Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement for Model S/X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Taycan refresh looks great. They're too small for me though. Very sporty and excellent for smaller drivers though. Pricy and no tax cuts though.
Same here. there are a few Taycans where i live, a very nice blue and a grey one, both cross turismos. I would love you have one, but they rear seats arent really big enough for 3 people (2 child seats either side with one adult in between is our usual scenario) and the boot is nothing compared to the Model S. BMWs offerings are looking like a good alternative, however they still havent released an estate (wagon) and all their saloons are the sillt pop up boot with no load entry space. I have heard quite a few people with Non-Tesla EVs are suffering when charging when going on long journeys, both lack of and price. Looking at some of the high speed chargers, with p/kwh around 75-90p i am not suprised.

Looks amazing, drives amazing.. but that Porsche tax rubs me the wrong way. Say what you will about Tesla, at least the Plaid is priced extremely well for what you get.
Currently. When it was $140k, not so much. Porsche’s tactics do bother me, especially the tendency to make GT cars and such available only to VIPs +/- 100k adm. But I wouldn’t give Tesla too much credit - they only charge a reasonable price because they had to drop their prices. They were happy to fleece their customers during the pandemic.

Reactions: AMPd
Currently. When it was $140k, not so much. Porsche’s tactics do bother me, especially the tendency to make GT cars and such available only to VIPs +/- 100k adm. But I wouldn’t give Tesla too much credit - they only charge a reasonable price because they had to drop their prices. They were happy to fleece their customers during the pandemic.
I lost all respect for Porsche when they started charging for windshield wiper removal. They nickle and dime worse than ANY other manufacturer

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I don't mind Porsche's a la carte system. It feels a bit bait and switch to see base MSRP then realize it'll probably be 50% more when you're done with options but that's exactly what they are, options.

If you just add 50% to the MSRP in your head before starting a Porsche build you'll be okay.

The exotic brands are even worse and they won't even let you buy a base car generally.

Honda and Toyota are known for taking the opposite route and having very few options and simple builds. Tesla is also very simple.

Porsche prices in general have just gone bananas in the past 10 years. They used to be pretty reasonable and plenty of inventory. I remember test driving the 718 when it came out. Now my dealer says they only get a few a year, preallocated, marked up 30% and unobtainium. They're just the Rolex of cars right now.

Outside of EV's the only ICE car I'd probably buy is a Porsche convertible manual transmission thing. But with unobtanium and markups it's a no go for me.

They do feel really well engineered and built. The ergonomics felt good to me on test drives.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Porsche prices in general have just gone bananas in the past 10 years. They used to be pretty reasonable and plenty of inventory. I remember test driving the 718 when it came out. Now my dealer says they only get a few a year, preallocated, marked up 30% and unobtainium. They're just the Rolex of cars right now.
Yep this is the part that bothers me. They were never cheap, but they were feasible for most high income earners with some planning. Now there are many that you just cannot get for any price without connections.

I'm totally fine with exclusivity. Just free market and social value stuff.

If you are loaded with cash you can always by used.

Best way to get the exclusive stuff is to build a relationship over the years. Buy some Cayenne's and 911's then trade in for the GT3.

I'm curious to see what they do next generation when they have potentially both NA ICE versions and EV versions of their sports cars. I bet those will be very expensive, another 20% on top of current MSRP.

If you just add 50% to the MSRP in your head before starting a Porsche build you'll be okay.

That's definitely true when buying a new Taycan. But on the flip side, if you wait a couple of years to buy a barely-used Taycan, after you add 50% to the base MSRP, you can subtract 60% from that total to get your buy price, which accounts for the most soul-crushing depreciation in the industry. 🤣

The text size is bigger and more color filled than the small Tesla text.
The console has buttons and a wheel to access the screen functions.
Unless you specifically shut it down before exiting it will stay on for 10-15 minutes
The Tesla has a better range of 260 at 80% charge and charges at 34 mph vs the BMW 205 in the summer and 170 in below freezing at 80% charge.
The Tesla only loses 5% range in the winter vs 20-25% for the BMW.
I thought I wouldn't like it but I like the yoke wheel a lot.
I drive with my hands at 4 and 8 so it's perfect for me.
I can turn it with 1 finger for parking turn arounds.
I like how turning it over for parking gives you an extra 6 inches clearance to get in and out.
I would have preferred stalks but have got used to the buttons.
I do like the left side scroll wheel volume and next track functions.
The BMW is my winter car now.
Thanks - that is a really good summary. I wish the BMW IX or i5 had a lot better range, as I am very partial to BMW’s. Great paint jobs too compared to Tesla and like their media interface, plus CarPlay. I thought the IX was better than that. They really should have made the i5 with much better range, just don’t get it.