Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

False Advertising - 2014 S60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Specs - ‘14 Model S 60 / 54K miles

Issue - Car charges to 172 miles at max. setting

Question - Where did the 36 miles go? 208-172=36

17% battery degradation? I can understand ~5% ...for a max charge @ ~195

Tesla tells me “It charges based on your habits...it’s a really smart car”. Really? Does the car know I’d like to take a trip with it and I require as much pack as possible?

Can someone explain why I am not getting what I paid for ?

Thank you
If Tesla keeps being unhelpful and you have some sort of documents about the battery health at purchase, then I suggest you spend your own energy at the AG's site: Illinois Attorney General - Protecting Consumers

Posting complaints here is just going to get the stockholders all in a tizzy. They'll eventually tell you stuff like their Xbox controller doesn't hold charge for as long as it used to or something.

If Tesla keeps being unhelpful and you have some sort of documents about the battery health at purchase, then I suggest you spend your own energy at the AG's site: Illinois Attorney General - Protecting Consumers

Posting complaints here is just going to get the stockholders all in a tizzy. They'll eventually tell you stuff like their Xbox controller doesn't hold charge for as long as it used to or something.
Thank you for a post with levity. I think the TSLA owners forget....we Tesla owners very much want this company to do well. We are driving their products....and they are NOT cheap! I am picking up on the vibe in this forum "...all is good ....nothing to see here....any who complain are just stupid and haters of Tesla."

I think its obvious that the conflicting information from this board and Tesla themselves is a symptom of a problem the company needs to solve for. I really hope they do....I do love the car...just missing 20 miles from it. :(

How long have you owned it, how many miles have you put on it, and what did it charge to when you purchased it?
2 months and it only charged to about 170 from when I got it. However I was told by Tesla the car is good health (including the battery)....you have to let the pack learn your driving patterns (I should have known then what I was in for).

I would try calling the 800 number and asking them to look at it remotely. My guess the service center didn't actually do anything and just looked to see if there were any error codes.
I think you are right. The SC seems staffed with people better suited to work at an Apple store vs. a proper mechanic working on a sophisticated piece of machinery.

PS ...I caught the service manager in a blatant lie and I have pics / texts to prove it. This SC location has to get their act together...people buying $90K cars are not very forgiving when they receive bad service. However it was nice of them to knock of $100.00 from the break job (front pads + rotors) that took them 3 days (with an appointment). Midas can do that work in 3 hours or less.

However I was told by Tesla the car is good health (including the battery)....you have to let the pack learn your driving patterns (I should have known then what I was in for).
Well, I think you may have unfortunately run into an unhelpful or unknowledgeable service person, which isn't unusual. This blowing off of people's worries about range is unfortunately reinforced by two things:
(1) Actual module failure, which is a real thing, is very very rare, so that tech may not have encountered it to believe it has really happened to that person.

(2) But the flip side is that they probably hear several times PER DAY from brand new owners completely flipping their everlovin' minds that their cars have LOST RANGE because it shows 2 less miles on the display than it did last month, and ohmygodtheskyisfalling!!!1!1

So they do get kind of overly conditioned to just tell everyone to calm down because most of them usually are worrying about nothing, and you do have to push to get them to actually run a diagnostic on the battery to show that you really may be the 1 in thousands of bogus "range loss" worriers who actually does have a problem.

And any tech who tells you the rated miles number in that display is a constantly evolving thing that is based on your past driving habits and history is just wrong. Sorry, but I don't know why some of them say that.

Last edited:
Reactions: TexasEV
you have to let the pack learn your driving patterns (I should have known then what I was in for).

This part is complete BS and it astounds me how many people both on this forum and within Tesla repeat it. It's just not true. Rated miles are exactly that - EPA rated miles based on the calculated usable capacity of the pack divided by a constant. Your driving habits do absolutely nothing to change it. The only thing I've seen is very slight variation in reported capacity based on average temperature over some extended period (ie many people observe their rated miles dropping slightly in the winter due to many charge cycles where the average temp of the battery is colder than usual and the BMS sees a reduced capacity).

The observed degradation of your pack is certainly high compared to the aggregate experience of the fleet. That doesn't mean the car is not in "good health" or that there is anything "wrong" with the battery.

I understand your frustration but in three pages of this and a week of discussion it's been very difficult to extract answers to some basic questions regarding your purchase and ownership experience with the car. However, if you knew the car only charged to 170 miles when you signed the purchase agreement and still went through with the deal despite "needing" a pack that charged to 200+, I'm just not sure what combination of information would have led you to believe that was going to be possible.

In an effort to be helpful:

Does your car have Supercharging enabled, and are you near a supercharger? If so, run your car down to a lower state of charge (say under 25%) and attempt to supercharge it in an unpaired stall (supercharger stalls are labeled in pairs, ie 1a/1b, 2a/2b, etc - start a charge at a unit that does not have someone in the other paired stall).

What is the maximum charge rate you observe during the session (the "kW" number displayed while supercharging, not the "miles/hr" rating which is an average of the entire session and not useful)? One symptom of actual battery issues (vs "normal" degradation") is slow supercharging speeds. If your max supercharging rate is significantly lower than expected, that could point to a battery module issue and a warranty claim.

• Helpful
Reactions: alcibiades
This part is complete BS and it astounds me how many people both on this forum and within Tesla repeat it. It's just not true. Rated miles are exactly that - EPA rated miles based on the calculated usable capacity of the pack divided by a constant. Your driving habits do absolutely nothing to change it. The only thing I've seen is very slight variation in reported capacity based on average temperature over some extended period (ie many people observe their rated miles dropping slightly in the winter due to many charge cycles where the average temp of the battery is colder than usual and the BMS sees a reduced capacity).

The observed degradation of your pack is certainly high compared to the aggregate experience of the fleet. That doesn't mean the car is not in "good health" or that there is anything "wrong" with the battery.

I understand your frustration but in three pages of this and a week of discussion it's been very difficult to extract answers to some basic questions regarding your purchase and ownership experience with the car. However, if you knew the car only charged to 170 miles when you signed the purchase agreement and still went through with the deal despite "needing" a pack that charged to 200+, I'm just not sure what combination of information would have led you to believe that was going to be possible.
That seems like a fair reading to me.

Really, if the OP thinks it is fraud, there is nothing people here can do to help, other than report their own battery pack conditions or provide a service contact. Unfortunately, there are many posters here who have incentive (emotional and/or financial) to convince OP that there's nothing to see and/or OP is an ignorant fool. This plays out in nearly any thread with a complaint, regardless of the complaint's legitimacy. It's a shame.

Unfortunately, there are many posters here who have incentive (emotional and/or financial) to convince OP that there's nothing to see and/or OP is an ignorant fool. This plays out in nearly any thread with a complaint, regardless of the complaint's legitimacy. It's a shame.
What in the world thread are you talking about?! It's not this one. @TexasEV and I have been suggesting since page 1 here that it's a very unusually high level of range reduction that may be a bad module and very well could be "something to see" and is worth getting checked out further.

I really appreciate the posts on this forum that genuinely try to be helpful. This is obviously newer technology and I am not an expert in it at all (as is made obvious by my question in the first place). Nor could I afford buying new. That’s on me and that is my situation.

Perhaps I shouldn’t have been so accusatory in my subject line and apologize for that.

I am obviously very frustrated with my experience so far and it extends beyond the pack issue. Perhaps what I really am frustrated with is the service center and their lack of knowledge and willingness to lie.

I’m going to do this ..I will reach out to a different service center and ask them to evaluate the battery. Once I hear back I’ll come back this group and inform all of you with the results. I think we can all benefit from the conclusion of this drama as active posters and a shared passion for a technology that is changing the automotive industry.

In an effort to be helpful:

Does your car have Supercharging enabled, and are you near a supercharger? If so, run your car down to a lower state of charge (say under 25%) and attempt to supercharge it in an unpaired stall (supercharger stalls are labeled in pairs, ie 1a/1b, 2a/2b, etc - start a charge at a unit that does not have someone in the other paired stall).

What is the maximum charge rate you observe during the session (the "kW" number displayed while supercharging, not the "miles/hr" rating which is an average of the entire session and not useful)? One symptom of actual battery issues (vs "normal" degradation") is slow supercharging speeds. If your max supercharging rate is significantly lower than expected, that could point to a battery module issue and a warranty claim.
Yes it is supercharged enabled.... I can’t recall... I’ll stop by a Supercharger tonight ... take a pick and upload it. In the meantime ... this what my screen looks like when fully charged.
6036E019-FA2F-43D8-BFA2-B5A6B786B95F.jpeg

Thank you for being helpful... much appreciated

Well, I think you may have unfortunately run into an unhelpful or unknowledgeable service person, which isn't unusual. This blowing off of people's worries about range is unfortunately reinforced by two things:
(1) Actual module failure, which is a real thing, is very very rare, so that tech may not have encountered it to believe it has really happened to that person.

(2) But the flip side is that they probably hear several times PER DAY from brand new owners completely flipping their everlovin' minds that their cars have LOST RANGE because it shows 2 less miles on the display than it did last month, and ohmygodtheskyisfalling!!!1!1

So they do get kind of overly conditioned to just tell everyone to calm down because most of them usually are worrying about nothing, and you do have to push to get them to actually run a diagnostic on the battery to show that you really may be the 1 in thousands of bogus "range loss" worriers who actually does have a problem.

And any tech who tells you the rated miles number in that display is a constantly evolving thing that is based on your past driving habits and history is just wrong. Sorry, but I don't know why some of them say that.

I’m sure there are many who come in a claim Armageddon for loss of 4 miles and it must get old... quick.

I wouldn’t even bother posting if I was in that boat.

Thanks again for the reply

Reactions: Rocky_H
There is a current thread where someone was worried about a similar thing on his P85 and a few cycles from full to under 10% let the computer recalculate range.

Far as service I suspect it is HIGHLY specific to individual centers and people. I am probably 3 hours from Chicago center but choose to drive 5 hours to Minneapolis whom my limited dealings with have been great so far though I was disappointed to try and call them today and be bounced to call center and when I called the woman out on it she said she is dedicated to the Minneapolis Center but couldn't pronounce Minneapolis right(not an accent just wrong). Last year when I called to schedule annual service I spoke to someone I later met in person because he worked there.

Somewhere like Chicago I am sure they have all the customers they can handle without having to make anyone happy. Probably have to deal with a fair number of entitled jerks too, this all plays into the service experience of the next guy.

I don't like the call center thing but it is a cost saver, hopefully it just happened because a bunch of folks were enjoying a long holiday weekend.:cool:

What in the world thread are you talking about?! It's not this one. @TexasEV and I have been suggesting since page 1 here that it's a very unusually high level of range reduction that may be a bad module and very well could be "something to see" and is worth getting checked out further.
I'm talking about the thread in which the word "many" doesn't mean the same as the word "all". I don't know why you thought I was talking about you, but I think there's a song about it.

• Funny
Reactions: TaoJones
There is a current thread where someone was worried about a similar thing on his P85 and a few cycles from full to under 10% let the computer recalculate range.

Far as service I suspect it is HIGHLY specific to individual centers and people. I am probably 3 hours from Chicago center but choose to drive 5 hours to Minneapolis whom my limited dealings with have been great so far though I was disappointed to try and call them today and be bounced to call center and when I called the woman out on it she said she is dedicated to the Minneapolis Center but couldn't pronounce Minneapolis right(not an accent just wrong). Last year when I called to schedule annual service I spoke to someone I later met in person because he worked there.

Somewhere like Chicago I am sure they have all the customers they can handle without having to make anyone happy. Probably have to deal with a fair number of entitled jerks too, this all plays into the service experience of the next guy.

I don't like the call center thing but it is a cost saver, hopefully it just happened because a bunch of folks were enjoying a long holiday weekend.:cool:
You reminded me .... the call center !!! Similar experience as I made an appointment for the Westmont IL SC ... they ended up making an appointment for me in CA!!!! I hope Tesla isn’t hiring all “hipsters” who only communicate via text and forgot about human interaction and good service.

Attachments

• B382A4AA-CFCB-4966-9A15-0EA00C0F2291.jpeg
    B382A4AA-CFCB-4966-9A15-0EA00C0F2291.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 33
Yes it is supercharged enabled.... I can’t recall... I’ll stop by a Supercharger tonight ... take a pick and upload it. In the meantime ... this what my screen looks like when fully charged.View attachment 314865

Thank you for being helpful... much appreciated

Mine is also a 2014 MS60 CPO and I got ONLY 160 miles at 100%.
The car has about 80K miles.

I've been back and forth with our local SC several times and they kept saying it's normal and yet they can't (won't) explain why it degraded that bad.

From what I can gather, as far as the MS60 is concerned, quite a few 2014 cars got the degradation problem.

I really appreciate the posts on this forum that genuinely try to be helpful. This is obviously newer technology and I am not an expert in it at all (as is made obvious by my question in the first place). Nor could I afford buying new. That’s on me and that is my situation...

I’m going to do this ..I will reach out to a different service center and ask them to evaluate the battery. Once I hear back I’ll come back this group and inform all of you with the results. I think we can all benefit from the conclusion of this drama as active posters and a shared passion for a technology that is changing the automotive industry.

Hopefully, you can resolve this.

In my case, I've been to 2 different SC (Buena Park & Costa Mesa) and yet they kept saying the same thing.
I even communicated with Tesla HQ directly and it seems they read from the same script.