles with one round trip from NJ to Florida it is still perfect except for the dings on the liftgate when it hit my garage door upon opening it in my garage.

Attachments

• Tesla Lift Gate Damage IMG_9287.JPG
    Tesla Lift Gate Damage IMG_9287.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 102
Reactions: laservet
I'd much rather have some internal parts replaced on a Tesla than a traditional ICE vehicle. I've seen quite a few instances where replacing an ICE engine or transmission, the vehicle never really quite drives like new again. However with the electrical components on a Tesla its a much better replacement outcome. I had to have the front motor replaced on our MYP, after about 500 miles (Not a Build issue). You would never know it. Car drives perfectly.

Reactions: richyrich
Sucks to think you have missed out on $7,500 reduction, and 10K suppercharger miles, for something that would have probably been resolved with a simple service visit. Probably just a 12V, all kinds of strange warnings when those things can give off all kinds of unexpected error codes.

IMHO, there's no way I would expect anyone to buy a brand new car that could not even drive off the lot (ICE or EV). So as far as I'm concerned you made the correct decision. As a new buyer, there is no way to know what is wrong with the car, and if they (Service Center) cannot just give you a different car (which is not Tesla's model), I'd leave that defective vehicle right where it sits until they can prove to me that it is fully functional. I'm not sure why folks seem to think you should just take delivery of anything, even if it doesn't currently work.

I would have literally had to walk away given the condition of the car.
Yes, literally. But maybe you could have come back the next day or in a few hours even. You just don't know. I know that I was anxious picking up our car, and I might have done the same as you. But in retrospect I would not have done what you did, knowing what I know now. It's a state of mind thing.

In other words, if I went to trade in my car for a newer one today, and ran into the same situation, I would have let them fix it. But not first time out.

IMHO, there's no way I would expect anyone to buy a brand new car that could not even drive off the lot (ICE or EV). So as far as I'm concerned you made the correct decision. As a new buyer, there is no way to know what is wrong with the car, and if they (Service Center) cannot just give you a different car (which is not Tesla's model), I'd leave that defective vehicle right where it sits until they can prove to me that it is fully functional. I'm not sure why folks seem to think you should just take delivery of anything, even if it doesn't currently work.

For a $7500 discount all you have to lose is time. They give you a loaner and they fix the issue under warranty. If for some reason they can’t fix it, it’s a lemon and they buy it back.
For something that is probably a simple fix, you gave up $7500.

Car will be fixed then most likely sent to auction

Why would it be sent to auction? It was never registered or titled so it can be fixed and sold as new.

I wouldn't doubt it was bought buy a different desperate buy the same day. New car, needs part replaced, we can give you a loaner till its fixed, plus you get 7500 off and 10k supercharge miles....Who the heck wouldn't do that. Situation sucks but given the price/etc someone else got lucky and you made the choice that works for you. Enjoy the Kia or Ford ya buy instead.

It’s merely a car, not art. Approach should be purely cost to benefit. Cost, likely none as they will fix it regardless of who buys it and warranty it accordingly. Benefit, 10K SC miles and 7500 bucks. for most people considering a Y as their primary car, the value of incentives, especially in this case, can not be overcome. Imho, a big mistake. These are not collector cars, rather a nice transport applianc with a built in shelf life.

another way to look at it: after you bought ur perfect MY, I came to u and offered u 7500 bucks and another 1200 bucks of free supercharging for me to use ur car to develope some parts while giving u a rental, all the while I guarantee a perfect running car under warranty upon return. Would you take that deal?

So…. I bought a model Y on December 30th and took delivery on the 31st…. But the car wouldn’t drive off the lot. Once I shifted the car into drive, I started getting warning messages like “electrical system does not support all accessories, system cannot restart, etc.”. Anyone else experience that? The sales guy told me I should schedule a service call (for a call that hadn’t even been driven!) and take a loaner. I refused to take delivery of the lemon, despite assurances that the car would be fixed. WTF. I can see why Tesla has so many disillusioned customers now.

That is simply wrong in taking a delivery of a non drivable car
But many people still support the idea- the $7500 discount gets you in and now must take the delivery regardless of its condition. Tesla will keep doing it as long as people will go for it
How about taking a delivery when the car is fixed and still offer the $7500 discount?

But many people still support the idea- the $7500 discount gets you in and now must take the delivery regardless of its condition. Tesla will keep doing it as long as people will go for it
How about taking a delivery when the car is fixed and still offer the $7500 discount?
It's not like the car had Body damage or had been crashed during transport. It had an electrical / mechanical malfunction. Service center Replaces the malfunctioning part, then the owner drives the car. It's that simple.

The other considerations that I had at the time --
(1) Elon was trying to push as many cars out at year end as possible, so the standard of quality was likely going to be lower
(2) It was the wettest day ever recorded in the bay area and I had a two hour drive each way to the tesla sales center.
(3) I'm not a lawyer, nor do I know much about car warranties. If the car later was found to have a major problem that was not covered by the warrantee, i would be out of luck.

ultimately the problem was likely the 12v battery. It was just hard to know that for certain given the situation (it was pouring rain, and its apparently not easy to access the 12v battery).

Reactions: zoomer0056
I think taking delivery is just making sure the paperwork is complete and they can book it, Tesla honored the discount, promised to fix the issue, and offered a loaner. I suspect this is something simple and the faulty components can be swapped out.

The other considerations that I had at the time --
(1) Elon was trying to push as many cars out at year end as possible, so the standard of quality was likely going to be lower
(2) It was the wettest day ever recorded in the bay area and I had a two hour drive each way to the tesla sales center.
(3) I'm not a lawyer, nor do I know much about car warranties. If the car later was found to have a major problem that was not covered by the warrantee, i would be out of luck.

ultimately the problem was likely the 12v battery. It was just hard to know that for certain given the situation (it was pouring rain, and its apparently not easy to access the 12v battery).
Could have asked them to pull it into the service bay and do a quick check, that could have put your mind at ease at least.