Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faulty High Voltage Battery - 2014 Model S 85 RWD, with Tech Package with Autopilot (AP1), 101k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a Brown 2014 Model S 85 RWD withMCU1 and 101k miles that just sprang up a series of BMS service codes for the high voltage battery pack (hv). The quote from Tesla Service is ~$20K to replace the pack. Of course, the car has had zero drive train and battery issues up until this last weekend. Like others here, we've babied the car and hardly ever charge to 100% SOC. This was our first Tesla, and our favorite, but it's sitting at the dealer and bricked at this point. If anybody is looking for a very clean car to fix up or part out we are open to reasonable best offers. We are in central California in the 95380 area code.

These are the service codes our MS is displaying.
IMG_2521.jpeg

If only things were that easy… 10 year and 150k warranties on the entire battery… The recent ARB regulations that were adopted in respect the 10yr/150k miles are for battery capacity to be at least 80% at 10yrs. The regulations are also a phase in starting in 2026. The rules are very detailed and specific regarding other minimum requirements for sellers.

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default/files/barcu/regact/2022/accii/2acciifro1962.8.pdf

By model year 2030, the rules require the vehicle to maintain at least 80% of electric range for 10 years or 150,000 miles. (Phased in from 70% for 2026 through 2029 model year vehicles.) By model year 2031, individual vehicle battery packs are warranted to maintain 75% of their energy for eight years or 100,000 miles. (Phased in from 70% for 2026 through 2030 model years.) ZEV powertrain components are warranted for at least three years or 50,000 miles.

• Informative
Reactions: Araex and Hiline
There are third parties that specialize in repair or replacing these packs. Do not be quick to toss out a valued family member ;)
If you know of any shops on the west coast, or in CA, I’m all ears? It’s my wife’s car and I’d love to keep it on the road, but paying $20k for a replacement from Tesla (that was the quote) for a car that was only worth $20k is a tough pill to swallow. Sure buying another $100k car is also foolish/laughable, but we’ve already got standing reservations for a Rivian R1S Max Pack and the Cybertruck, but those are still vaporware sadly. If we sell this one or get it repaired for a reasonable price it we are open to either option.

Local to me here in OC/SD

Alternatively, Bay Area and a long standing name in the world of Tesla enthusiasts
Thanks Steel, We'll check these repair shops out ASAP.

If only things were that easy… 10 year and 150k warranties on the entire battery… The recent ARB regulations that were adopted in respect the 10yr/150k miles are for battery capacity to be at least 80% at 10yrs. The regulations are also a phase in starting in 2026. The rules are very detailed and specific regarding other minimum requirements for sellers.

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default/files/barcu/regact/2022/accii/2acciifro1962.8.pdf

By model year 2030, the rules require the vehicle to maintain at least 80% of electric range for 10 years or 150,000 miles. (Phased in from 70% for 2026 through 2029 model year vehicles.) By model year 2031, individual vehicle battery packs are warranted to maintain 75% of their energy for eight years or 100,000 miles. (Phased in from 70% for 2026 through 2030 model years.) ZEV powertrain components are warranted for at least three years or 50,000 miles.
I did not read into details, just rules applied from 1990 to current. I guess i was under wrong assumption that "any" car that has a battery in California (EV, hybrid, plug-in hybrid) are warrantied to 150k miles or 10 years. Good luck

Reactions: Guchmyster
I don’t understand the logic in Tesla charging 20k for a new battery. Or maybe it’s the warranty I don’t understand. Because if they expect a customer to shell out 20k, they should warrant this battery equivalent to the original. Ok maybe 100,000 max but you get the point. A 4 year 50k warranty on a new 20k battery is not sufficient at all. This has to be a new pack for that price so they should have a better warranty than a refurb pack. I’ve heard the refurbished packs go for $12.5k and are 50k miles or 48 months. I’d do that if it were me

We have a Brown 2014 Model S 85 RWD withMCU1 and 101k miles that just sprang up a series of BMS service codes for the high voltage battery pack (hv). The quote from Tesla Service is ~$20K to replace the pack. Of course, the car has had zero drive train and battery issues up until this last weekend. Like others here, we've babied the car and hardly ever charge to 100% SOC. This was our first Tesla, and our favorite, but it's sitting at the dealer and bricked at this point. If anybody is looking for a very clean car to fix up or part out we are open to reasonable best offers. We are in central California in the 95380 area code.
photos and asking price?

photos and asking price?
Updates: The car was removed from Tesla Service in Stockton by AAA and delivered to EV’s Republic in Rancho Cordova last week, but Tesla Service forgot to mention they had removed the HV battery, placed it in isolation, and they sent the car off to the other shop without the HV battery! This is causing us another full week of delays in getting the actual issue diagnosed… a total fail on their part. Part of the delay is Tesla had to wait for a technician to come and de-energize the HV pack before re-installing it in the car, yes, the car was delivered back to Tesla so it could be reinstalled in the car. We are obviously fuming over all this, but eager to have our issue diagnosed, rather than just dumb-swapping major parts blindly to “fix” the issue, which is a whole issue in itself. Updates to follow.

Updates: The car was removed from Tesla Service in Stockton by AAA and delivered to EV’s Republic in Rancho Cordova last week, but Tesla Service forgot to mention they had removed the HV battery, placed it in isolation, and they sent the car off to the other shop without the HV battery! This is causing us another full week of delays in getting the actual issue diagnosed… a total fail on their part. Part of the delay is Tesla had to wait for a technician to come and de-energize the HV pack before re-installing it in the car, yes, the car was delivered back to Tesla so it could be reinstalled in the car. We are obviously fuming over all this, but eager to have our issue diagnosed, rather than just dumb-swapping major parts blindly to “fix” the issue, which is a whole issue in itself. Updates to follow.
I can’t believe it, but I can after hearing some SC stories. How much is EV republic charging to fix?