Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon wing door buckled on glass roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had the FWD touch the top glass when opened. One sees a strange line running front to back near the top glass outside edge, and it took me a while to figure out what was causing it. I had both FWD adjusted to stop the touching.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
Wow! I am both surprised and shocked by this story. As an owner of both an S & an X, this is not what I want to hear. Of course, it is only right to share your experience. While not wanting to appear unsympathetic, I can happily report That I have no such issues with mine. But, since it is only two years old (almost), even though I have more miles on mine than you have on yours.
Perhaps I am just luckier than most owners, but I know quite a few others, and this is the first we have heard of this issue.
I hope you can successfully resolve it and Tesla will stand behind their warranty. Good luck to you.

Has anybody had the falcon wings doors open up together and pinch the center piece? I purchased the car two days ago and yesterday I went to open up the doors to show off and the doors both opened at the same time I heard a cracking didn't think anything of it walked over to the door and noticed it had lifted up and cracked the glass in the passenger falcon wing door roof. Car has over 52,000 miles and is a 2016. Spoke to the mobile Tesla repair guy he said it may or may not be covered under warranty from the centerpiece glue lifting up. Has anybody else experienced this issue?
My 2016 Model X also has over 50,000 miles, and I have never gad this problem.

My Jan 2016 X, at 53k does not have this problem but I do have a crack in the black plastic behind the driver’s side front windshield and the falcon door. I just noticed it yesterday but there is no separation only the crack. I quiet regularly open both falcons at the sane time and there are no cracks in the windows.
If you bought it from Tesla, it should be covered under theIr used car warranty. (The 4 year factory warranty probably already expired.) If you bought it elsewhere, take it back to them and tell them they need to replace the glass.

Has anybody had the falcon wings doors open up together and pinch the center piece? I purchased the car two days ago and yesterday I went to open up the doors to show off and the doors both opened at the same time I heard a cracking didn't think anything of it walked over to the door and noticed it had lifted up and cracked the glass in the passenger falcon wing door roof. Car has over 52,000 miles and is a 2016. Spoke to the mobile Tesla repair guy he said it may or may not be covered under warranty from the centerpiece glue lifting up. Has anybody else experienced this issue?
Yes, I had a 2016 Model X that cracked the center glass and falcon door when I dropped friends at the airport and raised the doors in 2018. I drove it to the Tesla service center and was told it happened with some of the earlier models. He checked the VIN and mine was one of the earlier 2016 models.

They fixed it under warranty. No hassle.

JB Weld can fix the center panel adhesive issue, but Tesla needs to fix that glass. Return the car if they play games, the SC guys seem to get bonuses not to pay any warranty claims these days.
I hired a gentleman that does glass repair as the adhesive used was the same as what is used for windshields. Needless to say Tesla did not want to cover it due to miles and age. Also the spine cracked during the entire ordeal.

My Jan 2016 X, at 53k does not have this problem but I do have a crack in the black plastic behind the driver’s side front windshield and the falcon door. I just noticed it yesterday but there is no separation only the crack. I quiet regularly open both falcons at the sane time and there are no cracks in the windows.
If you bought it from Tesla, it should be covered under theIr used car warranty. (The 4 year factory warranty probably already expired.) If you bought it elsewhere, take it back to them and tell them they need to replace the glass.
Purchased from a friend.

A couple photos of my situation (posted originally a June 17).
The center piece has since flew off on the highway.
I'm a few months past 4 years and 2,000 miles past 50k. Anyone have thoughts on if this is still warranty?

Attachments

• IMG_1369.jpg
    IMG_1369.jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_1330.jpg
    IMG_1330.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 167