Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falling Canadian Dollar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since beginning of Nov. 2014 the Canuck $ started to loose value against the US$ every day. So, anybody following this surely would conclude that prices would be adjusted sooner or later. Really no surprise. Tesla adjusted pricing at about 5% upwards, way below the CAD $ fall of over 12% since November 2014.

Since beginning of Nov. 2014 the Canuck $ started to loose value against the US$ every day. So, anybody following this surely would conclude that prices would be adjusted sooner or later. Really no surprise. Tesla adjusted pricing at about 5% upwards, way below the CAD $ fall of over 12% since November 2014.

Still hurts though. Can't imagine what this will mean in a few years for Model 3 pricing... My original figure of $50K for a decent Model 3 with a larger battery and options is now going to be pushing $55 to 60K. That makes for an expensive car and could very well push me into used a used Model S85 by that time.

- - - Updated - - -

Guys for what it's worth they have 3 P85Ds available in inventory to sell at old prices, (for now).
2 black ones in Montreal that can be shipped and a white one in Toronto.
You should jump on them if you're interested.

There's a beautiful white P85 in the Yorkdale showroom I'm sure someone could buy at the older price. I have no clue what they have for test drives though...

I think this move in CAD/USD is largely due to the price of oil. I think it's overdone and we'll likely see the price of oil rise and the CAD with it. No guesses on price levels or time frames however. I wouldn't worry about the price of your Model 3 just yet, I would however about the price on a Model X...

What I am saying doesn't make sense, or at least what would surprise me, would be a $30k difference between the P85D and a Model X. No I didn't get the 21" but I did get the winter 19" tires. I believe the delta is $3200.
I think there is a misunderstand Wayner, I was not saying that my model X will cost $30K more. What I was saying is that if the Model X lists for the same price as the Model S. that price, for the option chosen, is now $160,520 + tax or $181,387.60 before Ontario incentive which may not be available in 2016.

I have an idea . what about we all get together and write a letter to elon musk and offer us, immediate potential buyers, to buy a new tesla with the options we want at the old price. Tesla should have given some warning of the upcoming price increase. This would be an incredible opportunity to the industry that tesla is different and much better. We cannot waste much time! Let's act now! I am ready to commit to a purchase now for delivery early April. I don't want my new tesla in the snow or dirty streets full of rocks ! Calgary is really bad. I sure hope tesla will read this.. Call me tesla!

- - - Updated

Now with the price increase! for 145k, you don't get the premium interior, and the 21inch rims. Sad!

Did anyone from Tesla contact you about your offer to buy at the old price?

I feel for all those on here who were caught in the price increase for Canadians. It was an inevitability that Tesla had to address since they do not control the currency markets. I hope your mass-email to the company can somehow get you a small reduction from current prices or (better yet) the older prices. Maybe they can round up some inventory "production blackhole" vehicles that were produced and cancelled (first orders after the P85D first came out) and give them to you all for the old price? You should ask about these, since there were a few cancellations if you read the "P85D delivery tracking" thread. Good luck.

I feel for all those on here who were caught in the price increase for Canadians. It was an inevitability that Tesla had to address since they do not control the currency markets. I hope your mass-email to the company can somehow get you a small reduction from current prices or (better yet) the older prices. Maybe they can round up some inventory "production blackhole" vehicles that were produced and cancelled (first orders after the P85D first came out) and give them to you all for the old price? You should ask about these, since there were a few cancellations if you read the "P85D delivery tracking" thread. Good luck.

I was offered an inventory car at old price that had also had 1% off because it was a showroom car. I said no thanks as It did not match my configuration and there is no way I would accept a showroom car especially for 1% off.

Did anyone from Tesla contact you about your offer to buy at the old price?

No, not at all. I called and I was offered a few cars that they have in inventory, the discount isn't all that great Btw. Minus the 21 inch rims I can get a fairly well equipped car 2015 made just for me for 143k. They have in Toronto a used, with super low km fir 140500. But it has the 21... But the wrong color.. So. If I am going to spend that kind of cash, may as well buy what I want.

Last edited:
No, not at all. I called and I was offered a few cars that they have in inventory, the discount isn't all that great Btw. Minus the 21 inch rims I can get a fairly well equipped car 2015 made just for me for 143k. They have in Toronto a used, with super low km fir 140500. But it has the 21... But the wrong color.. So. If I am going to spend that kind of cash, may as well buy what I want.

On the bright side, you don't have a 7% PST (that is increased to a "luxury" tax of 10% based on that price) as we do in BC. That car would cost you an additional $14,300 in BC.

Anyone thinking Tesla should be giving Canadians a discount because of our crappy dollar, THEY ALREADY ARE!!

P85D with my chosen specs on Canadian order is $139,470 CDN. Exactly same spec on US order page is $121,970 USD.

$121,970 USD on XE conversion today is $155,292 CDN.

You are purchasing a car for a $15,822 CDN discount to an American customer.

I'm surprised American buyers aren't fuming that Tesla is dumping cars in Canada.

You should order your Tesla before the next price increase, or wait for the CDN $ to come back.

It is not Tesla's responsibility to announce price increases based on currency. Why should they take such a loss on something out of their control?

Anyone thinking Tesla should be giving Canadians a discount because of our crappy dollar, THEY ALREADY ARE!!

P85D with my chosen specs on Canadian order is $139,470 CDN. Exactly same spec on US order page is $121,970 USD.

I'm surprised American buyers aren't fuming that Tesla is dumping cars in Canada.

You should order your Tesla before the next price increase, or wait for the CDN $ to come back.

It is not Tesla's responsibility to announce price increases based on currency. Why should they take such a loss on something out of their control?

I have no problem with Tesla taking a price increase but going up immediately with no advance warning is poor customer service for those of us that invested time and effort to test drive the car and were two days away from purchase.

I respect your your answer and it does makes sense, however why not publish to potential clents of a model s a warming of an upcoming price increase. they did it in the past. Now the poor guy that was shopping for a tesla has to shell out 6-9k more for the same thing. Really, is show poor customer service. If I were a a sales person at tesla, I would have jumped on the phone and call all my clients and warn them of a significant price increase. Believe me a lot of people such as myself would have jumped at the opportunity.

- - - Updated - - -

I have no problem with Tesla taking a price increase but going up immediately with no advance warning is poor customer service for those of us that invested time and effort to test drive the car and were two days away from purchase.

Exactly..