TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Falcon Wing Doors Pop Out (Caught on Camera)

Discussion in 'Model X' started by K-MTG, Jul 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Experienced a strange behavior with the Model X Falcon Wing Door for the first time as I was unloading groceries from the trunk. I am not sure what caused this to happen. The key was a few feet away from the car and nobody was inside.

I was able to close the doors without an issue when I returned to the car.

Anyone experienced something similar?

• Informative x 2
    • Love x 1
  2. dark

dark Member

Ghost

• Funny x 5
  3. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

There have been a few reports of the FWDs opening spontaneously on here. I'd open a case with your service center and share the video and timestamp. It will aid in their analysis.

• Like x 1
  4. K-MTG

#4 K-MTG, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    The strange thing is that they are 3 different stages in the process. First the door opens, it stops, it opens a bit more, it stops, it moves a bit, it beeps and stops.

The door only makes the beep noise when someone closes it, but clearly that is not the case from the video.

I also just recently updated to 17.26.17 & my car had a low state of battery range (40 miles). It occurred at 8:05:56 (PST) on July 9th if anyone from Tesla is watching. You know my VIN already :)

• Informative x 1
  5. outie

outie Active Member

And the other key?

Sounds like the FWD button was pressed causing it to open, then it was pressed again causing it to pause, then it was pressed again to open, etc.

6. K-MTG

Unlikely, the key was outside of the car and nobody was using it.

Very unlikely that a button could have been pressed 6 times consecutively inadvertently.

And I only use one key, the other one is still packed in the original box

• Informative x 1
  7. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

I have an S, but I had the hatch open on me when I was moving some stuff out of the garage with the key in my pocket. I loaded some stuff on a dolly and went around the house, when I got back the hatch was open. It only happened once and I chalked it up to the button getting bumped twice while I was moving stuff. If it takes six hits of the button to open the falcon wing doors that would be a lot of an inadvertent hit.

8. LimoX

LimoX Member

Irrefutable evidence that it's possessed

• Like x 1
  9. jnt76

jnt76 Member

On a tangent, are you going to use the other key? My kids were playing with my spare thinking it's a toy and it is forever lost. They are expensive to replace!

10. K-MTG

I only use one key for all of my cars, the other is considered to be a spare

11. chilman408

chilman408 Member

That's interesting but from the video. It doesn't look like it "popped" out.... Looks more like the actuators opened and then stopped (IMO)

12. gearchruncher

gearchruncher Member

The keys are only $100. Not free, but not that expensive, especially for the custom, complex key that they are.

• Informative x 1
  13. yli319

yli319 Member

i finally found this post, i saw this post before this happened to me twice,
    i have ap2 x, and just updated to 17.28.c528869 last week, then it happened.

first time is around two days after updated, i parked on a walmart store, but i forgot bring something for refund, then i went back to the vehicle, i found my left FWD is popup little gap, not closed fully, didnt think too much, just triple click then it closed.

second time which is today, july 24 afternoon, same, when i back to vehicle, left FWD was opened with gap.
    i didnt take the photo, because i know some people will say it must be detected something or key was pressed. (i never use key fob to lock car, because it locked itself automatically when key not detect)

im finding this post because i remember someone posted same issue, and it caught by camera, its a real issue.

14. Mrcook4590

Mrcook4590 Member

OP - Your car certainly has personality! Aren't you the one whose X had a lovey it tried to drag out of the garage one day?

(And, no, I have not experienced this.)