Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement for Model S/X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I’ve stated, they’ve only been able to keep their sales momentum with extremely aggressive price cuts and incentives.
More hyperbole that is only a compelling argument if you examine it in a vacuum...

EVERY volume brand aggressively lowered prices through MSRP/asking price reductions or dramatically raised incentives this year. Tesla isn't a particular outlier in this case. The price reductions came on the heels of a once in a generation run-up and automotive pricing bubble that was always going to pop. The idea of a damn near $70k base Model Y was always insane and it's good for everyone, Tesla included, that that's behind us. Lower prices will increase the overall market size and nobody is close to being able to capitalize on that opportunity as well as Tesla, for better or worse...

When did Tesla have a Mercedes interior? I’ve owned a model s since 2014 and don’t recall them ever having a Mercedes interior
The stalks and a few other pieces of interior switchgear from the vintage Model S are straight from the early 2000s Mercedes parts bin.

Apparently that was the peak of automotive excellence that we all need to go back to.

• Funny
Reactions: Hank42 and cptnslo
I also like mechanical watches so I'm probably in the minority there. Not everything needs to be haptic touchscreen autonomous. It just feels cheap for old timers.
Not just old timers. All my younger friends hate touch-anything in cars as well and strongly prefer tactile controls. And all my friends are very tech-savvy and many work in tech/engineering/science.

Push comes to shove the BMW IX looks like a bargain used. Great reviews and a lot cheaper than Model S or X
I bought a 2023 BMW iX M60 because it was styled like a traditional easy to get in and out of SUV.It's very smooth and quiet cabin more tightly made than my 2021 Tesla Model S Plaid I got used from Carmax as a second fun car for it's 1020 hp acceleration.
The text size is bigger and more color filled than the small Tesla text.
The console has buttons and a wheel to access the screen functions.
Unless you specifically shut it down before exiting it will stay on for 10-15 minutes
The Tesla has a better range of 260 at 80% charge and charges at 34 mph vs the BMW 205 in the summer and 170 in below freezing at 80% charge.
The Tesla only loses 5% range in the winter vs 20-25% for the BMW.
I thought I wouldn't like it but I like the yoke wheel a lot.
I drive with my hands at 4 and 8 so it's perfect for me.
I can turn it with 1 finger for parking turn arounds.
I like how turning it over for parking gives you an extra 6 inches clearance to get in and out.
I would have preferred stalks but have got used to the buttons.
I do like the left side scroll wheel volume and next track functions.
The BMW is my winter car now.

In drag racing, every hundred pounds equates to roughly 1/10 of a second and the jeep is supposed to weigh in around 65 to 6700 pounds based on a quick Google search and it’s down 70 hp off a base model S the weight alone should be causing a higher 0 to 60 than that
1) most of those rules of thumb date back to times when 300hp was considered to be a lot

2) you’re assuming the model s makes the full 670hp from the beginning. It doesn’t, in fact it doesn’t appear to reach max power until 60mph or so

In drag racing, every hundred pounds equates to roughly 1/10 of a second and the jeep is supposed to weigh in around 65 to 6700 pounds based on a quick Google search and it’s down 70 hp off a base model S the weight alone should be causing a higher 0 to 60 than that
Might have more torque in the RPM region 0-60. HP does not affect acceleration on electric motors so much since HP is calculated at peak RPM and only ICE motors visit peak RPM frequently during 0-60 launch. Though after watching that link explain how EV HP is calculated, I'm not sure how it compares to ICE HP at all.

Might have more torque in the RPM region 0-60. HP does not affect acceleration on electric motors so much since HP is calculated at peak RPM and only ICE motors visit peak RPM frequently during 0-60 launch. Though after watching that link explain how EV HP is calculated, I'm not sure how it compares to ICE HP at all.
Teslas currently have a max torque limit, which creates a nearly linear climb to their max power or max battery limit (whichever is lower) before 60mph. As mentioned earlier in this thread, this torque limit determines 0-60 times before other limits are reached.

On older S and X, the max power limit was set below to motor’s physical limit. But at higher RPMs, backEMF would gradually reduce power at higher RPMs. This is why geared ICE exotics would get killed by early Teslas but then catch them at higher speeds. Later, with plaid’s lower gearing and exotic motor winding there is negligible backEMF and plaid cars just keep pulling away with nearly constant power as RPMs climb.

In 3 and Y, the car’s motor limits are below the battery power limit rather than capped by a max power setting, so the drop off in power from BackEMF is more drastic as speeds increase, without the lower gearing and fancy motor windings.

The graph at the bottom of this post shows the older power model. Imagine the 3 and Y dotted power lines don’t have a flat spot, rather they simply slowly decline after peak. And the plaid power doesn't decline much at all after at higher speeds, so the plaid dotted power line would be nearly flat on the right. Like this…
1706788548186.jpeg

Last edited: