Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Heavy - 7&8 Reuse - Elon's Roadster Demo - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious what they have to do to get permission to fly a drone in that area. The whole island or archipelago or whatever is marked as a hell-no-fly zone by the FAA.
While the area is considered Restricted airspace, air traffic control can temporarily waive the restriction for a flyover. Getting permission for a SpaceX drone is likely even easier.
Reminds me of a funny flight/airspace story I experienced in the 90's. We were flying down the Potomac for a visual approach to runway 15 at National. After taxiing to the gate, a uniformed military officer sticks his head in the cockpit to admonish us that we had just flown over the Pentagon. He declared that it was Prohibited airspace and we were in trouble! I advised him of ATC's expectations of this routine approach procedure and also that the airspace over the Pentagon was not Prohibited. He deplaned unconvinced. Oh well.

Didn't think it was impossible, they obviously did it. I suspect they have a much easier time obtaining permission to fly the drone than I would, but there is an Air Force Base there in addition to the fact that it's a rocket launch facility, so obtaining permission might be a little more involved than it would be elsewhere. Still, it is restricted area.
Prohibited areas protect the most sensitive areas in the United States, such as the White House and Camp David. Permission from the using agency (such as the Secret Service) is required to enter a Prohibited Area and is almost never available.

Restricted areas are typically located around military installations or other areas where flight could be hazardous. Permission from the controlling agency (air traffic control) is required to enter these areas and is often not available.
Anyway I'm banging on a bit, I'm really just curious what they have to do. I don't expect I would be able to get permission, myself.

While the area is considered Restricted airspace, air traffic control can temporarily waive the restriction for a flyover. Getting permission for a SpaceX drone is likely even easier.
Reminds me of a funny flight/airspace story I experienced in the 90's. We were flying down the Potomac for a visual approach to runway 15 at National. After taxiing to the gate, a uniformed military officer sticks his head in the cockpit to admonish us that we had just flown over the Pentagon. He declared that it was Prohibited airspace and we were in trouble! I advised him of ATC's expectations of this routine approach procedure and also that the airspace over the Pentagon was not Prohibited. He deplaned unconvinced. Oh well.
And that is why he was riding in the back.
Robin

Twitter user @Luindriel posted a photo of the FH horizontal on the TEL being moved towards the launch pad. See Twitter

6ECA446F-B040-4273-AB5D-E30272BEDCB4.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal and mongo
Wonder if they could put a little bit of John Young on board. Probably too late to make any payload changes, but it would be kind of cool to give him a Roadster ride to Mars orbit. It would also give him a seat on the 3rd first-flight of new hardware (Gemini and Shuttle previously). Hell of an astronaut.

Reactions: Nikxice
It's getting close. Here is the latest update and very likely to change:

Launch Date: NET January 15th, Monday, Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Launch window: 10 am EST
Launch site: LC-39A, Kennedy Space Center, Florida
Landing type: RTLS for Side Boosters, ASDS for Center Core
Static Fire: 1pm to 7pm EST on January 10th, Wednesday

It's getting close. Here is the latest update and very likely to change:

Launch Date: NET January 15th, Monday, Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Launch window: 10 am EST
Launch site: LC-39A, Kennedy Space Center, Florida
Landing type: RTLS for Side Boosters, ASDS for Center Core
Static Fire: 1pm to 7pm EST on January 10th, Wednesday

Logistical question for our travel: isn't the 15th the original window start from late November before the static fire / Zuma timing slip? KSC is reporting NET Jan 25.
If it really could be Monday, we need to start packing....