Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Heavy Flight #2 - Arabsat 6A - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m ready, Are you?

11DE1DBE-6256-41EA-B8D7-13CA56222D8E.jpeg

From the reddit discussion: “Remember wind shear is not wind speed. It's the difference in wind speed between the top and bottom of the rocket. What that difference does is turn the rocket. The rocket corrects with an opposing torque by vectoring its engines.”
———————————————————————————————————

My mental circuit breakers trip when I try to envision how rapidly that engine vectoring has to occur to be effective given that the rocket is moving at thousands of km/h.

• Funny
Reactions: nwdiver and e-FTW
From the reddit discussion: “Remember wind shear is not wind speed. It's the difference in wind speed between the top and bottom of the rocket. What that difference does is turn the rocket. The rocket corrects with an opposing torque by vectoring its engines.”
———————————————————————————————————

My mental circuit breakers trip when I try to envision how rapidly that engine vectoring has to occur to be effective given that the rocket is moving at thousands of km/h.

Forward velocity amplifies the effect of an angular trajectory error. The amount of error that needs corrected is based on the rotational inertia and the disturbing force. The needed rate of correction depends on the allowable track deviation and the maximum disturbing rotation. So it may not be as brain breaking as you are imagining.

Landing the booster may be more difficult due to tighter positional requirements and less inertia to reduce disturbance effects.