Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Family w 3 kids - Choose X or wait for Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you were already considering an X and were able to purchase one. While you are only considering Y due to price point. Buy the X.
If i can offer some suggestions as to other things to consider:
If going electric, Saving Money/enviroment and easy as possible car life are the main things: buy the Y you could get a fully loaded Y with all the full self drive/options/range for probobly cheaper than a standard X.

If you want to really admire your car, and have the most comfortable ride possible, definately get the X, The falcon wing doors have a wow factor the others teslas just dont. There is more room in the X than other teslas as well, more storage, more weight (which leads to a safer feeling)

Regardless of your choice, Buying a Tesla was one of the best purchases ive ever made.
(August 2018 P100D X Owner)

Reactions: sw1008
We have to take out a credit to afford the X. However I completely agree with GalaxySurfer - I think we´ll admire the car, because we intend to buy it for long trips most, e.g. we have to travel around 200mi to the grandparents on a regular 2 month basis. Also parts of our family live 700mi away, which we consider to visit occasionally once in 1-2ys. But the point why we want a real comfortable travel machine is we would like to show all of Europe´s beauty to our kids.

We have to take out a credit to afford the X. However I completely agree with GalaxySurfer - I think we´ll admire the car, because we intend to buy it for long trips most, e.g. we have to travel around 200mi to the grandparents on a regular 2 month basis. Also parts of our family live 700mi away, which we consider to visit occasionally once in 1-2ys. But the point why we want a real comfortable travel machine is we would like to show all of Europe´s beauty to our kids.

One other thing to consider is an S. The ONLY reason I bought the X over the S is I needed it to do a modest amount of towing.

S has way further range, cheaper than X and probably has similar storage as a Y. S is a hatchback. It has similar width as an X. Personally I could care less about the falcon wing doors.

One other thing to consider is an S. The ONLY reason I bought the X over the S is I needed it to do a modest amount of towing.

S has way further range, cheaper than X and probably has similar storage as a Y. S is a hatchback. It has similar width as an X. Personally I could care less about the falcon wing doors.

Already tried the S - coming from a minivan (VW Sharan) its a no-go for us concerning seating position and storage, also the children felt like sitting in a dark cave.

In a similar boat.. Have 2 kids now and will have a third sometime next year (god willing). Most of what I’ve read has said that neither are ideal for 3 kids.. Got my wife a brand new minivan last year so we have a car to haul them in. Its my turn for a new car, I think I’m going to wait until more info comes out about the Y. Would like to see real comparisons on the sizes rather than just guesses based on specs. Hopefully we’ll get more info soon!

Shame the Cybertruck was not on your list. Who knows when or if available in your area though. From the ride videos on the evening of the reveal, it appears to have a very large rear seat. It appeared to be comfortable for three adults.

In a similar boat.. Have 2 kids now and will have a third sometime next year (god willing). Most of what I’ve read has said that neither are ideal for 3 kids.. Got my wife a brand new minivan last year so we have a car to haul them in. Its my turn for a new car, I think I’m going to wait until more info comes out about the Y. Would like to see real comparisons on the sizes rather than just guesses based on specs. Hopefully we’ll get more info soon!
If it would be our second car, i‘d go for it, but as we decided just to have one (we both commute with public transport to town for work) the situation is different

Since the Y will only be about 10% bigger than the 3, try putting all 3 of your kids in the backseat of a Model 3 to see if it is comfortable for them. We did this for our 3 kids and ended up realizing it wouldn’t work for us. We ended up going with the X.

I did put all three of my kids in the back of a model 3 and took a test drive. Sure it wasn't as much space as my minivan, but was easily better than my Kia Soul EV by comparison. :D

Sure the X would provide a lot more room and flexibility, but I simply cannot afford the $35,000 price difference between the Y and the X.

• Funny
For sure the Y would be a good one to go as a second car, but as the primary and only one I think it could get critical when taking long trips. I mean it surely is possible to do long trips with taking knto account charging breaks, but changing completely to BEV from a spacious ICE van should not be for the sake of traveling comfort

For sure the Y would be a good one to go as a second car, but as the primary and only one I think it could get critical when taking long trips. I mean it surely is possible to do long trips with taking knto account charging breaks, but changing completely to BEV from a spacious ICE van should not be for the sake of traveling comfort

The Y will be my primary commuter car, but we already own an ICE minivan that we currently use for long trips. Getting the Y will give us to option to use it on longer trips and avoid burning gasoline on said trips.

If using for long distance trips that require multiple supercharging stops you'll save time with the Y - more efficient consumption and battery can charge way faster

I'm definitely jealous of the charging but the X is great for road trips. It has tons of room and is really comfortable. Even though it can't cover ground as fast as our model 3 we always end up taking the X

I was parked next to a Y the other day at a supercharger and it looks surprisingly big. I actually thought it was an X at first. But it does share 70% of parts with 3 so it has to be a similar sized interior...

They are going to sell a ton of Y's

The Y will be my primary commuter car, but we already own an ICE minivan that we currently use for long trips. Getting the Y will give us to option to use it on longer trips and avoid burning gasoline on said trips.

That’s not what this thread is about. You’re choosing the Y as a secondary car for commuting while you have ICE minivan for trips. That’s great. I choose a Volt for a secondary commuter car. But for Primary we have the X and I will never be caught dead in a minivan, especially an ICE one.

If using for long distance trips that require multiple supercharging stops you'll save time with the Y - more efficient consumption and battery can charge way faster

I'm definitely jealous of the charging but the X is great for road trips. It has tons of room and is really comfortable. Even though it can't cover ground as fast as our model 3 we always end up taking the X

I was parked next to a Y the other day at a supercharger and it looks surprisingly big. I actually thought it was an X at first. But it does share 70% of parts with 3 so it has to be a similar sized interior...

They are going to sell a ton of Y's

X will take a little longer to charge. But an AWD Y will get 48 miles less range than a LR X. So I think it’s a wash on the amount of time charging.

Do You think Tesla will change the X significantly in 2020?
There were rumors about a plaid drivetrain, for me nothing to geek for but I would be interested in larger battery size or faster charging and possibly the technology of the Y and 3 in terms of display ratio and interior design. I can’t imagine that Tesla Theater looks good on the 17 inch vertical display for example, so clearly features like this were built for the new display orientation. On the other hand the new roadster has also an portrait oriented screen.

coming btt I hope we will get soon some decent reviews of the Ys interior. If like @redgt mentioned the Y looked very big maybe rocket man Elon did another miracle out of a car ;)

Do You think Tesla will change the X significantly in 2020?
There were rumors about a plaid drivetrain, for me nothing to geek for but I would be interested in larger battery size or faster charging and possibly the technology of the Y and 3 in terms of display ratio and interior design. I can’t imagine that Tesla Theater looks good on the 17 inch vertical display for example, so clearly features like this were built for the new display orientation. On the other hand the new roadster has also an portrait oriented screen.

coming btt I hope we will get soon some decent reviews of the Ys interior. If like @redgt mentioned the Y looked very big maybe rocket man Elon did another miracle out of a car ;)

One feature looks better in landscape. While 50 other features look the same or better in portrait / dual screens.

Also keep in mind while driving the 3/Y the left 1/3 of the (15”) screen is taken away for what is on the cluster display on a Model S/X.

So you’re left with a Nav screen on 3/Y that is like a 9” portrait while the S/X Nav is a 17” portrait. Almost half the size.

And Netflix looks perfectly fine for the little that I use it.

I hope Tesla doesn’t ruin the S/X experience. I traded in my Model 3 which I found harsh over bumps, loud as heck on some highway roads and interior not nearly as inviting. Better seats, smoother (adjustable ride), massive display, cluster display. Suede like headliner. I had no complaints about Model 3 seats but the Model S/X seats are so much nicer. X has better Audio too, 3 was no slouch though.

I bought my X now concerned they may try to cut costs on the next X or raise prices if they want to keep it special. They just made the seats slightly cheaper by removing motorized adjustable headrests.

A used X may be best. The Model Y may not be big enough for 3 kids and two adults on regular trips.
If you are tripping in it get the long range if you buy used. Be sure to get all the features you want / need.
If auto pilot is desired for road trips then try to get a discounted demo or loaner so you get the latest features.
In either case you need to sit in both and check them out before making a purchase.