Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing Doors, self cleaning interior?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
F

Faiz71

Today we've experienced a totally new and hidden feature of our Model X. The "self cleaning interior Falcon Wing Doors. After a rain shower I opened one of the Falcon Wing Doors and was treated with a decent amount of water pouring down on the back seat. We are now giving our passengers an umbrella in case it rains.

Is this a common problem (design fault) or an incident that can be solved?
IMG_3952.JPG
IMG_3953.JPG

Hm... I remember one of the first X YouTube posts I ever saw was about the ability to stop the FWDs half way up to serve as an umbrella in the rain. I wonder if that’s an idea until the water evaporates/runs off? Would the decreased angle help the water run more onto the roof?

I agree it would be a good idea for the door to open over a gutter so running water wouldn’t run inside in any case....

Reactions: Sambas and Faiz71
@boaterva Thanks for pointing us in the right direction. I have googled regarding this issue, and it is possible to open the doors halfway. We have to check the manual how to set this up.
Looks like some kind of beginners mistake ;) (last week we got this car, and it is amazing! and full of surprises :) )

Reactions: boaterva
I had this problem. Your seal should have a channel to divert the water down the B and C pillars. The channel is likely crushed together so the water just rolls over it onto the seats. Take it to the service center and they'll replace the seals under warranty.
Thanks for that, I’ll need to check this (and do a demo, lol) on my car. I knew Tesla would have thought of this....

Reactions: Faiz71
Short update: Just called the service center, and they are going to order some stuff to fix this issue. Perhaps they can align the left FWD a tiny bit, as the lower right side is not completely free from the roof when the door is fully opened.
On the second picture you can see the rubber sealing of the left door is a getting bit squeezed between the door and the roof.
IMG_3964.jpg
IMG_3965.jpg

I live in Washington State and my daughter was in her car-seat and when I opened the fwd, she took a cold shower. The X was sitting in the rain for a bit so there was some rain that settled on top of the car.
Thanks for the tip. I'll be calling the SC to get an appointment.

Reactions: Faiz71