Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Farmers insurance compared to Tesla insurance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there are other threads on the insurance topic but I wanted to start a new one that specifically addresses my question.

I have Tesla insurance, and it by far has the cheapest premium. The second cheapest I have found is Farmers. I am a little skeptical about Tesla insurance and have read a thread or 2 on here talking about how they are not so good when it comes time to file a claim, so was considering switching to Farmers. Anyone care to share any experience they have with their Tesla and Farmers, either good or bad?

For giggles, the most expensive premium I was quoted was for $11,000 a year with Allstate. Craziness.

...$11,000 a year with Allstate...

My 6-month Wawanesa 2018 Model 3 premium is $657.83 ($1,315.66 annually for 12,500 annual miles) .

1630555800915.png

• Love
Reactions: Massive Attack
Ah yes, Wawanesa! Someone recommended that I get a quote from them but I totally forgot, thanks for reminding me! I take it you are happy with them?

Unfortunately, I've been losing money with them because I haven't gotten into any accidents in order to make any claims.

I got a co-worker who was at fault in an accident and I personally saw how smoothly Wawanesa took care of the problem so I was so impressed and switched to it.

Regardless, I am very happy with it for more than a decade.

Reactions: m a x i m u s
You might also want to check out MAPFRE Insurance, assuming they offer insurance in your state. Here in MA, I pay $92 a month to insure my M3 with a $500 deductible. That $92 a month also insures my 2007 Volvo XC70, but I don't have collision on that one. In the past, I had to file two claims on a different Volvo I owned. MAPFRE paid for Volvo parts each time instead of after market parts, and they didn't argue about the repair estimate either.

People need to realize that there is more to insurance and insurance companies than just rate!
That is true... I had wawanesa for over 10 years and they been the cheapest and quickest claim I ever had. However if you read their limits you see some info that are disturbing. When you leave your home state your coverage drop downs to that state limit even though you have let's say 100/300. If someone drives your car and gets into an accident that isn't family that lives in your household then it drops down to state limit.

If that doesn't bother you then wawa is very good imo. I would have stayed but I do have sometimes other driving my car.

Currently I have tsla ins but looking to switch. I heard there was a company that is works directly w service center so might give them a shot. I think it was 21st century? Can't remember.

Reactions: SPACE_EX
Whenever someone puts insurance comparisons in a thread, it always devolves into people putting what they pay for their own insurance, which, frankly only matters in a VERY VERY general sense.

What someone pays for their insurance in AZ, or MA, or even in Los Angeles (when I live 90 miles from Los Angels) doesnt mean anything at all for what "I" might or might not pay for my insurance.

Questions around "are they easy to work with, or file claims with, or allow OEM parts vs aftermarket?" all that is relevant. "I pay XXX per month for my model 3? " not really relevant.

For giggles, the most expensive premium I was quoted was for $11,000 a year with Allstate. Craziness.
Holy! The monthly rate for that policy is slightly less than what I pay for the entire year for mine. For what it's worth, as this has already been noted in this thread, I pay roughly $1K / year for full coverage, and considerably higher liability coverage than state minimums. I do have a $1K deductible (I ensure for high dollar losses) but I do have glass coverage with no deductible. State Farm insurance.

Coverage is so dependent on vehicle model, year, driving record, residence, driving record, etc. that premium comparisons are not comparable. I cannot speak to Tesla's insurance so I can't directly address your situation. However I have found State Farm to be quite reasonable and their service has been excellent (claim filing has been simple).

Whenever someone puts insurance comparisons in a thread, it always devolves into people putting what they pay for their own insurance, which, frankly only matters in a VERY VERY general sense.

What someone pays for their insurance in AZ, or MA, or even in Los Angeles (when I live 90 miles from Los Angels) doesnt mean anything at all for what "I" might or might not pay for my insurance.

Questions around "are they easy to work with, or file claims with, or allow OEM parts vs aftermarket?" all that is relevant. "I pay XXX per month for my model 3? " not really relevant.
I totally agree... I want to have a company that will work with the SC and pay the parts and labor. I moved from wawa and geico on my 3 for that reason. I assume tsla ins is easier to work with for parts. But will be open to research come nov

What happens with Tesla insurance if you run Saturday night drags at the local strip? Of course racing is not covered, but does the acceleration and speed trigger something with your insurance? Are they monitoring your driving behavior like some companies with their dongle?

I was told by Tesla insurance that they do not have access to car data. They told me that I would have to update my annual mileage myself, and when I said that I thought they had all that info realtime, they said that they did not. I assume this would apply across the board with all data including speed, but who knows.

Reactions: SPACE_EX
I was told by Tesla insurance that they do not have access to car data. They told me that I would have to update my annual mileage myself, and when I said that I thought they had all that info realtime, they said that they did not. I assume this would apply across the board with all data including speed, but who knows.
And you believed them? Seriously though I would not trust them. I called them about my battery concerns and they said they were looking at the charging history of the vehicle. Said I wasn't letting it run down much...which is true since I drive very little each day and, as recommended by the owners manual, plug it in when not in use. Even gave me the specific date that it had run down the most (August 22nd which was about right since I didn't have a charging cable for a couple of weeks after buying the car).

Maybe the insurance company is separate from the manufacturer but they both have Tesla in their names which means ultimately they have a relationship.