Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Heavy Flight #2 - Arabsat 6A - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do you think that? Fueling time is well known, though there are 3 times the bits to go wrong. The static fire and previous launch give accurate timelines.

Just instincts. Nothing specific but this is a brand new rocket compared to the last FH. This will be an all Block 5 Falcon Heavy compared to the Block 2 and Block 3 version from the last launch. Certainly the company knows a whole lot more because they did successfully launch the last one but in many ways this will be almost as new a situation.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
Why do you think that? Fueling time is well known, though there are 3 times the bits to go wrong. The static fire and previous launch give accurate timelines.

I tend to agree—it’s more complex for sure, but I don’t think theres inherently more risk with sequencing/timing. That said, I agree with @Grendal too—beyond weather, being only the second FH launch there’s bound to be elements in the countdown that aren’t as well quantified as a F9, and having a little bit of cushion to resolve a minor anomaly [instead of aborting] is certainly a good thing.

Windows (or not) are basically an exclusive function of orbit, and more specifically the mechanics of getting into that orbit. LEOs and especially sun synch leos have little or no wiggle room on time of launch. Higher orbits and especially GTOs are much more forgiving.

I tend to agree—it’s more complex for sure, but I don’t think theres inherently more risk with sequencing/timing. That said, I agree with @Grendal too—beyond weather, being only the second FH launch there’s bound to be elements in the countdown that aren’t as well quantified as a F9, and having a little bit of cushion to resolve a minor anomaly [instead of aborting] is certainly a good thing.

Windows (or not) are basically an exclusive function of orbit, and more specifically the mechanics of getting into that orbit. LEOs and especially sun synch leos have little or no wiggle room on time of launch. Higher orbits and especially GTOs are much more forgiving.
First Heavy launch went to the end of the window due to high altitude winds, so yah bigger is better!:)

Chris makes a good point: Chris B - NSF on Twitter

FH is lining up for a static fire on April 1st! Three times the rocket, three times the fun!

D2rKziPWwAIw1Yk.jpg

Great timing on the launch window (6:36-8:35 p.m. EDT). Prime time in the east early on a Sunday evening should attract a good deal of attention. Sunset on 4/7 at the Cape shows 7:44 p.m. EDT. Assuming it doesn't launch on the late side, the low sun angle from behind cameras trained on FH/landing zones should provide some spectacular shots.

First time viewing a launch. Feel The Heat secured. Driving down from the Philly area. Hope the weather holds, as earlier long range forecast was calling for scattered thunderstorms.

Bummed to read the pad is occluded from the FTH viewing area. Doubt the 200mm zoom lens I'm bringing is powerful enough at 4 miles, but should be okay a few seconds after ignition.

Since the LZ is 11 miles away, does anyone know what if anything of the landing is visible? Google maps show the Vehicle Assembly Building directly in the line of sight. :(

Reactions: Seven7
First time viewing a launch. Feel The Heat secured. Driving down from the Philly area. Hope the weather holds, as earlier long range forecast was calling for scattered thunderstorms.

Bummed to read the pad is occluded from the FTH viewing area. Doubt the 200mm zoom lens I'm bringing is powerful enough at 4 miles, but should be okay a few seconds after ignition.

Since the LZ is 11 miles away, does anyone know what if anything of the landing is visible? Google maps show the Vehicle Assembly Building directly in the line of sight. :(

Tower does block FH view until launch...

Landing is visible off the to the right. The left (non main bleachers) may give a better view due to not looking over everyone. If you get a spot on the grass to the left by the fence, that might be the best angle.

Reactions: Joe F
There are early murmurings that the launch could slip to the 9th.

Just a heads up for the hordes of folk flying in/booking hotels for Falcon Heavy, it could slip a few days. I prefer the Eastern Range dates (official), but it's worth the "heads up" tweet. Most of you know rockets can shuffle around on their launch dates by now.
1f680.png

Chris B - NSF on Twitter

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW
Bummed to read the pad is occluded from the FTH viewing area.

That was huge disappointment for me viewing from FTH area for FH-1 launch. Huge disappointment. The viewing angle is such that the structure completely obstructs the rocket - all three boosters are not visible. So when the rocket launches and clears the tower, that is when you get to see your first sighting, and that too you only see one booster because of it is orientation relative to the FTH viewing area. After 20 seconds in the air, the FH system rotates and then you see all the three boosters. But by that time it several miles higher and further.

I saw the videos from other locations and they were awesome. The good thing is, we were fed nicely and Bill Nye was there and gave a great speech.