Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Heavy Flight #2 - Arabsat 6A - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
waiting.jpg

Pushed another 4 hours now (HK time).

Last edited:
Yes, quite informative! I recommend reading all of the “green” posts after your get past the Shuttle discussion. Including the one from Tory Bruno from ULA.

The tl;dr post for me was this one:
Remember wind shear is not wind speed. It's the difference in wind speed between the top and bottom of the rocket.

What that difference does is turn the rocket. The rocket corrects with an opposing torque by vectoring its engines.

However, in the brief time before this correction is accomplished, the rocket is flying slightly sideways.

Around max-Q, the pressure of the wind on the rocket is very significant. ISTR (someone correct me!) for a Falcon 9 it's around 1 atmosphere, or 14 psi.

A large rocket times a very small angle is a lot of square inches and many tons of additional aerodynamic pressure. Also, there's the torque from the engines that needs to be transmitted along the body of the rocket.

These are additional wonky loads on a rocket structure that's aggressively optimized for weight.

The solution is to either make the rocket stiffer (more weight, boo!), or limit launches to days of low wind shear.