Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fan noise (whirring sound) when car is off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is this while charging or after driving? Might be the car cooling the batteries.

A fun moment: after numerous SC charges (all in the winter), doing a SC charge in 90+ F degrees yielded significant fan noise when outside which startled me somewhat (not able to hear it inside, however).

I've only had it for a few days, but I'm pretty sure it's the battery temp management. Mine does it a lot while its in the garage. Definitely happens during charging too (which I'm guessing causes heat). It stops if I open the door or otherwise indicate I'm about to get in.

When I was at a SC the other day, there was a 2 year old P90 doing the same thing, only it was way louder. Owner was not alarmed.

Last weekend, both of our Teslas were parked in our hot (high 80s) garage, but not charging. I backed-out both cars and parked them in the driveway because I was doing some work in the garage.

Both car's cabin circulating fans (not the AC compressors) kicked on after parked 20 minutes in the hot South Florida sun.

Even though I've never seen it documented, this seems to be a feature that kicks on somewhere around high 90s cabin temp. The batteries were charged to 90% the night before, so maybe this feature only kicks in when the batteries are not too low on charge.

Yes. But it really doesn't work very well. It tries to predict your regular daily schedule and then precondition the cabin to your temp. Lots of comments on how it simply does not work. Very nice idea though. Never worked for me. My schedule is not exactly the same each day. I find the phone app more convenient.

• Helpful
Reactions: Soundchasr
I don't think it's fans. I think it's the water pump circulating coolant. I'm not sure why it does this or the method to the madness, but if the fans are running, you would be able to feel the air coming out from the wheel well area.

Pre-conditioning is turned off in both my cars. It's not my AC that was running and it was not my wheel-well cooling fan or coolant circulating pump. It's the cabin air circulating fan which can be heard outside the car near the passenger-side windshield wiper pulling in outside air. It stops running when a door opens.

Pre-conditioning is turned off in both my cars. It's not my AC that was running and it was not my wheel-well cooling fan or coolant circulating pump. It's the cabin air circulating fan which can be heard outside the car near the passenger-side windshield wiper pulling in outside air. It stops running when a door opens.

Right. Sorry. I've caught my car doing this a few times as well. Same deal...open the door and it stops. I've been baffled as to why it does this.

I asked my DS about it just to be sure. He said it was "battery thermal management" and is completely normal.

Maybe they should add that to the orientation. As someone who only did a few test drives before purchasing, I had no idea what to expect when it was actually charging. The first night I had it, I definitely went in the garage for something and was like "umm I hope that sound is normal..."

• Informative
Reactions: Soundchasr