Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FBI going after Tesla over number of 2017 M3s made?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model 3 production reportedly under investigation by the FBI

Under examination is the company’s public statements about Model 3 productions as compared to the number of vehicles that were actually built. The company recently turned its first quarterly profit in two years after smoothing out what Tesla CEO Elon Musk called “production hell” on the Model 3.

In early 2017, Musk laid out an aggressive production plan for the Model 3, predicting it would be producing 20,000 vehicles a month by December 2017. “Looks like we can reach 20,000 Model 3 cars per month in Dec,” he tweeted on in July, a few days before Model 3 assembly began in earnest. But production delays and miscalculations resulted in only 2,700 Model 3s being built in all of 2017. The company finally reached its goal of building 5,000 Model 3 vehicles in one week in June 2018, but recently fell below that number.”

Or is this the verge trying to create controversy where none exists? See:

In a statement, a spokesperson said Tesla received a “voluntary request for documents from the Department of Justice about its public guidance for the Model 3 ramp” and that the company was cooperating. “We have not received a subpoena, a request for testimony, or any other formal process, and there have been no additional document requests about this from the Department of Justice for months,” the spokesperson said.”

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
...aggressive production plan...

With that kind of understanding from WSJ, Tesla would have committed too many countless crimes as it has missed many deadlines and targets (Autonomous coast-to-coast in the end of 2017, promised a delivery timeline for an owner...)

A company has the right to set its own voluntary targets and miss them. It's bad for reputation but no crime at all!

Reactions: Magus
Why the FBI? Wouldn't that be a concern of the SEC? No matter to me either way what they did.

No. The SEC only handles civil matters. The FBI, on the other hand, handles civil and criminal matters, and works closely with the DOJ as to whether to bring federal criminal charges against perpetrators or not. Those two agencies work in concert to determine if there is enough evidence to support a criminal indictment. Then the lawyers take over.

My buddy the Tax / Corp lawyer was seriously confused when I showed him this story. He kept insisting there has to be something else because he couldn’t figure out what in the article’s description at least... would be worth the FBI’s time. I tend to toss a lot of “left wing political” stuff his way so he at first was just assumed I wasn’t looking at a real news site... ;)
(He’s useful that way, I can fact check my biases through him a lot...)

I really don't understand the meat behind this story. At first I thought that they were claiming that the reports of the number of Model 3's that were actually built were falsified, but as I read the story it starts to sound like they are whining that Tesla gave optimistic deadlines and goals.

It's like they've never heard of the concept of safe harbor statements?

(Checking facts - in the past I've heard that all Tesla conference calls are preceded by a blanket caveat reminder of safe harbor forward-looking statements. Is that true?)

I'm not one for conspiracy theories but I am slowly changing my mind. Tesla has a great quarter and the sorts lose big time. Then this story comes out. There is a lot of big money that wants Tesla to fail and that money has a lot of political power. The timing is very strange.

I know about Martin Eberhard but he's just a footnote in the history of Tesla. Without Elon, Tesla would be making a couple hundred Roadsters per year assuming it was even still around.
Probably true but give Eberhard credit for being the initial visionary and getting things going. Also, the early history isn’t without personality issues. I am a big Musk fan but, like all of us, he has flaws and hasn’t always been the nicest person.