Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fast charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, here it is anyway: (It's the Batteries, Stupid!)

dpeilow himself wrote this thoughtful response: ;)

So can we claim prior art?

I'd been looking into cost of ~megawatt supplies in general and a few case studies from around the UK in particular for my day job when I wrote that. I'm still convinced that it's viable and cheaper than a truckload of batteries (which then have to be slowly recharged).

My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Quick Charging comes to Southern California
In a forward thinking move, Mitsubishi Electric and Mitsubishi Motors North America have partnered to build a solar-powered charging station for electric vehicles at the Mitsubishi Motors corporate headquarters in Cypress, California. This station was unveiled today, and will be available to the general public beginning next week. Initially at least, charging will be free to all-comers and available during regular business hours.

Not only is this charging station the first of it's kind in Cypress, it is the first of it's kind in Southern California, being as it features the first DC Quick Charger in this part of the state. The DC quick charger, manufactured by the Eaton Corporation and featuring the CHAdeMO charging connector, is capable of recharging electric vehicles, like their own Mitsubishi "i", to 80% charged in around 25 minutes. This is an area infrastructure addition that has been hugely anticipated by local electric vehicle owners.
Img_5806.jpg

So can we claim prior art?

Not a lawyer, but probably depends on what specifically the patent is about...

I'd been looking into cost of ~megawatt supplies in general and a few case studies from around the UK in particular for my day job when I wrote that. I'm still convinced that it's viable and cheaper than a truckload of batteries (which then have to be slowly recharged).

I'm sure in general that is the case, but there might be a good number of exceptions.

No longer just in the UK:
EVOasis - Electric Vehicle Rapid-Charging
Stations Coming Soon
Carlsbad I-5
Laguna Niguel
San Juan Capistrano
Newport Beach
San Diego-Airport I-5
Encinitas Hwy 101
Santa Monica
Malibu Hwy 101
Burbank
Pasadena
Manhattan Beach
Irvine
Anaheim
Santa Barbara
20-Minutes seems like a long time-until you step inside our doors
Each Evoasis station is designed to maximize convenience during your 20-Minute Rapid Charging Period
The Following Services are available on or near most Evoasis EVSTAT and ChargeXpress locations
Organic Coffee
Bakery Items
Sandwiches
Soft Drinks
Juices
Organic Foods
Deli Products
Fruit & Nuts
Specialty Teas
US Mail Drop
FEDEX Shipping
Printing/FAX
Dry Cleaning
EV/HEV Rentals
ZipCar Memberships
Vehicle Safety Checks
Music & Movie Rentals
Event and Theater Tickets
Local Merchant Featured Items
Courtesy Shuttle
Roadside Assistance
Group Insurance
Group Vehicle Lease/Finance
Travel Services
Vehicle Battery Testing
And Much, Much
Much
More!

I sent them an e-mail asking them about what kind of level 2 charging they had (up to 80A or the typical 30A J1772) and if they planned on supporting the Tesla DC fast charging.

edit: I heard back. Only DC charging to start with a mostly California build out over the next 3-4 years. They plan to support "ChaDeMo and US SAE capability on most of our EVSE units" (quote from the e-mail).

Last edited:
I sent them an e-mail asking them about what kind of level 2 charging they had (up to 80A or the typical 30A J1772) and if they planned on supporting the Tesla DC fast charging.

edit: I heard back. Only DC charging to start with a mostly California build out over the next 3-4 years. They plan to support "ChaDeMo and US SAE capability on most of our EVSE units" (quote from the e-mail).

Who is the origin of the mail

I wouldn't (necessarily) expect third parties to announce support for Tesla DC fast charging until there are thousands of Model S in CA. (Though always worth a question.)

Angus Clark | LinkedIn
...Evoasis is a San Diego, California and London, UK based company which develops full service Fast-Charge, Electric Vehicle (EV) and Plug-In Hybrid-Electric Vehicle (PHEV) Charging Station Facilities (EVSTAT) for deployment in metro areas and roadway access points in both the public and private sector. EVSTAT Stations are electrical “Sub-Stations” in their own right, using utility power stored during off-peak generation to supply EV and PHEV battery power at peak demand hours, thereby reducing the load placed on energy utilities during these periods. EVSTAT Stations also generate on-site power from green energy sources built into the structure, with over 6000 square feet of photovoltaic (PV) panels, further reducing station energy grid-dependency during sunrise-to-sunset operating hours. In addition, our green energy division, Utiligen, utilizes fuels such as Propane, Compressed Natural Gas and Standard Natural Gas to generate DC power for Rapid-Charging of EV's and HEV's. Evoasis is deploying Rapid-Charging stations in the California Coastal Corridor under our CHARGEXPRESS brand. Whether running your vehicle on “Grid-Grade” or “All Green” energy, Evoasis maximizes the use of renewable energy and low-carbon alternate-fuels in all our operational locations...

What do they mean by "operational locations"?

----

http://media.greenisgood.fm/media/recycling/2010-09-11-Evoasis-and-Bloom-with-Barb.mp3
(Audio interview starting at 6:00...)

At 21:15:
"...Our London location is on the former Battersea power station site in central London, in the borough of Wandsworth..."

Last edited:
Evoasis Corporation: Private Company Information - BusinessWeek
Company Overview

Evoasis Corporation designs and develops electric vehicle (EV) and plug-in hybrid-electric vehicle (PHEV) charging station facilities focusing on metro areas and roadway access points. The company offers EVSTAT, an electrical substation that generates on-site power from green energy sources for EVs and PHEVs. The company also provides vehicle battery diagnostics, safety inspection, and power usage recording and reporting services. The company is based in Del Mar, California. Evoasis Corporation operates as a subsidiary of US REIT Corporation.

Anyone considering investing may want to proceed with caution...
Ripoff Report | Angus J. Clark - Leap Capital Partners Limited - Investmarque | Complaint Review: 470987

US REIT Corporation: Private Company Information - BusinessWeek
US REIT Corporation is a holding company, operates through its subsidiaries Evoasis, Solargenus and Sunstruc Corporation and develops fast-charge; electric vehicle (EV) and plug-in hybrid-electric vehicle (PHEV) charging station facilities (EVSTAT) for deployment in metro areas and roadway access points in both the public and private sector. The company also provides solar power generation equipment installation and maintenance services. The company has offices in London, United Kingdom and San Diego, United States. US REIT Corporation was incorporated in 2006 and is based in Wilmington, Delaware.

In the two and a half years since all the hoopla about these coming to London, I'm not aware of a single one of them. Anyone else?

Charge her up: petrol stations to go electric | News
17 Mar 2009
...Evoasis is setting up the first electric-car garage in Grovesnor Road, Pimlico, where up to 12 bays with high-power outlets will be able to recharge a battery in about 20 minutes...
A further five stations will be established by the end of the year...

Did that happen?

I'd guess if they had operational CHAdeMO stations, we would have already heard about these "high-power outlets", unless they sort of kept it secret... so if they have something, it probably isn't CHAdeMO. Seems more like they changed plans or something.

When you click "Find charging stations" on their website, you get http://www.evchargermaps.com/

The FAQ seems to have been written Dec 2010 and not updated very much, though it says "Last reviewed July 2011".

My impression would be that they didn't get very far beyond the early planning stage.