Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Family w 3 kids - Choose X or wait for Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks, we are a family with three girls aged 5,7 and 9y. We live somewhat outside fo Cologne, Germany. We are saying our ICE Car goodbye right now and are switching from a minivan.
We are unsure whether to buy an X or an Y (both as 7seaters).
Our girls want to sit next to each other, all three of them have child seats actually. We tried the X and it was comfy for them, as the Y is another price tag (around 30.000€ less) we think if the Y would be also comfy for long travelling with all three of them buckled up in the 2nd row it could be the better choice concerning our budget.
As this is the only car we will owe I would like to make extensive use of long trips with the family through europe (we dont fly). Woud the Y be an option for that?

From the pics I have already seen the Y has no full third seat in the middle as the X has, but comparing to the M3 is that of the Y wider and come quite near to the Xs middle seat?

what is Your advice?

Thanks in advance

Since the Y will only be about 10% bigger than the 3, try putting all 3 of your kids in the backseat of a Model 3 to see if it is comfortable for them. We did this for our 3 kids and ended up realizing it wouldn’t work for us. We ended up going with the X.
Some folks who have sat in the Y say the 2nd row is noticeably wider than the 3. By moving the 2nd row forward a few inches relative to the tail taper of the car, this does make sense, and even 1 or 2 inches can make a big difference to fitting 3 butts on a bench :).

Reactions: mgraff and JPUConn
we are planning to use the car for the next seven ys at least, so the oldest one will be 17ys the others 15 and 12 then.

X all the way, and this is the clincher for me.

We have 2 kids, ages 8 and 6, and have an X that we plan to keep for a long time. The X is also more convenient when we have family in town and want to actually have 7 in the car. Seems the window of scenarios to have 7 in the Y without being cramped is slim.

The Y will be too small for 5 people, 3 of which are growing rapidly. The Y's rear seats aren't large enough for teens and older, leaving all three wedged into the second row seats. As a kid, our family had an '82 NIssan Sentra and we did some trips with the three of us kids (ages 9, 11 & 12) crammed into the back seat. It wasn't any fun.

My vote is for the X.

Welcome to the Tesla community!

As Y is not really here yet, I'd argue that the X to Y comparison is analogous to comparing S and 3.

S is definitely larger inside and offers more trunk space(s) than the 3. So it accommodates adults and elder kids (like teens and their luggages) on the back seats better. Of course, for luggage, you can add a rooftop box, but this will impact range and thus extend a bit your travel time due to the additional charging needed.
That being said, the cost difference being important, you could indeed be very happy for your daily commutes with a Y and still very happy on vacations with a rooftop box.

We have a S (old one with the big frunk). Although our two sons (13 and 16) are comfortably seated in the back, every vacation we manage to fill every cubic inch of the trunk and frunk, so we can avoid rooftop box. With a 3 we would need that additional external storage.

I do envy the X for its comfortable, adjustable seats in the back: on longer journey, I can see the kids would appreciate to be able to adjust their seat in a more relaxing position. Maybe seats in the Y will offer that too.

In fact we already tried the X for a week and it fittet perfectly. But spending 30k € less and having enough space to fit three of them in a row would be a nice way to go. We tries to fit three child seats in a 3 - no way - at least with our EU based seats. So I am curious if the Y will offer wider 2 nd row than the 3, but from what I have seen until now its as usual - two full seats and a kind of armrest-sized middle seat with no profiling

In fact we already tried the X for a week and it fittet perfectly. But spending 30k € less and having enough space to fit three of them in a row would be a nice way to go. We tries to fit three child seats in a 3 - no way - at least with our EU based seats. So I am curious if the Y will offer wider 2 nd row than the 3, but from what I have seen until now its as usual - two full seats and a kind of armrest-sized middle seat with no profiling

I would think the X would be a better fit for any family with more than 2 children. The Y is going for the compact SUV market. The X is the full to large SUV.

And as your children get older you may prefer the extra space and second A/C unit (6 or 7 seat only) of the X. Especially if your family vacations become like mine did, with kids hauling more and more stuff, including the occasional boyfriend. And the second A/C would handles the complaints of "it is too hot or cold" coming from kids in the back.

Last edited:
Especially if your family vacations become like mine did, with kids haulin more and more stuff, including the occasional boyfriend. And the second A/C would handles the complaints of "it is too hot or cold" coming from kids in

the boyfriemd thing was something I did not really think of until now, but with my three little ladies there is a slight chance being a young couples driver some day ;)

does the 7 seater X come with a designated 2nd AC unit for the back?

The Y will be too small for 5 people, 3 of which are growing rapidly. The Y's rear seats aren't large enough for teens and older, leaving all three wedged into the second row seats. As a kid, our family had an '82 NIssan Sentra and we did some trips with the three of us kids (ages 9, 11 & 12) crammed into the back seat. It wasn't any fun.

My vote is for the X.

1) Y will not be the size of a 1982 Sentra
2) Long trips in BEVs will involve significant stops.
3) I was the rear middle of 3 boys, and I'm fine.
4) Girls, not boys.
5) Give it a few years, and trips with parents will be like, totally lame anyway and something to be avoided.

1) Y will not be the size of a 1982 Sentra
2) Long trips in BEVs will involve significant stops.
3) I was the rear middle of 3 boys, and I'm fine.
4) Girls, not boys.
5) Give it a few years, and trips with parents will be like, totally lame anyway and something to be avoided.

Possible that 5) will look alike in 4-5 ys from now, but the change has to upcome right now for us. We did one thing wrong in this story... we tested an Outlander PHEV in pure Electric mode. We got trapped. Since then every ICE ride with our VW diesel minivan is like traveling back to the ancient past

Model X

More room.
More range.
Quieter.
Smoother.
With 7/6 Seats you not only get a true a 2nd zone you also get a larger AC Compressor (which also cools the battery).
Free Super Charging.
More clearance (snow).
Better handling in the Snow.

Coming from someone that traded his AWD Model 3 for a LR Raven Model X.

I traded in a minivan for a new X last June with an idea that I may trade in the X for Y around mid 2021 if the third row was big enough. I really love the X but don’t love the payments (I am one of the people doing the Tesla stretch). Chances are, seeing the pictures of the third row, I will keep the X and just suck it up with the payments. (Not complaining. The car is worth it)

One idea is get a used X. That way you will not take a huge hit in the “drive off the lot“ depreciation and from Tesla’s constant price changes. Then look at the Y when it comes out and is available and make the decision to 1) keep the used X, 2) trade in for Y, or 3) trade in for a new X (they may have the refreshed S/X by then).