Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature request : Cabin Cooling Timer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully.

Another feature I'd like is a 'window crack' option (this might only be relevant for the hotter locations). Every day when I park at the office (uncovered, Dallas), I crack all my windows by an inch or so, and tilt the sunroof. If I had 1 button that did that for me, that would be great. Tie it in to the rain sensor to close everything up when it gets stormy, and that would make it awesome :)

Hopefully.

Another feature I'd like is a 'window crack' option (this might only be relevant for the hotter locations). Every day when I park at the office (uncovered, Dallas), I crack all my windows by an inch or so, and tilt the sunroof. If I had 1 button that did that for me, that would be great. Tie it in to the rain sensor to close everything up when it gets stormy, and that would make it awesome :)

When I get my model S and if they allow us to use the API, I will have a lot of fun with my car and my computer ;)

From what I understand, only a small percentage of people with programable thermostats actually program it.

When I first acquired a programmable thermostat, I programmed it for different temperatures and my electric bill skyrocketed. Now it's programmed for just one temperature and my electric bill is much lower. Maybe there are some places where varying the temperature helps, but here in Texas all that happens is that you spend a lot more getting the temperature back down to livable.

When I first acquired a programmable thermostat, I programmed it for different temperatures and my electric bill skyrocketed. Now it's programmed for just one temperature and my electric bill is much lower. Maybe there are some places where varying the temperature helps, but here in Texas all that happens is that you spend a lot more getting the temperature back down to livable.

There are several studies that show that allowing the temperature to go up on a hot day, even for a few minutes, saves energy compared to keeping it at a steady state.

There are several studies that show that allowing the temperature to go up on a hot day, even for a few minutes, saves energy compared to keeping it at a steady state.

Perhaps, but it sure didn't show up on my electric bill. I suspect those studies were done in areas that don't get all that hot.

Perhaps, but it sure didn't show up on my electric bill. I suspect those studies were done in areas that don't get all that hot.

Works for me in Dallas. We have various settings for the summer months, but generally 75-77 when the house is occupied, and 80-83 (hotter upstairs) when it's not. We compare utility bills at the office, I win, despite having other large power draws (pool, 3 ladies in the house who can't work the off position of a light switch, etc etc).

Sane here. I set mine to 80 when I leave so not really hot but doesn't have too far to go when I get home.

I think with the mobile app and your ability to remotely cool your car, a lot of these things might not be necessary. Would still be nice if car could learn your schedule (if you had a predictable M-F work schedule) and pre-cool or pre-heat the car for you.

Nest will actually learn from that kind of behavior, as it takes into consideration outside temperature as well.

I don't have a Nest but seriously thinking of getting one. I bought a programmable thermostat 5 years ago but never bothered programming it, simple because on a very hot day even 80 feels comfortable in the house. But how do you program in a hot day?

Hopefully.

That's a really good idea! Especially for all us who have experienced an unexpected rain and wet interior from an open sunroof. I suggest you send an email to Tesla - it seems really easy to implement over a software update!

I noticed my Jetta does the 'window crack' automatically if I tap the windows with the power in the car off but haven't opened any doors yet. (The sunroof adjustment also works until doors opened)

I also noticed that the MB sourced windows controls behaved just like my VW Jetta ones while on the test drive. But I didn't try the 'window crack' function on the test drive.

Long story short, I expect it is already part of the window controls but if it isn't then I agree it would be a nice addition.

But you have to 'tap' all 4 window buttons, right? And do they just drop a predefined amount, or for as long as you hold the switch? That's my problem, I never hit the (fictitious) gap which is wide enough for airflow, but narrow enough to keep the bad guys out :). So I end up shuffling the windows up and down til I get it just so.

Not sure if this was mentioned on some other thread but, this is something I wanted to have to allow hot air to vent before getting into the car (if the cabin's not cooled a priori):

Rod and Barbara | SEPTEMBER 4, 2012
BYT, yes you can open all the windows on the S using the key fob by pressing and holding down the center top of the key fob car.

LESSONS LEARNED

Nest will actually learn from that kind of behavior, as it takes into consideration outside temperature as well.

I don't have a Nest but seriously thinking of getting one. I bought a programmable thermostat 5 years ago but never bothered programming it, simple because on a very hot day even 80 feels comfortable in the house. But how do you program in a hot day?

Have 4 Nest thermostats that independently monitor the environment. You can check the ambient temps, time of operation for each thermostat, and adjust according to your tastes online or on the thermostat. You can also control it remotely at anytime, including shutting down while you are on vacation. One feature I particularly enjoy is the "AirCool" feature which runs the air con, cools the vents, reaches set temperature, then shuts off the compressor, leaving only the fan on. The ambient temps of the vents keep cool air flowing for a bit longer, and maximizes efficiency. My house feels comfortable throughout so far (3 months in service) and I have noticed a $60/month drop in electrical use compared to last year, FWIW.

Now, back on topic...

I hope the Model S can be programmed to do the "AirCool" trick which can only periodically run the compressor and maximize efficiency. It might make the sweltering desert I live in a little more tolerable next August.

Another vote for Nest, had two of them since the start of the year, and they're great. I didn't use the self-learning feature because I'm way too obsessive about the cooling schedule, but I agree, the airwave, and auto-away feature are saving me about 20%, and my previous stats were tightly programmed.

In terms of airwave in a car, I'm not sure that would work so well. At least in my 2 current cars, if I turn the air off, it takes just a few seconds for the air to get very humid and warm. I assume this is just to do with the relative size of the area being cooled, and the number of cooling coils with the compressor (and the length of duct work). Airwave works on the principle that theres residual cooling capability in the coils after the compressor shuts off, but in a car I suspect that's very short-lived.

Another vote for Nest, had two of them since the start of the year, and they're great. I didn't use the self-learning feature because I'm way too obsessive about the cooling schedule, but I agree, the airwave, and auto-away feature are saving me about 20%, and my previous stats were tightly programmed.

I haven't used the Nest, but the programming with the HVAC's unit increased the electricity cost because it took more energy to get the house back down to temperature than it takes to keep it at a single temperature. However, my house is probably smaller than most of yours (1800 sq.ft.) and I have a fair amount of equipment that doesn't like to get hot. Also my HAVC is 19 SEER so it's reasonably efficient to start with.

In terms of airwave in a car, I'm not sure that would work so well. At least in my 2 current cars, if I turn the air off, it takes just a few seconds for the air to get very humid and warm. I assume this is just to do with the relative size of the area being cooled, and the number of cooling coils with the compressor (and the length of duct work). Airwave works on the principle that theres residual cooling capability in the coils after the compressor shuts off, but in a car I suspect that's very short-lived.

Right, very short lived. Run the fan at a drive-in movie in winter and cold air will start blowing in under a minute. The cooling coils don't have any more capacity than the heating coils.