Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Family man finding the S a little too tight. Is the X significantly better with kids?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back to OP question. I'm a grandpa. Thirteen grandchildren. They LOVE riding in the MX. I just had major body work done and was given a MS by Enterprise--Paid by Tesla INS. Wonderful experience BTW. I drove the MS for 10 days. I was impressed on day one--until I had to get out--groan on these old bones. Boy, was I glad to get my Snowball back. If I had it to do all over again--and could get the same deal (I bought inventory MX with 1K miles), I would definitely opt for the 7 seat. Six is nice but for just me, I would rather have it useable for hauling and solo camping. But when I'm at my kids house with grandkids, I wish I could take more and would definitely use the 7 seats (got some skinny granddaughters and several grandsons under 10. The MX is tons roomier and the FWD are no gimmick. Makes entry/exit easy and fun and real easy to clean. MS would definite lower the fun and ease quotient.

I am a little confused by the question as I have a Model S and take care of 3 grandchildren in car seats - 6, 4 & 1.5 - and all car seats fit quite well across the back seat. I did get an insert fitted into the hollow on one side to make it level for the rear facing seat.

The 6yo sits in the middle as he can put the belts on and I can tighten through the gap in the front seats.

I find it very easy to load and unload and I still have space for a second adult in the front.

It might get a bit squeezy when the youngest goes forward facing in 2-3 years but I prefer the looks, performance and handling of the S.

I am a little confused by the question as I have a Model S and take care of 3 grandchildren in car seats - 6, 4 & 1.5 - and all car seats fit quite well across the back seat. I did get an insert fitted into the hollow on one side to make it level for the rear facing seat.

The 6yo sits in the middle as he can put the belts on and I can tighten through the gap in the front seats.

I find it very easy to load and unload and I still have space for a second adult in the front.

It might get a bit squeezy when the youngest goes forward facing in 2-3 years but I prefer the looks, performance and handling of the S.

What did you use for this? If I go for the S I had considered getting some sort of custom made polythene to level up the back seats as the hip supports on either side really restrict the usable space for car seats...

When I purchased my S in 2016 my family was only two. Now its four, and the S is tough with two baby seats. Really only good for local drives and even then its tight getting the kids in and out. We have a Highlander so I we don't really NEED two SUV's but the falcon wing doors seem like game-changers when you have kids.

Has anyone gone from the S to the X? Was it worth it?
Is it significantly better if you have kids?

We sort of did. We bought the S first, and it was a good car. But we ultimately added an X.

We still have the S but our X is our primary family car now. The FWD makes getting small kids in and out a piece of cake - this coming from a former minivan owner.

I'm late to weigh in here, but I absolutely hate the Model S because of the forward sitting B pillar. I'm 6" and I need to twist in and out of the car like it is a Roadster. Stupid design. The B pillar should have been 5-7 inches further back. Over time, My right hip began to hurt from the action of getting in and out of a Model S loaner that I was given for a few days while my X was being serviced.

The Model X, on the other hand, is set up properly. You almost fall in and out because there is so much room. You also don't need to lower yourself to get in or pull yourself up to get out.

I have one of the first 5 seaters, and I love it. My kids are 17 and 14 and they like the good amount of legroom. Much better than my prior vehicle, a 2016 BMW X6-M package.

Rear split seats fold up and down to allow tonnes of shopping, but I hate the headrests of the rear seats because I always need to move the front seats forward in order to let the rear seats fold down.

Lots of storage. Lots of room for family, and comfortable to get in and out of as far as the Model X.

Mileage is significantly worse than a Model S though, due to heavier weight. I also have 22 inch rims which I am reconsidering because of their rolling weight being on the heavy side. 20 inch rims are reportedly better on mileage, but 22's make the handling super crisp.

Sorry for weighing in late.

Best,

T

When I purchased my S in 2016 my family was only two. Now its four, and the S is tough with two baby seats. Really only good for local drives and even then its tight getting the kids in and out. We have a Highlander so I we don't really NEED two SUV's but the falcon wing doors seem like game-changers when you have kids.

Has anyone gone from the S to the X? Was it worth it?
Is it significantly better if you have kids?
As others say, there is a big difference. It is the reason we bought the X after having driven all the models.

Reactions: Big Ike
What did you use for this? If I go for the S I had considered getting some sort of custom made polythene to level up the back seats as the hip supports on either side really restrict the usable space for car seats...

I went to a motor trimmer and had him make 3 inserts in similar colored leather that velcro together to make the entire seat flat.

I 100% agree that the S is a bit cramped with the 3 seats and that once they are a bit older fitting 3 front facing seats will be more difficult. I love the sportiness of the S so much and, having driven an X, it simply is not the car for my personal wants and needs. Do not mistake this for criticism of the X, it is a damn fine motor vehicle and a joy to drive - just not for me.

I have my grand kids 3-4 days a week while their mum is working. I pick them up from her workplace (nurse at a hospital) and drop them back at the end of the day, so I have them in my car a lot. As long as I can open the rear doors fairly wide, there is no problem getting them in and out. I can even use "easy entry" with my seat going back a fair way because kids in car seats do not need much legroom...:)