Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faulty seal near window

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 8 month old M3 has passenger side wind noise, and after searching and reading other threads here, I think my problem has a different root cause than what others have experienced. The rubber seal on the frame (near the top corner of the passenger front window) is not "sealed".

I would love to hear suggestions for the best way to fix this.

tesla seal.jpg

Attachments

• tesla seal.jpg
    tesla seal.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 275
Can't see anything wrong with the seal with your finger in the way while pulling on the seal.

If you can close the windows and doors and insert a 3/8" wide strip of copy paper between the glass and seal without the paper strip buckling, then you have an obvious leak for both water and air.

Take the inner door panel off and realign the door glass. There are YouTube.com videos showing how to do that. Replacing the door seal will work if the door glass is properly aligned.

Looks pretty normal to me. That "seal" is just supposed to barely touch the window glass and barely tuck under the B pillar glass. If yours is sticking out of the B pillar and won't stay tucked in, try pushing firmly up/aft on the whole weatherstrip to ensure that it's fully seated. Nothing holds the weatherstrip on, it simply pushes into place.

Is the seal at the B pillar glass supposed to be fully attached? Mine is not sticking out, but on the frame near the other 3 doors, that same seal is fully attached from top to bottom. It is not attached on the frame nearest the passenger front door, hence the ability to pull it back. It seems that is how air enters the cabin when the vehicle is driven at sufficient speed, causing the noise.

Last edited:
Is the seal at the B pillar glass supposed to be fully attached? Mine is not sticking out, but on the frame near the other 3 doors, that same seal is fully attached from top to bottom. It is not attached on the frame nearest the passenger front door, hence the ability to pull it back. It seems that is how air enters the cabin when the vehicle is driven at sufficient speed, causing the noise.
Those are double seals. You can test your theory, add a little tape to block that gap, or you can add a little thin molding under the existing molding to push it out a little to close that gap.

My 8 month old M3 has passenger side wind noise, and after searching and reading other threads here, I think my problem has a different root cause than what others have experienced. The rubber seal on the frame (near the top corner of the passenger front window) is not "sealed".

I would love to hear suggestions for the best way to fix this.

View attachment 861621
There is definitely "something wrong" with the seal/ window in your pictures, IMHO.
I looked at my car and there is no way to pull the edge of a seal by finger out like that.
It looks like the window is too far forward and I have no idea how that would be possible.
Or more likely that rubber seal is in the wrong position, came loose or some other issue.
I can post pictures of mine on a 2022 Model 3.
In your pictures are we looking at the seal for the pillar camera? And not the window seal?

Attachments

• 20230101_115635.jpg
    20230101_115635.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 147
  • 20230101_115652.jpg
    20230101_115652.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 130