Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Doors, Mirrors not working in cold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's several threads discussing issues with Tesla doors/windows and ice and snow buildup and how to deal with it. All cars will have issues with enough ice on them, and moving parts the most. If you know you will be in conditions where there will be significant moisture and below freezing temps, it's a good idea to disable the folding mirrors, and preheat the car before getting ready to go. For me the biggest issue is with the front doors, the windows can freeze which prevents the 1/4 inch drop necessary for functioning, however I found an easy fix: you can slip a card along the glass and down the seal to brake the ice and then it should work fine.

For the FWD, preheating usually is enough, but check to be sure there's no ice on the sensors.

We had an issue where the FWD wouldn't close when it got cold - thought it was the latch but I guess it's a sensor thing. Service center addressed it
Could you explain how they fixed it? Our X is in service now; this morning one FWD was stuck "closed" (down but failed to latch), front door also failed to close. We were late for school so I drove them carefully, and after driving 15 minutes, *both* FWD were stuck closed. Outside temp of 12 F. I could reach the 4yo to unbuckle him and had him squeeze past the driver seat. I had to crawl through the trunk to get my 1yo out. Thank goodness we have the 6 seater and I could pass her through.

That's super frustrating, could be caused by weather conditions. With enough cold and moisture things can freeze up. In my case the door would unlatch but didn't want to lift, and I was able to actually pull the door open and up manually and that cleared the ice and it was able to work then. Now I always preheat if it's really cold out. I would have expected it to work after a drive though.