Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing Door Concerns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello - a newbie here, potentially considering MXP. I have been reading several posts and videos about problems with falcon wing door. I am curious if this is a pervasive issue among owners? I am worried about sensors not working and bashing into another parked car or garage wall. I can also see myself opening my garage door while the falcon wing doors are open bashing into them... While it looks pretty cool, I would be 100% happy with a regular door :D

hello - a newbie here, potentially considering MXP. I have been reading several posts and videos about problems with falcon wing door. I am curious if this is a pervasive issue among owners? I am worried about sensors not working and bashing into another parked car or garage wall. I can also see myself opening my garage door while the falcon wing doors are open bashing into them... While it looks pretty cool, I would be 100% happy with a regular door :D

I've owned a Model X for little over a year. I've never had the FWDs run into anything personally.

While nobody can guarantee your particular vehicle won't have problems, I think that sensor issues of the kind you're describing are less common than you'd think by reading forum posts and watching videos. When people have problems, that's when they tend to post or whatever. You don't hear much from the owners who have no issues whatsoever.

The two complaints I have with the FWDs are: 1) they're slow to open or close, compared to a normal car door, and 2) they're attention-grabbing (not always what you want). I asked a few Model X owners here privately for their thoughts before pulling the trigger on my purchase and these were common themes.

Bruce.

I've owned a Model X for little over a year. I've never had the FWDs run into anything personally.

While nobody can guarantee your particular vehicle won't have problems, I think that sensor issues of the kind you're describing are less common than you'd think by reading forum posts and watching videos. When people have problems, that's when they tend to post or whatever. You don't hear much from the owners who have no issues whatsoever.

The two complaints I have with the FWDs are: 1) they're slow to open or close, compared to a normal car door, and 2) they're attention-grabbing (not always what you want). I asked a few Model X owners here privately for their thoughts before pulling the trigger on my purchase and these were common themes.

Bruce.

Also, kids love FWD's!

Reactions: dmk712
We had our previous Model X for 6.5 years, and are on our second one now. We have two kids, so we use the FWDs all the time. We've had a single time where it almost hit something, but that was a thin pipe in the ceiling in a car park, that was apparently just in-between some of the sensors. Outside of that one time we haven't had a single incident of it hitting or nearly hitting something.

We've had incidents where the sensors thought they detected something on the outside though and didn't automatically open fully, but that's easily fixable by just holding in the button.

Reactions: henderrj
The 2023 MX seems to have tons of issues with the door sensors. The front doors have motors but won't open on their own (because Tesla removed the sensors without having another system in place), and the FWDs are far more problematic recently. My MX is a lemon and ALL of the doors misbehave. The driver's door has opened into objects many times, but from what I've read, Tesla has completely disabled the front doors from opening now, so I guess that is "fixed"?

Reactions: Kristoffer Helle
Our old model X don't have any door problems. 130.000km and those doors goes up and down 15-20 times every day. Often more.
Our new model x is a different monster. Big gaps. So bad the sealing looks older on the new car compared to the old.
The automatic front door sucks. They switched to the same fob system the model 3 using. It's laughable how bad it is comparable to the older X.
Don't buy the refresh X. Before they switch the fob system etc. It's trash..

I have a new X and have MAJOR problems with falcon doors. They open inconsistently and sometimes not at all, for no obvious reason. It’s been “fixed” 3 times and today, neither door would open no matter where I parked.
i’ve owned an S for 11 years and my new X is a total lemon. Biggest regret. Don’t buy it!

• Disagree
Reactions: John in LB
I have a new X and have MAJOR problems with falcon doors. They open inconsistently and sometimes not at all, for no obvious reason. It’s been “fixed” 3 times and today, neither door would open no matter where I parked.
i’ve owned an S for 11 years and my new X is a total lemon. Biggest regret. Don’t buy it!
Sorry to hear that. My X FWD have been great. No issues, opens and closes great and does a really good job in the garage of opening just enough to allow access in or out but not hit the garage door or ceiling storage racks.

Sounds like mine. Maybe yours will develop the additional feature of randomly opening while the car is parked along with the other doors.

Sorry to hear that. My X FWD have been great. No issues, opens and closes great and does a really good job in the garage of opening just enough to allow access in or out but not hit the garage door or ceiling storage racks.
same here, my new X FWD are perfect and operate without ANY issues. They open as intended and stop short of objects when detected. Mine is set to open fully in my garage and does so perfectly. They even detect the garage rails when I tend to park off center in the garage and stops the driver FWD from opening fully s the garage rail is closer. We open both FWD's 5-10 times daily and no issues to date (knock on wood).

mine is the same! replaced sensor doesnt help, i have 8 SC visits in 3 months..

My 23 MXP had issue with FWD driver side where it will not closed all the way 1 out of 5 times on the first month of owning the vehicle. After some looking around, I did the calibration for the FWD that many people suggested. Once I did the calibration, I have not seen the issue any longer. The FWD is now closing and opening properly at 100% of the time.

My 23 MXP had issue with FWD driver side where it will not closed all the way 1 out of 5 times on the first month of owning the vehicle. After some looking around, I did the calibration for the FWD that many people suggested. Once I did the calibration, I have not seen the issue any longer. The FWD is now closing and opening properly at 100% of the time.
Ah Nice. Wonder if that would solve most peoples issues.

We had a 2017 X for 6 years. The falcon wing doors weren't what we would have picked at the time if we had a choice, but they worked great - they never ran in to anything the whole time we had the car, and we used them a lot.

In fact my wife appreciated how easy they made it to get grandkids in and out of the car while being mostly under cover, so when we went to replace the car the only thing she would consider was another Model X. We now have a 2023. We haven't had it long, but no issues with its doors either.